The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to know where I can be faster... any thoughts?

This is the best run from my last autocross...

https://vimeo.com/47840384

I botched the launch, and I find myself having trouble with tight turns. I either come out of them and find myself bogging down in 2nd gear, or on the gas too early and sliding around a bit.

I'm running on 205/50/16 and 235/45/17 star specs, with a SS blackwatch swaybar on the 2nd softest setting. LSS wheels and suspension.

Maxxed out front camber, 3 shims in rear (car came with 5). Not sure what that translates to in degrees. The additional camber in the back seemed to help this last event. Planning on getting more accurate measurements for camber soon.

The courses that have been used a lot in the local regions lately have involved a lot of tight, 180 degree turns, and I seem to always either drift through those, or come out of them at 2k rpms with no power whatsoever, totally unable to find the middle ground.

I have a similar problem with the slaloms, it's either slow and smooth, or way WAY too fast and I end up ass over teakettle.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
First suggestion, Middle setting on sway bar. You looked a bit too far off the cones on the 180 degree turns, but it was hard to say due to camera angle. The slaloms could have been run through about 10mph faster. With their spacing you should have been at the edge of your rev limiter in second. Overall, very smooth (which is quite important) and you showed no confusion on spotting your next turn.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Adder,

On some of my other runs I tried sticking closer to the cones and slid around a good deal, I think I needed to brake harder, gas sooner, and stay tighter on the line in the 180s.

I know I can hit those slaloms faster, the problem for me is execution. I'm either way too hard, or way too soft. I guess seat time is the key to finding the limit.

When you say edge of the rev limiter in 2nd, you mean through the slaloms? Cause that would be a LOT faster than I was getting through them... On the 2nd part of the run, coming out of the slalom I hit lift before getting to the next slalom (on a different run), but in the slalom I don't think I crested 4.5k rpms on any of the runs.

In the video I posted, fastest of the day, I don't think I hit lift at all.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Would love to know where I can be faster... any thoughts?

This is the best run from my last autocross...

https://vimeo.com/47840384

I botched the launch, and I find myself having trouble with tight turns. I either come out of them and find myself bogging down in 2nd gear, or on the gas too early and sliding around a bit.

I'm running on 205/50/16 and 235/45/17 star specs, with a SS blackwatch swaybar on the 2nd softest setting. LSS wheels and suspension.

Maxxed out front camber, 3 shims in rear (car came with 5). Not sure what that translates to in degrees. The additional camber in the back seemed to help this last event. Planning on getting more accurate measurements for camber soon.

The courses that have been used a lot in the local regions lately have involved a lot of tight, 180 degree turns, and I seem to always either drift through those, or come out of them at 2k rpms with no power whatsoever, totally unable to find the middle ground.

I have a similar problem with the slaloms, it's either slow and smooth, or way WAY too fast and I end up ass over teakettle.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!
I launch Star Specs at about 4500 RPM.

You slaloms look good. I think you can go a bit faster with the same technique.

It is really difficult for me to tell if you are using the whole course on those nasty pin turns. Be sure you come really close to all three important cones.
You might consider first gear for the really slow ones. I just came from an atypical event that was all first gear in an Elise on Star Specs.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Philethier,
A first gear course? You must have ruled that day.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Philethier,
A first gear course? You must have ruled that day.
I wish it were so, but a bunch of built Evos and other such cars did well. I and my Star Specs were back in 14th. I had trouble getting a clean run.

On the other hand, my last run was in the rain, and you should see how Rain-X works at 104 MPH. (The slow autocross portion was followed by a an untimed-but-radar-gunned straight run out on a taxiway. My runs in the dry topped out on the gun at 105.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you going to the NC championships weekend of 29/30 Sep? I'll be there, happy to help with some tips... Look for the red '88 Crx in STS...

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not fireant... right?

I'm not sure if I'll be there or not, but if you see a black elise with black wheels, that'd be me. I'll keep an eye out. Where is it being held? I usually stick to CCR / SCR / Triad events that are within about 2 hours driving distance.

Your taste in cars is impeccable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Correction: NCAC champs are weekend of 6 Oct...

·
Registered
369 Posts
And they will be held at cherry point military base better sign up soon the registration deadline is slowly creeping up

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, you should have come to NCAC...

In other news, are you coming to Myrtle Beach this Saturday? The Cape Fear Lotus Club is attending and we have our own PAX class. Would love it if you attended and joined our class.

In other news, I think I remember you being at an event at Freestyle Park in MB back in the spring...

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Instruction instruction instruction. Get all you can at any event you attend. Do take a pro driving school somewhere.

That's pretty much what I tell every student I have. Don't spend money on sway bars, etc, etc. - spend it on YOU!

My main comment from watching the vid is you seem a bit heavy handed. I know in a AX course you have tighter turns that the track so you'll have to shuffle some but your hands look both very busy and like you have a rather tight grip on the wheel (specifically when I see your thumbs wrap around). I try to drive mine never wrapping my thumbs as this forces me to have a lighter touch with it. As I said that's probably harder with AX that with track driving...

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to evo school in November, and we just had an "instructor" day here which was basically 10 runs with some of the really good CCR guys giving feedback.

I was watching some videos of Matthew Braun, and I'm definitely lazy as hell with my steering inputs. That's some of the feedback I got from the instructors at the last event too.

At our last points event, the course was laid out with fewer hairpins, so I was able to put my hands at 9 and 3 and cross my arms just a bit to make all the turns.

I'm so hooked on this, and it's ridiculous because I spend all day in order to drive for a total of about 3 minutes. No sane person should enjoy this.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to evo school in November, and we just had an "instructor" day here which was basically 10 runs with some of the really good CCR guys giving feedback.

I was watching some videos of Matthew Braun, and I'm definitely lazy as hell with my steering inputs. That's some of the feedback I got from the instructors at the last event too.

At our last points event, the course was laid out with fewer hairpins, so I was able to put my hands at 9 and 3 and cross my arms just a bit to make all the turns.

I'm so hooked on this, and it's ridiculous because I spend all day in order to drive for a total of about 3 minutes. No sane person should enjoy this.
That's great to hear and will make a ton of difference in my opinion. Be careful of getting feedback from "really good guys" as there can be a huge difference with instruction. I know tons of guys that are great/outstanding drivers but horrible instructors. Just because someone calls someone "instructor" doesn't necessarily make them as such.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts