The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finalized the deal with a dealer in Utah (Harris Imports) and got the deal of the century. Phantom Black/Charcoal 2011 Lotus Evora S with less than 500 miles for 66k. Tech Pack, Premium Pack with heated seats, Backup Camera and the ugpraded forged diamond design wheels. I haven't had any luck in transport as the car needs to be transported to Miami, FL and I've waited close to a week now. I got an offer to pickup for enclosed transport on Wedesnday at $1400. I can get open for $850 for Monday. I've waited over a week now and need to get this thing going. I've heard if the car is at the top rack of an open transport then I am safe, what do you all think? Please don't blast me as I see rolls royce ghost and a crap load of Lambo Gallardo's on open transport in my area! Is it safe to do open or should I wait longer AND drop an extra $550 for enclosed?

·
Registered
944 Posts
PM Yoram as he transports open all the time.
I just transported my Evora from Park Place Lotus in Texas to NC via open for $550.
I was nervous as well but honestly quite happy that I did. It was on the top bunk. I have transported a few really low race cars and they had to go enclosed for clearance issues. But most enclosed trailers just have the cheesy soft sides wrapped around an open stacker. Unless of course you pay big money and go via single enclosed trailer.
Another person to ask is Hayes at WireWheel as he has good contacts in the business.
Long story short I think open is fine but most people on this forum will say we are crazy to even consider open transport.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
I would recommend closed, but if you do go open, I think it is very dependent on where the car will be traveling and the weather it may have to go through.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just have to say I've seen that car and it is beautiful...had I the means I would have picked it up in a heartbeat.

Edited to add: I'll drive it there for you :)

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I'd go closed but honestly there's others on this forum that have more experience with this topic than I do, so trust in their advice instead. Assuring that it will be on the top rack would be foremost in my mind if I decided to go with open transport. Weather is not so much of a concern because a little snow or rain is not going to hurt the vehicle. After all, it's not like it's being driven in snow where road salt would be an issue.

Another concern is how many times (if any) your Evora will be removed from the rack and put back between the time of pickup and delivery. Sometimes they have to shuffle cars in order to be able to take off cars at delivery stops. The more times offloaded and reloaded, the greater chance of damage.

Food for thought, but in the end I think it all comes down to personal preference and whatever it takes to put your mind at ease. For example, when my new Evora finally arrives next year, I'll be shipping via closed transport if I don't drive it back from the dealer (which I probably won't), but hey.....to each his own.

Btw, nice score on a good deal for that 2011 S! You should be pretty damned happy with that price!

Now if it was a GT-R, I'd say open transport would suffice.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Only because I know the good Doctor would be reading the thread :p

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I spent the extra $ to go enclosed from L.A. To Boston and had a less than terrific experience. When I arrived at the drop off site the car had just been unloaded off of a very nice looking fully enclosed hard sided trailer. The windows on the car were both all the way down. I was so excited about the arrival, I did a cursory check of the exterior to make sure there was no glaring damage.
After the driver left, my wife and I jumped in and took off for its maiden East Coast drive. As we both rolled up the windows I thought WTF is that? The car had hydraulic fluid all over both side windows and in an attempt to hide the mess instead of cleaning it off he rolled down the windows. What a PITA to get that off. It took over a month of raising/lowering the windows and cleaning off the fluid before it was "normal". The wheels were also marred where the straps went through them. This was easily fixed with bug and tar remover. I'm thinking I had an isolated experience when it comes to enclosed shipping. It's all a distant memory now and I couldn't be happier with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
498 Posts
Finalized the deal with a dealer in Utah (Harris Imports) and got the deal of the century. Phantom Black/Charcoal 2011 Lotus Evora S with less than 500 miles for 66k. Tech Pack, Premium Pack with heated seats, Backup Camera and the ugpraded forged diamond design wheels. I haven't had any luck in transport as the car needs to be transported to Miami, FL and I've waited close to a week now. I got an offer to pickup for enclosed transport on Wedesnday at $1400. I can get open for $850 for Monday. I've waited over a week now and need to get this thing going. I've heard if the car is at the top rack of an open transport then I am safe, what do you all think? Please don't blast me as I see rolls royce ghost and a crap load of Lambo Gallardo's on open transport in my area! Is it safe to do open or should I wait longer AND drop an extra $550 for enclosed?
First this is not a POS 25k car that is easy to fix if something happens. I always go with a closed transport. You want a smaller private company with direct service. The larger companies have satellite stops across the country. So your car could be sitting at a stop and pulled off the truck multiple times before it arrives at your location. Port Stops help transport companies lower cost so they can get more freight going to the same region. You need to make sure they don’t take your car to a stop (waiting port) until it gets picked up by another truck. You don’t want a broker you want a private service that is heavily insured that own their own trucks. I have purchased over 42 high-end cars in the last 10 years so trust me you want to play it safe. If something happens during transport it is a pain in the A to get a resolution.. In 2008 I purchased a Loaded Porsche 911 S. A transport company picked up my car and had to pick up a rare 250k+ muscle car on the route down to Dallas. After he dropped my car off his next stop was to drop off the Rare 250k+ muscle car. While sitting on the side of the road getting direction form his dispatch a semi-truck driver fell asleep and drove his truck through the trailer totaling the 250k muscle car and almost killing the transport driver. The owner of the muscle car had to fight in court for almost a year until he got a satisfactory resolution. -eek-

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I did open through a broker for my Esprit 4 months ago. It had to travel through the desert from LA to Houston 1500 miles. It was brokered to a husband and wife team with a 5 car trailer thingy.

Everything about that is how the horror stories start out.

But it arrived as good as it left, super quick, and they were awesome.

Had a brand new Jag shipped from Ohio to Houston in January in the height of winter. Broker. Picked up by a couple of true hillbillies with a rusted out duelie and a 3 car trailer. Car was perfect when it arrived ahead of schedule.

Did the same with a 911 from Florida in 2005. No issues.

Are there horror stories? Yes. Do they literally wreck every single car that goes by open trailer? No. Don't let the alarmists get you. Most cars go by open trailer...like 95%.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I did open through a broker for my Esprit 4 months ago. It had to travel through the desert from LA to Houston 1500 miles. It was brokered to a husband and wife team with a 5 car trailer thingy.

Everything about that is how the horror stories start out.

But it arrived as good as it left, super quick, and they were awesome.

Had a brand new Jag shipped from Ohio to Houston in January in the height of winter. Broker. Picked up by a couple of true hillbillies with a rusted out duelie and a 3 car trailer. Car was perfect when it arrived ahead of schedule.

Did the same with a 911 from Florida in 2005. No issues.

Are there horror stories? Yes. Do they literally wreck every single car that goes by open trailer? No. Don't let the alarmists get you. Most cars go by open trailer...like 95%.

I do agree 95% time you should be good it’s the other side of that equation that sucks. By having a closed cabin you are reducing some of that risk but at the end of the day anything can happen. My story was simple the 250k muscle car was transported in a CLOSED TRANSPORT in the end it did not make a difference. For me a $550 dollar difference for a closed transport verses an open one on a car with an original MSRP over 85k+ is not a lot of coin. ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
closed trailer transport.jpg

Just my 2 cents worth. Most open carriers will require that your car be driven up and down ramps while loading and unloading. As mentioned in another post, this may have to be done several times during the process of getting your car to its final destination. Also your car may not be shipped in a level position which causes additional stress to your chassis and wheels every time the truck hits a bump. How can you guarantee that your car will be shipped on the upper rack? On the other hand by using an appropriate closed carrier your car loaded and unloaded via a lift gate as pictured above. Think about your clutch. Maybe I am just overly paranoid though:shrug:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
They don't leave it in gear when they ship cars.

And when I said 95% of cars go open, I didn't say 5% of all open shipped cars are destroyed.

If you have a car that is a museum piece that you will almost never drive, go closed. If it's a car in the true sense of the word, it will be fine on an open trailer.

You only hear about the few horror stories on the web.

·
Registered
498 Posts
View attachment 194914

Just my 2 cents worth. Most open carriers will require that your car be driven up and down ramps while loading and unloading. As mentioned in another post, this may have to be done several times during the process of getting your car to its final destination. Also your car may not be shipped in a level position which causes additional stress to your chassis and wheels every time the truck hits a bump. How can you guarantee that your car will be shipped on the upper rack? On the other hand by using an appropriate closed carrier your car loaded and unloaded via a lift gate as pictured above. Think about your clutch. Maybe I am just overly paranoid though:shrug:
:up:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts