to 3/4", that have no sticky residue. By
'sticking' this tape onto the 'small' Elise
front plate holder would it be able to
hold a license plate, or one attached to
a metal backing, securely enough?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Not a bad idea, if the hold is strong enough. There are some fairly powerful small magnets out there... somebody probably makes something that works.

Cade

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have an idea. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Also found this at
www.themagnetmall.com
Once 'on site' click-on 'Mac's Hardware
Store'. There you will see under
'Magnetic Tool Organizer' a 6"X12"
magnetic panel (same measure ments as
a license plate). Also shown is a
magnetic rail that measures 2-1/4" x 12"
which might also be adaptable. If we
follow Chris' suggestion about sticking
a layer of 3M Film on the Elise 'Front'
Plate Holder, to insure not damaging the
finish upon its removal, then we would
just need a way to affix some form of
sheet-like metal to the 3M Film to allow
the magnetic panel or rail to hold
securely to it, holding the license plate
with it as well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
If we follow Chris' suggestion about sticking a layer of 3M Film on the Elise 'Front' Plate Holder, to insure not damaging the finish upon its removal...
My car already has the film on that part of the car. The Starshield cars are not all like this?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Dan said:
My car already has the film on that part of the car. The Starshield cars are not all like this?
The starshield cars cover the license plate area in film.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
what would be the advantage over velcro?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I'm bringing this one to life again.

Is it posible to build a front plate holder that can attach to the tow hook combined with velcro or magnets, and that is easy to remove if you need to be towed?

So far no problem but I bet I'll catch a Cop on a bad day and he gives me a fix it ticket someday.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yes. Good idea. I will work on it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Good news. Not having a front plate is not a moving violation and won't affect insurance rates. What's 50 Bucks anyways?

·
Registered
979 Posts
reganfin said:
Good news. Not having a front plate is not a moving violation and won't affect insurance rates. What's 50 Bucks anyways?
I understand what you're saying but in some areas, such as mine, cops are looking to give tickets for this on a daily basis. I've gotten 3 $50 tickets in a month's time. That's serious money over the course of a year. Not to mention they always use the sticky tape on your driver's side window instead of getting their lazy ass out of their car to put it under your wiper. I won't be putting on the plate but I'd like to know if a good option for it exists.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Here in San Diego, the missing front plate gives the cop an excuse to pull you over. They sniff around your car, look at your exhaust, maybe ask you pop the hood or measure your bumpers for ride height.. talk to your passengers, run your ID and paperwork..

If they find nothing, they just write up the plate as a fix-it and send you on your way, 30 minutes late.

I'd like to have a removable no-hole option for days like that. Something that bolts to the tow hook and provides a camera mount would be a $nice$ option.. :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Here in San Diego, the missing front plate gives the cop an excuse to pull you over. They sniff around your car, look at your exhaust, maybe ask you pop the hood or measure your bumpers for ride height.. talk to your passengers, run your ID and paperwork..

If they find nothing, they just write up the plate as a fix-it and send you on your way, 30 minutes late.

I'd like to have a removable no-hole option for days like that. Something that bolts to the tow hook and provides a camera mount would be a $nice$ option.. :)
Actually, I would like to have a motor controlled front plate that could,when pulled over, be visible with the push of a button. It would mean removing or altering the front grille. It could then be retracted as normal when not needed. Could you imagine the look on the cops face when he says "Sir, you are missing your front plate" and you say....."I'm sorry officer, I don't know what you are talking about....it was there the last time I looked. Have you been drinking?" LOL

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
pianomaniac said:
Could you imagine the look on the cops face when he says "Sir, you are missing your front plate" and you say....."I'm sorry officer, I don't know what you are talking about....it was there the last time I looked. Have you been drinking?" LOL
You don't think the officer isn't going to look at the mounting bracket and see if it moves? Taking the cop as an idiot, may just piss him off instead.

If it ever becomes a problem for me, I plan on showing the cop the sticker on the door jamb that says the car does not meet US bumper regulations. Then I'm going to explain that the car is designed for European "stick-on" numbers, and that a US plate won't fit - it will either block air flow if it's too high, scrape the ground if it's too low and rip out of the fiberglass (there isn't anything strong enough to mount it too). Hopefully that will work...

·
Registered
979 Posts
pianomaniac said:
Actually, I would like to have a motor controlled front plate that could,when pulled over, be visible with the push of a button. It would mean removing or altering the front grille. It could then be retracted as normal when not needed. Could you imagine the look on the cops face when he says "Sir, you are missing your front plate" and you say....."I'm sorry officer, I don't know what you are talking about....it was there the last time I looked. Have you been drinking?" LOL
Next step is to get multiple plates motorized like Bond and switch them when flying away from people.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
TimMullen said:
You don't think the officer isn't going to look at the mounting bracket and see if it moves? Taking the cop as an idiot, may just piss him off instead.

If it ever becomes a problem for me, I plan on showing the cop the sticker on the door jamb that says the car does not meet US bumper regulations. Then I'm going to explain that the car is designed for European "stick-on" numbers, and that a US plate won't fit - it will either block air flow if it's too high, scrape the ground if it's too low and rip out of the fiberglass (there isn't anything strong enough to mount it too). Hopefully that will work...
I haven't seen a cop yet who isn't already pissed off and looking for trouble. In LA, they don't hire cops for their mechanical abilities........just their bad attitude!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Design is done. I will get some quotes.

One input I need. In placing a front plate on the Elise, where vertically do you think it should end up?

1. The bottom of the plate even with the rectangular plate spot?

2. Lower, so the bottom of the plate is even with the bottom of the side wings?

3. Even lower. I want my license plate to scrape first.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
depends...if the plate scraping will happen with no significant damage to the car, then, yes I would say have the plate a little lower...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts