The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on others opinions on whether a respray would devalue due to perceptions that something was fixed vs refreshing the car. I'm planning on selling the car and don't want it to seem like there was a problem. The chips just anoy some people more than others...

I have star shield but it doesn't protect the whole front of the car. After a few drives through the hill country in Texas (following a few Sevens with sticky tires) I've got quite a few rock chips. I can get the paint done through a family members shop so I won't have to pay an arm and a leg but I'll get really good work. The previous owner also scraped the bottom of the front clam so I wouldn't mind seeing it all freshened up prior to selling it.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Should be fine, with:

- Before and after documentation and pics.
- A clean insurance/carfax showing that the car wasn't painted because of some accident/damage
- a kickass respray job!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I think it would depend on the quality of the respray.

San
agreed - its not like the "factory spray" was all that great to begin with :)

the main things is if repairs were made, they were made "well" and not hacked... you can tell a good bit by removing wheels liners and such.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the input! I was planning on doing the documentary photos but would have forgotten the date imprint. Now I just have to make the time o get it out there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not to go contrarian here, but a re-spray begs the question why...especially on a modern car. As a buyer, I'd prefer to see the warts as is...and then factor that into the asking price, rather than invest into a car as a seller and then hope to get the money back.

Ironically enough, I was just looking at this car on Craigslist this morning and stopped at "respray"...

1990 porsche S2 944 cabriolet RARE

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This would be a clam off respray. The point would be to increase value and desirability so if it's someone were to stop at "respray" then theres totally no point. I'll just have the lip touched up and leave it at that.

PS SwingLo your Avatar is awesome!

·
Registered
588 Posts
This would be a clam off respray. The point would be to increase value and desirability so if it's someone were to stop at "respray" then theres totally no point. I'll just have the lip touched up and leave it at that.

PS SwingLo your Avatar is awesome!
Don't want to sway you one way or another. I guess it matters how bad everything looks?

I am pretty sure we've seen cars go quick here with spidering and sizeable chin scrapes.

Can you post a pic of what you consider needing fixed?

·
Registered
591 Posts
i got my respray because i had the clam seams, and turn signals filled. then i decided i wanted the whole car done in orange. both clams came off for that procedure. not a cheap change either but damn it looks good. getting it back again tomorrow after having a few rock chips fixed and my new highline tuning lip

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I'm actually respraying mine, too. I bumped a guardrail at Grattan, so rather than painting half the car, I just told the guy to paint the whole thing. Going from a shoddy House of Kolor paint job (the paint was nice, the work not so much), to Chrome Orange. I figure nothing screams rebuilt title like a non-oem color. Staying oem helps, I'd guess.

Also shaving the turn signals and reflectors while he's at it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Even if you had the nicest paint job in the world, it won't be as marketable as a car with an OEM paint job and there's a good chance it will actually devalue the car. Best case scenario you only loose the money you spent on the paintjob itself. Why take the risk that you will find a buyer who appreciates the modifications you've made? If you really want a color change then just go with a high-quality vinyl wrap.

·
He's on fire!
3,462 Posts
Maybe if you're talking about an old ferrari. Lotus cars aren't expensive collector cars, and lotus paint isn't exactly stellar straight from the factory. Have a reputable shop respray it the original color and you'll not devalue the car, at least not in your lifetime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts