The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I think I am about a year and a half to 2 years away from being in the position to purchase a Lotus Exige. My question is, if you had to do it again, would you make the same decision to get one? -- Or would you go for something more "practical" like a M3 that you could drive more often?

My current car is a 2008 328xi that will be paid off 1 1/2 years so I will have a practical car but I'm worried the Exige will just sit for too much time out of the year.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, I would totally do it again. My Exige was/is the closest car in my collection to being the perfect car (for me) right out of the box. It's a "dead man's car" and I don't see myself ever selling it.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,587 Posts
I’ve had my Exige for just over one year. I would definitely buy it again, no regrets. I try to drive it at least once a week, would love to drive it more but work, kids, daycare, and an amazing wife need time too. I understand that some would prefer a fun car that the whole family can enjoy at the same time, but I still prefer the Exige (sometimes I need me time and this car makes sure I get that). My daily will need to be replaced in the near future and I’ll try to make that the family fun car.

It is hard to drive this car within the guidelines of public roads. I’d suggest planning for some track time too.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
My signature speaks for me on this topic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I can travel back in time, I'd travel further back in time and buy the car sooner than I did.

There's still a sense of occasion every time I get in the car, despite having owned it for the past 3+ years.
I guess your car set-up would be the most similar to mine so I really appreciate your reply :up:

·
Registered
386 Posts
This past weekend my father and I went by the Ferrari/Maserati/Aston Martin dealer on a Sunday just to look around for fun. There are no cars out there that provides both the thrill and involvement that the Elise does for less than $80-100k. They had a beautiful F430 for a reasonable price, but is be afraid to really drive and enjoy it. With the Lotus there really a isn't anything too cost prohibitive to break or wear down that would keep me from driving it as much as possible.

For me it's a 3rd car. I drive a normal SUV for work during the week and I wouldn't drive the Elise to work even if I could. Just send the wrong impression for me in my profession. So with that said it sits in the garage during the week on a battery tender and I drive it on nice evenings and the weekends whenever I get the chance. If you can afford to keep it as a 'fun car' then it becomes a special occasion each and every time I drive it.

I still look at cars and play the 'what if' game, but there's nothing out there that I can afford to enjoy that comes close. So yes I'd do it again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
945 Posts
I bought an Elise 10 months ago with the same trepidation as you - would I drive it enough? Would it turn out to be too impractical to deal with?

Well, so far I've put 3,000 miles on it in the 10 months I've had it, despite having 3 other vehicles and having a flood take out access to my garage for a bit.

It's completely exceeded my expectations. The car is more comfortable for long drives than I expected, it's a second-to-none driving experience, it's just as fun to play with on the track as everyone thinks it will be, and I look forward to driving it every weekend. The girlfriend and I will take it out to the mountains on weekend and decide at every turn back to just keep going.

I am in Colorado where our winters only take 2-3 months out of the driving season and the mountains are right outside my door, though - I don't know how long your "driving winters" are in NY but that could make a substantial difference.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I ordered an 07 Exige S220 and still get that stupid grin 7 years later. I'm ready if/when the V6 Exige is allowed in North America, can't match the fun/$ ratio. Toyota 4Runner for winter and daily use, Lotus is my stress relief.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

The car is a plain to get in and out of, especially with the top on. It's smaller and more fragile then most sensible cars. The AC is marginal. Ground clearance, nope. (You will scrape going in or out of some driveways, and I have scraped the center of the car on some of the SUV buster speed bumps we have in Colorado).

But it is hands down the car I have had the most fun with. It has introduced me to many amazing people, and I hope to never ask the question of "would I do it again." But instead hear the question "you still are driving that thing?"

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Definitely, I sold my M3 (e46) for my Elise, and when someone hit it, I bought an Exige. So yes, as much as I love the M3 I bought a 111 twice!

·
Registered
422 Posts
In A Heartbeat. I've had my ups and downs with my Elise in the nearly 7 years I've owned it. And there was a period of time I considered selling/trading. But I'm at the point now that I plan on keeping it for life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
just bought one

I just bought a 2006 Elise last month..... and I was getting buyer's remorse (better things to do with the $$$$, selfish buy, blah, blah, blah, BLAH) I immediately left for Europe for 3 Weeks, it was grungy, needs TLC, dead battery when I got back, needs $$$ put into it.... But here is the thing, every time I get in it and drive it I forget everything else.

I've coveted this car since they came to the US. I finally have one and I am keeping it until I can't get in and out of it. I have a smile that you can't wipe off my face not only when I'm driving it but when I'm working on it.

I can't wait to autoX it and get on the track. They aren't expensive, they aren't prohibitive to maintain, and they want to be driven. What more can you ask for...

I'm actually very lucky with this car. High mileage, decent shape, but needs TLC, but not a beauty Queen, so you don't feel guilty about a little abuse!

Sorry to ramble, but it is soooo much fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If I traded mine in it might be for something less practical and comfy.

Really the only thing that regularly tempts me is an older hotrodded 911.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a 1997 Ducati 748 that I don't ride that often anymore, and this car is not a daily driver. I can't see ever getting rid of either of them, because they're both very unique and beautiful vehicles. I love driving the Lotus, just not in rush hour traffic, can't imagine having it as an "only" car. I drive a truck most of the time.

But, if I had to do it over again, I'd get an Exige, I never take the roof off of my Elise anymore. It's not hard or time consuming, I just like it better that way.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts