The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a White 2006 Elise with 7k on it for $32k. Clean CarFax and it has 2 more years of warranty left. Downside: it spent 7k miles as a rental. Thoughts? Opinions? Obviously its past is the reason for the low price, but with so much warranty left is that party mitigated?
Thanks -
BillyD

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
:no:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I question whether or not its warranty is still intact after being used for commercial use like that...I recall seeing clauses like this, not sure if it was the Lotus warranty or another of my car's, stating that warranty is void in those cases (like if put into taxi service).

I'd be surprised if it made it 7k miles a rental without needing any body work...be sure to check for signs of clamshell repairs if you're serious. Key spots to check are under the front chin, and front and rear clamshells where cars would contact it if/when it's parallel parked.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I just checked my owners' manual, and it states that the warranty is void if the car is used for 'commercial service'. I imagine duty as a rental car would qualify as such. Might want to pass on this one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked my owners' manual, and it states that the warranty is void if the car is used for 'commercial service'. I imagine duty as a rental car would qualify as such. Might want to pass on this one.
Yeah it shows active on carfax, but that could easily be an error.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Carfax probably won't know the potential exclusions of each manufacturer's warranty, I bet they just look at the date it was sold, and look at the standard warranty period, to tell you that.

·
Registered
807 Posts
having actually rented one before i bought one, let me tell you that i did manuevers in the rental that i've never done with my own car.

and i recall the mortality rate of all those Elises in the Enterprise rental fleet were staggering.

unless they're giving it away, i'd find one from a private owner. 7K miles at $32K isn't exactly "giving it away".

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Buying a rental is like marrying the town whore - everyone has ridden it hard and done things with it that they'd never do with their own.

Your call.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Some of the owners here drive their cars harder and trash them and not take care of them, far worse than rentals.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would say keep shopping... as another poster mentoned, $32k is not really enough of a steal to warrant potential rental issues. You can get one-owner 06's for around that price if you just keep an eye on ebay and the used car sites (autotrader.com and cars.com). In fact, I recently got a '06 with 8400 miles for that very same price off ebay.

·
Registered
558 Posts
run the other way

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buy it now for the cheap price, sell it for dirt cheap later or nothing. The idea of buying rental is crazy. IFF they change EVERYTHING on the car, then I'll buy one.

no to rental.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts