The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering this new 07' Exige from a dealer. The car apparently was in a minor crash while on a test drive. The dealer is being upfront about the damage, his disclosure (also posted in the cars for sale section) is listed below. What do you think? Yea or nay?

"I have a brand new Exige S that was in a one car accident. I am trying to sell it ASAP. I have had several people interested in this car, but, I think are reluctant to buy because of the accident. The salesman scraped up against 2 curbs on a test drive.

We replaced all 4 tires and wheels. The left rear control arm and tie rod end were replaced also. The front splitter was scratched up and a little bit of the clam, therefore we touched up the paint and replaced the Star Shield also.

The car drives 100% and it has a clean Carfax."

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Unless it is deeply discounted and you can trust the dealer to make good on anything that would show up wrong down the road, I would walk. Scraping and bending wheels and having to replace suspension components is not just a small mishap accident with these cars. At least they are being honest about the accident.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If........

1. I felt that the $'s were right
2. No strings were attached to the factory warranty

......I personally would do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. The dealer is being very up front about it, I'm not too worried about that part. He is in a different state, which makes going back after the fact very difficult. He has said there is a full 3 year warranty, so that is not effected.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I would buy it if the discount is right AND I could get something from the dealer (or even better, LOTUS USA) in writing that says that they will stand behind the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i would never buy a car, especially a lotus, that has been in any sort of accident. too many structural things could go wrong after an accident and there are far too many cars for sale that haven't been in one. That dealer's sole job is to get that car off the lot... he is going to candy coat it the best way he knows how and since he legally is forced to tell you it has been in an accident he is just making it seem like no big deal in order to appeal to people like you that might actually think twice about getting it.

my advice? keep walking and find one that hasn't been in an accident.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
It's just a car; it can be repaired just fine. If the repair was done by a Lotus dealer, I wouldn't be averse to buying the car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was considering the same car, but when I was told it had been in an accident I decided to walk away. I personally wouldn't feel good buying a new car that had already been in an accident and could have some sort of issue from the get-go.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
i would never buy a car, especially a lotus, that has been in any sort of accident. too many structural things could go wrong after an accident and there are far too many cars for sale that haven't been in one. That dealer's sole job is to get that car off the lot... he is going to candy coat it the best way he knows how and since he legally is forced to tell you it has been in an accident he is just making it seem like no big deal in order to appeal to people like you that might actually think twice about getting it.

my advice? keep walking and find one that hasn't been in an accident.
Kind of making a lot of assumptions here, aren't you? Either the frame is bent or it isn't, either the dealer has integrity or he doesn't. Either the car is a fair deal, or it isn't.

I believe the dealer in question is a participant on this board and from what I can ascertain from his posts, is fair and honest. If the car is right, buy it. If not, don't. But let's not paint all dealers as deceptive - it's just not like that in this (very small) community.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I am selling the car. Thanks for your support. Nothing is wrong with the car. It drives 100% and is covered by the factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Kind of making a lot of assumptions here, aren't you? Either the frame is bent or it isn't, either the dealer has integrity or he doesn't. Either the car is a fair deal, or it isn't.

I believe the dealer in question is a participant on this board and from what I can ascertain from his posts, is fair and honest. If the car is right, buy it. If not, don't. But let's not paint all dealers as deceptive - it's just not like that in this (very small) community.
+1

Totally agree. Isn't that the whole purpose of a 3 year warranty - to shake out all the bad bits?

·
Registered
263 Posts
+1

Totally agree. Isn't that the whole purpose of a 3 year warranty - to shake out all the bad bits?
My bad, i actually didn't see the fact that it is still covered by the 3 year warranty. That would be a lot more comforting knowing that. However, I still stand by my opinion that I would never buy a vehicle that has been in an accident regardless of the warranty still being active.

A car that has been in an accident is like a broken bone in your body... it will never be the same regardless of how well it was put back together :)

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I would consider it since it is still under warranty...I've done some damage on my car (front clam replacements, crash structure...), and yet I know my car drives perfect.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I would buy it....mainly becuase IsellLotus (Dan) is selling the car and i trust him. Dan has a lot to lose than gain by selling you a bad car.....the lotus community is small so if Dan sells you a bad car then you would obviously tell us and that would be kinda bad for what he does. So i doubt he would jepordize his reputation as a good lotus dealer to sell 1 car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dan seems pretty trustworthy from my trolling this site for a few months. If I wasn't a tight butt I would probably buy it
I second that (the tight butt part applies to me too!). Dan was very upfront with me about the incident with the car when I was inquiring about it and I thanked him for his honesty. Maybe I'm crazy, but the fact that the car had sustained damage tainted it for me, but if it doesn't bother you then go for it! An Arctic Silver Exige S rocks!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
A car that has been in an accident is like a broken bone in your body... it will never be the same regardless of how well it was put back together :)
Maybe I see it differently coz I'm an Engineer and not a doctor, but I don't think it's at all similar to a broken bone. In this case the dealer is replacing all the "broken bones" (according to a different thread) and assuming he does the bolts up properly there would be no issue. My understanding is that a human body is different and bones can't be replaced.

I would reason that if after 3 years and several thousand miles of driving (warranty period) that if I didn't see a problem occuring, then I would consider the problem not there
.....if a tree falls in a forest and no-one is around, did it make a sound? :confused:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts