The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the Evora be a good choice for someone who loves to listen to music, but at the same time loves the open road, twists and turns, and track days? Because I've heard that it has a great sound system, yet the car itself is a bit tamed. Any Evora owners who could help?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The stock Evora stereo is left wanting. But with a little work, you can make it whatever you want to make it. There are examples in these forums of very nice stereo upgrades.

The car itself isn't "tamed." I'm not sure what that means, but if you turn off the nannies, I'd guess the Evora will do an about-face pretty quickly with poor technique. Is it the fastest car out there? No, but it's not slow by any means. And the driving experience, in my opinion is up there with McLaren. To me, only Ferrari provides a better drive.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mine was born wanting to be this.

It turned into this.

Meh.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Tame only in terms of rude comfort and sound proofing. It is not tame in terms of handling and grunt.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
As others have said, the stereo is not that great but easily upgradeable. I swapped out the speakers in mine with some JBLs that sound much better. The stock subwoofer is quite lacking. I have the Pioneer head unit which is great on features, but the sound could be better. I'm in the process of adding an amp to see how well that improves the sound. If I'm not satisfied, I have a Nakamichi that is just collecting dust. I haven't braved the chance to run wires to the amp yet. :rolleyes:

The Evora is a great car to listen to music in though & drive as crazy as you feel brave enough to. It's not like the Elise where all you hear is the engine/exhaust, if that's what you mean. The headliner provides really good sound absorption.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The interior, totally unlike an Elise or Exige, is quiet enough and big enough and free of metal surfaces to provide a decent acoustic environment.
It would make sense to invest in a quality system here.

Tame? Compared to what? Drive one and please get back to us with your review.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
The Evora stock sound system isn't the best but is perfectly palatable to a half deaf person. With age it seems most people can't hear above certain frequencies so if your old like me having high-end sounds becomes less and less pointless.

Oh and is not easy to change the stereo unless 'easy' meant handing the keys over to an installer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The interior, totally unlike an Elise or Exige, is quiet enough and big enough and free of metal surfaces to provide a decent acoustic environment.
It would make sense to invest in a quality system here.

Tame? Compared to what? Drive one and please get back to us with your review.
Haha, I just heard a few reviewers say that it lacks the fun that the Elise has, so I'm just checking. And I would've test driven it a long time ago if I had my license, eheheh.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
depends on your music choice imo. they system in the 2013 is pretty good and has some very easy to acess EQ or sound space pre-selects to adapt to what you like.

for Jazz, classical and my son's Tame Impala album it sounds great. for more blast rock it can't handle the imbedded distortion of that music style at all.

in the end, 6 months of reading how bad they could be, i was amazed with how really good it is for my tastes.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
depends on your music choice imo. they system in the 2013 is pretty good and has some very easy to acess EQ or sound space pre-selects to adapt to what you like.

for Jazz, classical and my son's Tame Impala album it sounds great. for more blast rock it can't handle the imbedded distortion of that music style at all.

in the end, 6 months of reading how bad they could be, i was amazed with how really good it is for my tastes.
This is spot on. I listen to a lot of heavy music & it does distort easily, especially the subwoofer. I personally use the graphic EQ for custom settings, which I like a lot. Smoother music is indeed much better handled with the Pioneer. For full disclosure I am an audiophile, so I'll critique anything anyway. ;)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
To the OP, you need to boost the bass significantly as the first step. The location of the subwoofer in the rear wall doesn't allow enough space to get it right - limited options. I had an open box with a vent connected to the rear haunch air intake and now I might have the box sealed for more recoil, to prevent "slapping" of the driver even though it's one of those super slim subs. Tough to get right.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
i would also add that the sound placement is surprising given the forward placement of all but the sub. that placement both front to back and side to side is very natural and i don't think i had to change it from stock. the EQ along with changing the emphasis also play a bit with that placement too and adds to the particular sound match.

i will consider swapping that sub and maybe trying to get something with a slightly higher range to pull the sound back a little more but that is next year as it goes up in a week.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
there are several threads on upgrading the ICE for the Evora in here. Google searching with site:lotustalk.com yields better results. Understanding the OP isn't necessarily interested in these sorts of details at this point since he will be purchasing years down the road (maybe) but since this thread is already helpful for others..

the Evora presents a pretty good soundstage and imaging options as it is. The front stage benefits greatly from just improving the drivers and adding power. Deadening the doors with about 2-3 pounds of high end deadener (raammat, hush mat, etc) and then adding in a few square feet of a light weight foam isolator/insulator like ensolite GREATLY improve the tonal range and output of the midbass drivers in the doors.

The factory sub location is subpar at best, provides very limited options, and the factory sub enclosure, power, and driver are crap. You can improve the driver and the enclosure by replacing both in the factory location, or you can expand the factory location a bit into that "cubby" with a discrete fiberglass enclosure, or you can build a pass footwell enclosure for a small driver. All greatly improve the system. Luckily in a small cabin you don't need crazy amounts of output to get clear volume.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
invictusmaneo - bringing her down to Tampa next spring for you to work on:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts