The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im doing some research and would like to know what my fellow amurricans think of aftermarket items.

Would you buy this hardtop if there were a USA distributor? The picture Im showing you is a union jack edition...but can be had in solids.

And gullwing, please click as its a large pic and I dont want to post it....

http://www.jamesduncan.org/lotus/frontopen.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Of course but wait...

My first impression is yes. The gullwing is a nice touch but the question: can you fold it up and put it in the boot. If you can, then bring it on over.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Mini Mojo

My only negative comment would be that it is a bit much like the Mini tops.

I love the Mini, but this feels like stealing a bit of the Mini-mojo.

Thomas

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im asking about hardtops in general, the jack is just a novelty top being ordered . As I said teh standards come in nude black and can be painted any color.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Tops

Sorry, missed that. Lack of caffeine is to blame (as always).

What is the price of the top?

Thomas

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Oh yeah. At 6'-2" 240lbs. It would be a huge improvement over the human origami required to get in and out of the car with the standard top on. Of course as Randy can attest to, I regularly fold myself in and out of the car I race...

Robert

Um, provided it doesn't leak :)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
Oh yeah. At 6'-2" 240lbs. It would be a huge improvement over the human origami required to get in and out of the car with the standard top on. Of course as Randy can attest to, I regularly fold myself in and out of the car I race...

Robert

Um, provided it doesn't leak :)
Robert is not a small guy like me. I saw him climbing in and out of a race car with a fixed door/rollcage this last weekend and though, "hey, that looks about the same as getting in and out of an Elise with the top on."

The gullwings would solve that problem. I like the other gullwings though from that other fabricator. They appeared more finished. I would also look into Tigga's offerings from Seloc (does he make S2 gullwings?).

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Price

Can you guys talk about price a little bit? How much for the gull-wing type tops? Can you store them in the car when they are removed?

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
It's quite a bit bigger & a little cleaner looking then the factory hardtop. On the gullwing tops they are very nice but at around $3k costly. Personally would go with the factory top or save the pennies for the gullwing. Glad to see we may have a few thing to choose from , even if has to be imported from the UK.

From what I've picked up the T-panels will fit in the trunk.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what its worth, the tops I posted are not tigga's/ Autostyle solutions and they're a fair bit less expensive than tigga's. I cant quote exact pricing at the moment though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd be interested if the price were comparable to or less than the factory hardtop. Black hardtops look good with any body color IMO - better than a matched hardtop. I don't suppose they would be unpainted carbon fiber a la the Mugen top for the S2000? I think those look rather nice.

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?detail=601&vehicle=S2000

It would be awesome to put whatever pattern you'd like on there. Probably I would want a flame pattern, something like this, except on top of a black car:

or maybe this:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If it were lighter and/or cheaper than the factory top, and fit as well, I'd consider it.

What I'd really love to have is a clear Lexan/polycarbonate roof, preferably with UV and IR reflective coatings. I'd pay quite a bit for that.

I'm not at all interested in the gullwing roof.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The gullwing top would be great, if available prepainted in factory colors for a price comparable to the factory hardtop.

I wonder what the chances are that Lotus themselves offer a gullwing top option? I believe they promised that to their customer a number of years ago, but appeared to cancel that development.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jenn,

In the pic of the Gullwing version, there are two white stripes across the centre piece. Any ideas what that is?? And yes! I would be highly interested in an aftermarket top... not sure if I want a gullwing or not, guess that would depend on how heavy it was compared to the stock top and if it can be stored in the car, either the trunk or behind the seats. Let us know more info when you are able to.

Thanks,
Jose Soriano

1 - 18 of 18 Posts