The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for the perfect Elise for me I have come across a few new 06's and even an 05 that are still sitting on a dealer lots (Valenti) :eek:. For a few reasons, mainly price and color I have not bought one of these.

However I wonder what happens to a car when it just sits at a dealers lot for over 2/3 years? Can these car's be inspected and cleaned up and drive like new? Don't the tire's get flat spots from sitting so long? I am sure it's not good for the fuel system/rotors etc to sit for so long.

What is the record for a car to sit on a lot unsold? :crazyeyes

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
suggestion:

search for valenti in this forum.

make sure that they're a place with whom you want to strike a deal.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
They stink.

I test drove that silver 2005 they've had for years. It's pretty beat up for a car with so few miles.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ace,

I absolutely know about Valenti and I would never want to deal with them.

My question in general was what happens to these cars when they sit for so long.

Out of all the left overs the only one I might have considered was the Autumn Gold (definitely unique) at Mid-River but their asking price is way off base.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Our cars that sit in the sun run the risk of having the dashboards changing color and fading.

Windshield wiper dead.

All fluids should be checked before you drive the car.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
My question in general was what happens to these cars when they sit for so long.
maybe the AO48 tires would get flat spotted from sitting in the same position for so long., also ask for a new battery from the shelf to be installed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This is exactly what I got. The models don't change that much from year to year, and I was able to get a good price, this past November, on a new '06 Solar Yellow Elise. From Manhattan Motorcars.

Its a little tricky to explain that the car is two years old, I got it in November, but it had only 250 miles on it. BTW, that mileage was from test drives and shlepping the car between the Hampton and Manhattan showrooms.

Any problems it might have are covered by the warranty. The problems it did have were disconnected door lock button and something misaligned in the driver's side window.

Dan

·
Registered
378 Posts
I bought my '06 Elise off the lot in April 2007. I had been there for close to a year. She had 250 miles on her. I now have 10,000 miles on her with no issues.....sure enjoyed the 8k discount I got off the car for being an '06 though. :D

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
This is exactly what I got. The models don't change that much from year to year, and I was able to get a good price, this past November, on a new '06 Solar Yellow Elise. From Manhattan Motorcars.

Its a little tricky to explain that the car is two years old, I got it in November, but it had only 250 miles on it. BTW, that mileage was from test drives and shlepping the car between the Hampton and Manhattan showrooms.

Any problems it might have are covered by the warranty. The problems it did have were disconnected door lock button and something misaligned in the driver's side window.

Dan

Did you buy the car from the Hamptons? That is the exact car I was about to strike a deal on before I bought my Laser Blue. I simply decided that LB was the color I wanted and it had the sport pack. It didn't hurt that I got to buy from my local dealer. Jeff Ilions, a great sales rep at MM Hamptons, was very upset with me for "wasting his time". I still feel bad about it, but I made the right decision for me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my '06 Elise off the lot in April 2007. I had been there for close to a year. She had 250 miles on her. I now have 10,000 miles on her with no issues.....sure enjoyed the 8k discount I got off the car for being an '06 though. :D
Man if I could get 8K off an 07 CO Elise now I would be all over that!! :nanner:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I vote for the autumn gold one.

Ron

PS sell me the hardtop off it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 48K for the autumn gold -poke- I think I would have to sell you the hardtop for 12k rotfl

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I know if you buy a used car that has been sitting for a period of time, the thing will nickle and dime you to death. I bought a Corrado one time that had been sitting about 4 years in a parking lot of a shop. It was in good shape but something was always going out on it. I think sitting is harder on a car than just driving them. It is common for cars that sit long periods of time to develop oil leaks, etc from the seals drying out. I wouldn't think it would be as much a problem with a brand new car, and at least you still have a warranty to cover anything so it shouldn't be a big deal if the dealer if reputable. (and if they are, why do they have 3 year old unsold cars on their lot?)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... at least you still have a warranty to cover anything so it shouldn't be a big deal if the dealer if reputable. (and if they are, why do they have 3 year old unsold cars on their lot?)

I think if you see the dealers that have the 05/06 on the lots they don't have the best reputations here. :eek:

I don't see Robert at HRM have even any 07's - great guy and good dealer! :bow::bow:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The Lotus owners manuals even states ...Page 152 bottom

"In general, the Elise will be kept in best operating condition with regular use"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine was made in March of 06 and I purchased in Oct. of 07. I have not had any problems yet and do not expect any. Have not had any problems with the A048s either.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
mine was built in october of 05 and i bought in July of 06. no problems to speak of (knock on wood), but at MMC all the cars are kept indoors

·
Registered
443 Posts
Did you buy the car from the Hamptons? That is the exact car I was about to strike a deal on before I bought my Laser Blue. I simply decided that LB was the color I wanted and it had the sport pack. It didn't hurt that I got to buy from my local dealer. Jeff Ilions, a great sales rep at MM Hamptons, was very upset with me for "wasting his time". I still feel bad about it, but I made the right decision for me.
This is the one. :clap:

I dealt with the Manhattan showroom but they had the Hampton's showroom deliver the car.

Solar yellow isn't my favorite color but I've grown to like it, and the price was the clincher.

Time of year is important. Late fall, winter, early spring, the dealer wants to make room for the new models and so is willing to cut a good deal on an older model. Over the summer, as the stock dwindles from full, the dealer doesn't have as much incentive to cut a deal on these cars.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I bought an '06 (made in '05 if I remember correctly) in Sep '07. Car had 300 miles. Good deal, nice discount.
Never had problems with the car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts