The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peripheral Input device Mouse Gadget Computer hardware

I think it would put too much force in to small an area right there. Frankly not sure I would want to put it on a steel car either?

kinda neat has magnets in there to hold in place.

Would be better if it had a large surface area at the top and the bottom.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
A short piece of 2 X 4 with a slot cut lengthwise or a hockey puck with a slot cut into it is all you need. Many of the Lotus's I have see have that tab bent over anyway from people just jacking the car up and bending the tab.The tab is only used for locating purposes so you get the jack in the right spot.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,384 Posts
Keep in mind, that metal tab is only there to prevent the scissors jack from moving/slipping when changing a flat. (Older cars like our '88 had a spoon-shaped retainer and a different jack)

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,384 Posts
@71type65 show Erik your custom hockey pucks again. :p :giggle:

Reactions: Erik L

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Light

Another thing I like about this approach, the rubber cushions and spreads the load. Make the slots narrow so they will grip the locating lugs and stay in place while aligning the jacks.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What tool did you use to cut the slot?

This might work - might not be deep enough.

Computer keyboard Peripheral Input device Gadget Rectangle

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Started by drlling a hole (note: rubber doesn't like to be drilled, but with perseverance it will succumb), then used a jig saw to cut the slots.

Works very nicely with the Quickjack.
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh - totally thought you used one of oscillating cutting tools. hmm have to give this a go on my Hockey Puck

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Oscillating tool could make a cleaner cut, but the roughness of the jig saw cut helps to grip and hold the puck in place.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Reactions: carbuff

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you're going to drill or cut your hockey puck freeze it first, you'll find it much easier to cut when the rubber is hard. By the way that's what the pros do when they use them in games. A cold puck doesn't bounce as much on a face-off.

·
Super Moderator
4,246 Posts
Hmmm - my late 88 and current 87 Esprit jacking point on the side body is more like this:
(round circle is 1/4" tall 'peg' that mates with body slot hole)
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Circle

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting that some Esprits can use a slotted puck like regular unibody spot-welded seamed cars.
I simply mimicked the factory jack tab with some .188 wall steel including the top nipple welded to a 4"x4" plate to place on my lift arm pads.
Positive locking and works amazing.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,384 Posts
^^ That last picture is what our lifting points look like.

But I HATE the creaking noise that the fiberglass makes when you lift the car by the sills...so I always use a floor jack on the front frame or rear chassis 'hoop'. It's been so long, I had forgotten about the locating pin 'hole'.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
If you're going to drill or cut your hockey puck freeze it first, you'll find it much easier to cut when the rubber is hard. By the way that's what the pros do when they use them in games. A cold puck doesn't bounce as much on a face-off.
Other tricks of the trade used by the pro's: 😖😯

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
818 Posts
I made some adapters for my jack stands to stay in the factory lift points. After looking at Finn5509's I think I'll add a little spacer to raise up the pinned rectangle up above the jack saddle. I always jack under the frame.
Gas Nut Metal Composite material Auto part

1 - 18 of 18 Posts