The Lotus Cars Community banner

Would you buy the carbon fiber trim option if offered?

• Yes I would, I really like the carbon fiber look.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • I'd pass on a carbon fiber option.

Votes: 44 62.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mark mentioned in another thread that he would like to see carbon fiber dash trim offered for the Elise. I think it would look pretty good on the Liz nd would likely purchase it for my car if offered. What do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i would definately like a carbon fiber dash although i don't believe it would go with the theme of the Elise, let alone the complications that would follow. It would slow down production because of the fit and finish would have to be spot on. Oh and there are probably other areas of the car that could be improved before a light weight dash is added.

Robert

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
too gaudy/boy racer/trendy for the likes of me, says I. ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm not against it being for sale - I just wouldn't buy it! :p Don't like the look of it at all.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Derek said:
Mark mentioned in another thread that he would like to see carbon fiber dash trim offered for the Elise. I think it would look pretty good on the Liz nd would likely purchase it for my car if offered. What do the rest of you think?
I am not sure if these will work with the Federal Lotus Elise ...

http://www.eliseparts.com/carbon.htm

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
TotallyGreen said:
not big on the CF look personally. I'd rather the elise didnt look like a civic.
Yeah your right... the carbon fiber seats in the Enzo have me confusing the car for a Civic too:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
just an opinion. it looks cheesy. on the other hand since i have seen no mention of it, the "dimpled" finish of portions of the elise dash look exactly like the finish on parts of the spyder dash- at least in pix. so by definition i guess it looks...cheap. given the choice i'll still take cheap looking over what i consider cheesy looking. and faddish, did i mention i think it looks faddish?

but it might be damn cool looking in a graphite gray car

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I think the main reason carbon fiber is equated with a civic rather than an enzo is because the enzo doesnt flaunt it. It just is.

On an enzo the carbon fiber is structural, a part of the seat bucket or something to save some weight. On a civic its an "add on" or replacement add on and put in very conspicous places so that everyone sees that its "carbon fiber". They even make sure it has a pretty weave.

Of note, Carbon fiber can be alot heavier than its aluminum or standard plastic counterpart but civic kids just want the look.

When I see a dash/door sills/ add ons/ decked out in carbon fiber I think cheap.

If I see a seat skeleton/integration made out of carbon fiber I think weight reduction.

·
Registered
604 Posts
No carbon fiber for me unless it's structural.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Doesn't the new (UK) Exige have options like sport seats and carbon trim? There's absolutely no reason why they wouldn't fit the Elise... Someone has to know someone in Hethel and say... "hey swap those seats out for the Exige's". I would LOVE those two options. Well those and a harness bar... ;)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OneFastMiata said:
I think the main reason carbon fiber is equated with a civic rather than an enzo is because the enzo doesnt flaunt it. It just is.

On an enzo the carbon fiber is structural, a part of the seat bucket or something to save some weight. On a civic its an "add on" or replacement add on and put in very conspicous places so that everyone sees that its "carbon fiber". They even make sure it has a pretty weave.

Of note, Carbon fiber can be alot heavier than its aluminum or standard plastic counterpart but civic kids just want the look.

When I see a dash/door sills/ add ons/ decked out in carbon fiber I think cheap.

If I see a seat skeleton/integration made out of carbon fiber I think weight reduction.
I know now that you've never actually seen the inside of an Enzo. I've been in the Enzo. The dash is covered in lots of carbon fiber. For some reason as I sat in the Enzo "cheap" or "Civic" just didn't pop into my head.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
The CF is in the Enzo because it makes it strong and light. The CF is in the Civic to increase the bling factor. I would put CF in the Elise if it meant getting better performance and less weight. I won't put it there because it looks fly. Some people understand the difference, others won't.

~Paul

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
BrianK said:
too gaudy/boy racer/trendy for the likes of me, says I. ;)
Yep... Just what Brian said...

Not for me...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Derek said:
I know now that you've never actually seen the inside of an Enzo. I've been in the Enzo. The dash is covered in lots of carbon fiber. For some reason as I sat in the Enzo "cheap" or "Civic" just didn't pop into my head.
Derek, the dash in the Enzo is not covered with CF. The whole dash and most of the car is made from CF. If you wanted to pull the original dash out of the Elise and make a new one from CF that may save weight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts