The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been in contact with a sales person at a Lotus dealer. My plan is to buy an Emira in 2024, hopefully by then it'll be easier to order one, there won't be mark ups, and Lotus will have some of the bugs worked out. Anyway, here's the last message that he sent me:

"I would say the best time would be next Summer to get an up date as for you to get the car the way you want it at the time that you want as we will have a better idea about the availability and what will be available as new options and colors also convertible !"

Now I'm not someone who is into open top motoring, but I know others are. I didn't see this discussed yet so I thought I would see if others have heard rumblings of a convertible as well. Would you choose the open top over the hard top?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be interested if there were a targa top.
Yeah I am assuming it would be some kind of targa like top and not a full roof, but who knows. It's all just speculation anyway, just wondering if others have heard this and if they are interested in the idea.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru BRZ
85 Posts
Folks waited for an open top Evora for 11 years, with plenty of rumors that promised that it's just around the corner. Judging by the ever shrinking side sills on the Evora and now the Emira I doubt it would be able to retain its structural rigidity with the roof off.
I'd put this dealer tidbit in the same bin as the one that promised a manual transmission on the AMG 2 liter - dealers talking out of their backside.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Folks waited for an open top Evora for 11 years, with plenty of rumors that promised that it's just around the corner. Judging by the ever shrinking side sills on the Evora and now the Emira I doubt it would be able to retain its structural rigidity with the roof off.
I'd put this dealer tidbit in the same bin as the one that promised a manual transmission on the AMG 2 liter - dealers talking out of their backside.
Oh for sure, but if it is possible, Lotus can not wait 11 years to make it. Realistically, this Emira has a lifespan with an ICE powertrain of 9-14 years, so I'd assume any open top version will have to arrive in the first 4-5 years to make it feasible to recoup the cost in developing it.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
9-14 years? I'd guess 5-7 max. It seems there isn't a car company out there that will be producing ICE cars after 2030, and we won't see an Emira until some time in 2022. Audi, BMW, MB (will have 12 all-electric models in the US for 2022) have stated they will be all-in on electrics over the next few years. For good or bad, you can't fight government incentives and regulations for very long. However, just for fun, note that the Audi etron is smaller in every dimension than the Q7 and Q8, weighs almost 6,000 pounds, or about 1,000 pounds more than a Q7, and the current range is 57% of a fully gassed Q7. And it also costs $10,000 more (which is 50,000 miles at $4/gal),

Interestingly, Porsche has said 80% of its vehicles will be electric by 2030 - but not the 911. As the engine is already in the back, adding batteries would make the car "undriveable." Will be tough to phase out your most iconic product. See New Coke.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
9-14 years? I'd guess 5-7 max. It seems there isn't a car company out there that will be producing ICE cars after 2030, and we won't see an Emira until some time in 2022. Audi, BMW, MB (will have 12 all-electric models in the US for 2022) have stated they will be all-in on electrics over the next few years. For good or bad, you can't fight government incentives and regulations for very long. However, just for fun, note that the Audi etron is smaller in every dimension than the Q7 and Q8, weighs almost 6,000 pounds, or about 1,000 pounds more than a Q7, and the current range is 57% of a fully gassed Q7. And it also costs $10,000 more (which is 50,000 miles at $4/gal),

Interestingly, Porsche has said 80% of its vehicles will be electric by 2030 - but not the 911. As the engine is already in the back, adding batteries would make the car "undriveable." Will be tough to phase out your most iconic product. See New Coke.
I was stating 9-14 years based on different countries targeting 2030 and 2035 as the last years they will sell ICE vehicles. Honestly, I am not sure it's realistic to think that every vehicle sold in 9-14 years will be electric. So much has to change in order for that to be possible. I do think electric/hydrogen vehicles are the future, I'm just uncertain they can comprise 100% of new vehicle sales in that time frame. But it's all politics. If these countries wanted to make a real difference in emissions and the environment there are much better ways to do that.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I would buy a convertible Emira. I would not buy a hard top Emira though. Instead I'd move to some other brand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hardtop convertible would be better for its convenience for fun driving experience. yes it will add weight though.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
NO!

Reactions: ryoung99

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I, for one, love the open roof experience of the Elise. I never drive with the top on. It's one of the best parts of the experience.

I'm seriously considering am Emira one or two years from now. I would love the option of open-top, but the details of how it operates matter to me. If I buy an Emira, it's for life. A complicated self-retracting roof that looks like it might not be in for the long haul would make me think twice. A simple, durable looking design, on the other hand, would steer me towards it. Additionally, while I really like the spider/targa top of the Elise, I don't like full convertibles. The air moves around such that it just kills my eyes.

I don't, however, think the Emira will be released with an open top as the design is basically an evolution of the Evora, which gains structural rigidity from the top. I'm certain that Lotus is not going to do any work on the chassis to beef it up to compensate for that weakness up top. The economies of scale do not make sense for them to do the R&D.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,230 Posts
I almost NEVER have my hardtop on my Elise - and I have the Visium transparent one.

Open air targa driving is a prerequisite for even THINKING about replacing my Elise with an Emira (or adding to the stable)...

If there's a remote chance of rain I'll toss the soft top in the back but 95% of the time I'm (driving) topless.

Power hardtop is tempting but there's OH-SO-MANY-THINGS that could go wrong - and it adds weight. Let me leave the hardtop at home - it's unlikely that it will store in the boot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would absolutely be interested in a convertible Emira. I love open-top driving.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I would absolutely be interested in a convertible Emira. I love open-top driving.
I've posted this before. I waited and waited for an Evora ragtargaspydervertiblester, especially as it was "designed in." I said I wouldn't get another Evora after my '12NA (and I gave up my '09 Elise to buy that); and I said that again after my '14S; and I said it again when I got my '17 400, and this time I meant it. There was just no reason for me to trade to a GT, and sadly, no reason to trade to an Emira. I ended up buying a different brand to get an open top car. Every major - and most minor - brand of sports car offers an open top car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts