The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of buying 2 comforters and sewing them together instead of a car cover. does anyone see a major flaw in this idea? my car is going to be in a garage and the main reason i want it covered is to protect it from my kids they beat the crap out of stuff riding skateboards bikes etc. the comforters are going to be a lot thicker and more protective. i realize its not going to be a thing of beauty but its the car im worried about. im not going to be giving garage tours. if im missing somthing here someone let me know

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
hogfan said:
im thinking of buying 2 comforters and sewing them together instead of a car cover. does anyone see a major flaw in this idea? my car is going to be in a garage and the main reason i want it covered is to protect it from my kids they beat the crap out of stuff riding skateboards bikes etc. the comforters are going to be a lot thicker and more protective. i realize its not going to be a thing of beauty but its the car im worried about. im not going to be giving garage tours. if im missing somthing here someone let me know
My initial concern would be mildew and moisture. Most car covers breathe rather well but yours may not at all.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you want to protect it from kids, it's a good idea. As long as you wash the blanket (which you should anyway) there will be no problems with mildew or mold.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I don't know how old the kids are and so forth, but I'd be inclined to leave the car out in the open, and try to teach care and responsibility to the young ones. That's more important than a car.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
tonyyoshi said:
just remember to let the car cool down first, especially the exhaust tips....
yup, that's the flaw. This car takes an aweful long time to cool down for whatever reason. There are lots of parts in the rear that stay hot enough to start a serious fire for over an hour after shutting down.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
FWIW I never *ever* put a scratch/dent/anything in any of my dad's cars when growing up. I respected them and knew to be careful with them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
huggy bear said:
or just beat them with a stick. :D
That's not funny -- it's disgusting. Suggesting he beat a child. What kind of sicko are you?

He should just sell them on the black market.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pinmagic said:
That's not funny -- it's disgusting. Suggesting he beat a child. What kind of sicko are you?

i dont think i could get enough to cover shipping. as for the suggestion of teaching them responsibility, ages 10 8 5 and 2 along with their friends im lucky the house is still standing when i get home.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
i dont think he meant a dirty stick.
i am sure he meant a germ-free broom stick.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JWA said:
FWIW I never *ever* put a scratch/dent/anything in any of my dad's cars when growing up. I respected them and knew to be careful with them.
i just had a flash back to ferris buehlers day off:D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ferris Bueller moments

JWA said:
I nearly tore down the garage door with my dad's classic truck.

A week later, he backed into a loading dock with the tailgate down.

Both bumper and tailgate were finally replaced in a frame-off restoration a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
pinmagic said:

I'm the same sicko as you and the rest of us here waiting for a car for the past few years. I AM sick! We are all sick! That's the kind of sicko I am. I hope to be a different kind of sicko in a few weeks...one with a car. MUAHAHAHAHAHA :p

Hogfan,

How bout buying two sleeping bags and zipping them together? I can't sew.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
huggy bear said:
or just beat them with a stick. :D
LOL! we have to go back to the old ways of discipline.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my problems solved california car covers just called me and said they had a indoor plush cotton/flannel cover for only $136 custom fitted and can deliver within a week i said sold.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts