The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Would you recommend Lotus?

• Yes

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 69.4%
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Well, crap. here's my opinion to throw out there. I'm one of the guys who is having to wait longer for ordering LSS. So, rather than getting my car on time, I've waited. ok, no problem, except for the lack of communication...and then at the last minute, just before my car is 'supposed' to arrive, the manufacturer changes the price.

So...not only am I having to wait, I'm being charged for the experience. How lovely.

And if you really want to know why I think it is that they've been slow on delivering...I think they've been gauging the market to see what it would support. It's quite possible the 'gift cars' actually were gifts, to allow the executive side to see what kind of price they could demand. After taking a look at what happened with that, and careful thought, they figured they could get another 1000 dollars out of the majority of us without losing too many orders. They know the initial list is pretty well set on this car, and won't walk until its even more extreme. How do they know? They see what we've put up with so far to get the car.

This decision had to come from on high, and I'm quite sure that none other than Mr. Hole is behind it.

Anyone out there with any proof otherwise? I'm a huge fan of Lotus cars... but if the product was not so damn good, I would never put up with this $hit.

Cade

I'll recomend Lotus UK, not LCU.

LCU seems to be very disorganized at the moment.

I guess we will learn from each other as the time goes by, but I wouldn't recomend anyone to go through what we are going through at the moment.

I like my Lotus dealer (Dimmitt), I give them the thumbs up. Lotus on the other hand has made this whole thing a bad experience for me. I voted no, wouldn't recommend. This has truely been the worst buying experience of any kind for me. My order was placed back in March. I should have a locked in price at that point.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
72% won't recommend so far. Wow! From what I have been reading, more than likely Lotus can expect most of the listers won't drop but any repeat business seems highly unlikely and these listers won't recommend Lotus to their friends. Way to build brand loyalty. :clap: I for one would recommend Lotus........................................to my enemies!

During the past year, I've told co workers and friends about the Elise and didn't dwell on all the waiting, non communication, the first MSRP hike, and the charge for any color other then red or yellow. I didn't complain when MPG went from 40 down into the 20's.

But, now I'm just fed up and really have nothing good to say. Before when someone asked when I was getting my car, I just said later this year. Now, I've been giving all the details of my Lotus experience. They don't understand why I'm even still waiting on the car and said they would have moved on a long time ago. They all have agreed so far that it's shady business practice to raise the price after your build order and deposit have been locked in.

I've been waiting for this car for over a year now, and having invested all that time waiting for this stupid car, I just don't know what to do. I have such a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing.

What if there was no Internet? Do you all know how clueless we'd be about anything having to do with our cars?

Vangman said:
Gromit,

My point is not so much the money. It's the friggin communication. Talk to me. My dealer has only called me when he's wanted money from me. Never has he picked up the phone to give me the latest news. If Lotus needs an extra grand then they should have had all the dealers call all their customers and alert them. Is that too much to ask? Why is it I have to learn everything about my car thru this forum and not the dealership? Why? Stuff happens, economies change, this is life. But if you communicate this sh!t to your customers it allows them to make resonable decisions based on fact. So far, most information has started out as rumor first, negative confirmation second. That's why this increase has pissed me off.

Am I backasswards for still getting this car, maybe. But there is a limited number coming in and I want it. Does it still help Lotus? Yes. However, there are a number of countries and companies that I'm not crazy about but in this global community I would be reduced to buying NOTHING in order to ensure that I didn't send money to them. Right now I'm using a microsoft powered computer with Chinese part and Indian support. What can I do? All I can do is make myself happy and pick my fights where I can.

BUT I CAN AT LEAST COMMUNICATE. CAN LOTUS? Appearently not.
Thats a dealer issue, not Lotus. Galpin, the dealer who I'd expect to give the dodgy newbie level of communication, has called me on a few occations to give me updates on the Elise, and their standing with Lotus.

The communication from Lotus does need to improve from most peoples stand point. I don't mind either way because it hasn't effected me yet. But from what I've heard, Lotus is working to improve communication. They strike me as a company who's determined to succeed in America as it's their last chance. Communication is key to their success, and they know it.

huggy bear said:
72% won't recommend so far. Wow! From what I have been reading, more than likely Lotus can expect most of the listers won't drop but any repeat business seems highly unlikely and these listers won't recommend Lotus to their friends. Way to build brand loyalty. :clap: I for one would recommend Lotus........................................to my enemies!
If you drive the Elise, you recommend Lotus to any and all who see you. The Elise speaks very, very loudly.

BYSTANDER - "Wow ! Thats a nice car."

HB - "Don't buy it! It sucks!"

ELISE - "Look at me !!! I know you want me !!"

BYSTANDER - "That colour is gorgous ! Where do I get one ?"

HB - "You don .."

ELISE - "BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME !!! I'M A LOTUS !! BUY ME !!"

BYESTAND - "Sorry HB, you were saying something ?"

ELISE - ""BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME !!!"

HB's GRIN - "BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT !!!!"

Tidalwave and Huggy get it!

Gormit,

You dont work to improve communication. You improve comminucation. Have you read the press release on the price increase?

Here's an opportunity to improve and it was missed, again.

Unfortunately, in a world of lawyers, communication is something that has to be worked on, and not just done.

Take for example the dealer that came on here a few months back. He point, and information was great. But the way in which he delivered that information was offensive, and poorly planned. If he'd had an HR person look it over first, he would have been in far better standing.

Or take Chris (sorry Chris, you're just a good example :) ); he spoke about the loss of Arnie too soon, and without planning. His emotions took the better of him, and he said things that some would consider hypocritical considering the turn of events. If he'd waited, taken a breath, he could have voiced his disappointment, while maintaining a level of rationality. Though, he did come back and earn my respect after the event when he had time to think a little more.

Lotus needs to do the same as people will not be as forgiving to them as they have been to Chris.

Gormit,

You're absolutely right. But there is a difference between stepping back and ensuring what you say is legal/accurate and stepping back and not saying anything. And that's the issue here. They didn't just decide to increase the MSRP on 8/30. NO, they decided a few weeks ago, maybe a month or more. PLenty of time for HR, Legal, whoever to review and authorize a general communique to the public. Again, I'm resonable. Talk to me about this. BUT DON'T DO THIS BEHIND MY BACK. THAT'S WHAT'S P!SSING US OFF HERE!

Let me offer this point, not as an excuse... but just to try to show why it is the way it is...my speculation.

Lotus UK (Hethel) and Lotus Cars USA (LCU) are two different entities. But LCU has to do what Hetyhel says they are to do. Hethel does not communicate directly with the people in the US. That is the job of LCU (and in their mind... your dealers). But decisions are made by Hethel and have to be carried out by LCU.

So if a decision was debated at Hethel and decided on... and they notifed LCU about it. There would not have been a lot of time. And LCU may be reticent about what they say, other than doing what they were told.

I still personally think a letter to the list would have been a good idea.

P.S. Gormit. :)

Hmm .. I was under the impression that everyone expected a price increase. In fact, Nick at Symbolic told me to expect a price increase this year, and next. He told me this several months back.

To me it looks like those who are pissed are just being selfish. It sounds like you expected it, but think it should only apply to others, not you, because thats just unfair!

EDIT - Yeh :p Though I expect most want to call me far worse than 'Gormit' :)

I think everyone knew there would be an eventual increase.

And I was always sure that when it hit, it would cause this reaction. If it was as of 1-1-2005...how would you feel if your car was delivered on 1-5-2005? If it was the 2006 model year, the same thing... you could have been waiting for 12 months or more... and your car happens to fall in the build of the 2006 cars. There was always an element of this being unfair no matter what.

However.. IMO... the thing that makes this timing worse, is that orders were specified and it would be a good thing if those that specified cars could make changes to match the change in MSRP.

Yeah, I knew a price increase was coming, but not after I actually placed my order and was unable to modify that order.

That's just bad business to take and order and a deposit and then jack up the price.

If I was not in the first round of cars and my order was not even placed yet, will, then that's fine. I know before my order is final what's going on and can either accept the increase or remove some options.

The bottom line is it's wrong to raise the price of the car for those of us that have had our specs in since March. At that point, it should be a done deal as far as pricing.

tidalwdave said:
Yeah, I knew a price increase was coming, but not after I actually placed my order and was unable to modify that order.

That's just bad business to take and order and a deposit and then jack up the price.

If I was not in the first round of cars and my order was not even placed yet, will, then that's fine. I know before my order is final what's going on and can either accept the increase or remove some options.

The bottom line is it's wrong to raise the price of the car for those of us that have had our specs in since March. At that point, it should be a done deal as far as pricing.
Exactly.

It just seems so obvious that if I can't change my order, Lotus shouldn't be able to change the price. It's not a matter of being unfair to others lower on the list or being selfish, it's just common sense.

Strange Poll... Everyone seems VERY happy with thier cars.Very few complaints yet the poll says otherwise ???????

and there are the people that say what value it is $ for bhp compared to other cars. This must be the 1st thread to confuse the hell outa me :confused:

I don't understand the timing of the poll. You are asking people who have nothing to show for the deposit money they invested if they would recommend that someone buy a Lotus. I think the results would be much more telling if you would poll owners/drivers of the Elise.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.