The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the "smart airbags" are installed and employed?

I know the other older Exiges from mid 2000's needed a few mods before they are allowed on the road and make it through customs.

So is it technically allowed to import one and have it modded to make it legal/road legal?

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Car import to Canada

This subject comes up every 6 months.

To be able to import a car from USA to Canada, it has to be on the 'allowed car' list from Canada Customs.... and the simple answer is Elise/Exige is NOT.

Otherwise, the process is very simple (due to NAFTA). You may recall that a few years back when the Canadian $$ started going up against US the newspapers were full of adds for importing US cars and a lot of cars were so imported.

If the car in on the allwed list. You drive it across the border, take in Canadian Tire, get a certificate, usually $300 to $500 worth of mods, register the car at the local MTO. My firend did it to a Toyota SUV, simple. The roads are full of US cars, here. Sometimes a certificate is required from the manufacturer that the vehicle complies to Canadina standards for low-volume models i.e. a Ferrari. to discourage the 'grey market' and to protect its Canadian distributor, Ferrari charged $10,000 to issue such a certificate for every car that was so imported! :)
The cars themselves were, of course, identical in Canada and the US.

Anton

...the "smart airbags" are installed and employed?

I know the other older Exiges from mid 2000's needed a few mods before they are allowed on the road and make it through customs.

So is it technically allowed to import one and have it modded to make it legal/road legal?

·
Registered
383 Posts
No. Not allowed. No Elises or Exiges are allowed into Canada, regardless of mods.
Stupid stupid rule. Not only are the cars identical, Canadian cars actually have no bumpers, where in the US they were mandated as of '07.
Some Canadian dealer(s) must have friends in Ottawa!
Anyway, I bought my brand new Elise SC at the same price as US dealers were selling them. So you can still negotiate! But used pricing is way less in the US. Sucks if you want a used model.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts