The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted one since they came out. This one was a daily driver and it has wear and tear that you would expect on a car with 70k miles, but it's still an R8 and due to the miles it's well within my price range. It's a 2009 navy blue with beige interior. I think I might be able to get it a hair under $70K. Is that reasonable. Anyone have knowledge of that V8 engine. Is it a too much of a risk considering the high miles?

Thoughts:
Discuss:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Of course it depends on the condition, but I would do it. Keep in mind that depreciation will increase the more you drive it. A 70k R8 may be questionable to you now, but a 110k R8 in 3 years will be much harder to unload.
Maintenance? Audi's are usually expensive, but I don't think the R8 is loaded with a all the super gadgets 'n' stuff.

I like to say "It's better to regret the things you've done, than the things you haven't"

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Iwould pass based on high mileage. As stated above in three years it would be extremely difficult to sell. Too much anticipated loss of equity.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 2 cents. I don't buy anything that I cannot fix myself. :)

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Unless you put a ****load of miles on it, the car's not going to depreciate much. I'm not sure how much the engine's stressed on an R8, but if it's anything like an Elise it should be good for many more trouble-free miles.

Go for it man. I think that some of the other members are missing the fact that this is a car that you lust after and the high mileage is bringing it into a doable price point for you. Perhaps do as Ferarri owners do and set aside a little "maintenance fund" for any contingencies.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
$70k for a 70,000 miles R8 sounds crazy, you would think it should be priced around $50-60k with those kind of miles. Why not buy a new evora at that price point?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I would only suggest you price extended service warranty costs. My buddy got just such a contract for his BMW after he bought it used and it has saved him bucketloads of cash.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Mileage is high but I would think a lot of those miles must be highway miles. That averages out to be ~ 55 miles a day.

If you buy it, you can save a huge amount of weight with an aftermarket exhaust. I've seen and picked up the stock exhaust. It's rediculously heavy.

San

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
yea there is a lot of weight to be saved on the R8...san has a lot of tips look at his exige..weigh=performance

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
20,000 miles a year?!

Walk away.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
20,000 miles a year?!

Walk away.
Nonsense. Not everyone lives close to work. I have friends that commute 200+ miles (roundtrip) each day. They live where they like and work where the pay is good. I'd actually almost be more afraid of some of the garage queens where the car is 5 years old and has 1500 miles.

San

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have over 13k miles on my MY11 Evora in about 9~10 months of daily driving it. I am not putting 20k on it but I could easily see doing it. An R8 - easily done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought a new 09 r8 v8 back in 09. It is my daily driver. I currently have 42000kms on the clock. I bought a 2011 elise sc in 2011. I enjoy the Elise more but the R8 was loads of fun before the Elise. I still take it out but not as often.

Things to note:
1. When on full turn my gearbox made sounds. Full gearbox replaced under warranty (with an updated gearbox). Gear box $25000
2. Clutch slips. Will have this replaced under warranty soon. The clutch on the r tronic lasts around 40-50000 kms generally speaking. Get the dealer to give u a reading on the clutch wear index (3000-8000 , the higher the number the more worn the clutch is). ?$3000-5000

Other than those two big things I wouldn't worry one bit about reliability of the R8 they are truly solid cars. Parts are reasonably priced other than gearbox, clutch engine and carbon fiber parts. also service charges for me are lower than the lotus!. Service intervals are every 15000kms. If you are able to get the extended warranty do it (I just bought two extra years taking me up to 2014 covered)

Service charges go as follows minor major minor major etc every 15000kms prices minor $200 major $500
Extended warranty was $2500
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sounds like a great deal if you can get the extended warranty!! I may be biased because that will be my next car after the Elise, but still... I would if you can get the warranty.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Iwould pass based on high mileage. As stated above in three years it would be extremely difficult to sell. Too much anticipated loss of equity.
Why is buying a toy car always end up coming back to ultimate resale value? Miles on a car means it was being driven and enjoyed on a regular basis. The nerve! ;)

If the OP always wanted one and the price is right, buy it and drive the crap out of it. The car has taken a big hit anyways at this point. Whatever loss is incurred will be enjoyed in miles driven on the other end.

I always thought we bought these toys to enjoy them first and foremost? When did the resale price become such a priority???

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It's only worth considering the re-sale value of the car (and associated miles) if you can't afford the depreciation on it... which probably means you're going to be getting more stress than pleasure out of the purchase in the first place. OH MY GOD I FOUND A FINGER PRINT ON MY CAR!!! Yuck.

If you buy your cars planning to keep them for a good long while then you can just as well assume the care is worthless once you've bought it (which is how i look at it), then what you do with it afterward is a moot point... and the mileage is only an issue if it begs substantial un-anticipiated costs.

I've got 70k miles on my lotus and 170k on the G500... i want to take the g500 up to 300k miles... ask me if i care how much it's going to be worth with 300k miles on it? I don't want my money out of it, i want my usage and pleasure out of it so if it goes to the scrap yard afterward, that's fine. The lotus, i may keep until i'm nervous it's going to come unglued.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
What's the market price for a low mileage R8? It'd have to be a significant discount and I'd need proof the car was maintained meticulously. Just because it's 70K now doesn't mean it doesn't cost the same to repair as when it was a 120K car new. That's why I never bought a 355 despite the prices dropping into the 50's. I just can't afford the maintenance.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts