The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the 2015 lotus elise today. I saw the price was at 35000 british pounds or about 55000 US dollars and the question i thought was "if my lotus was worth that would I sell it and buy the 2015 elise". Just curious what you guys think.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Absolutely not! I am all for new and improved but the new look just is not as appealing in my eyes. I'm keeping my 2008 and not even thinking about buying the 2015.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yes I would.

Here's why. My '05 is probably worth $28K today. At my rate of 10K miles per year, it will have 70K miles by 2015 which means it would be worth $18K.

So if the new one is $55K, then I trade my '05 for it using your hypothetical. I sell the 2015. I buy another '05 for $20K. I pocket $35K.

All good!

:)

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
It looks cool but to me it just looks bland and not lotus.
What is a Lotus suppose to look like, a Lotus 7? if you look back before 1994 or specially the 2005 Elise looks nothing like a Lotus... If the 2015 costs $55K I'll buy one!!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
personally, i think it looks more like the espirit/lambo with some of the styling quese the elise uses

·
give me my second cam!
449 Posts
Not to mention if and when it does come out its going to be a boat anchor. The Elise of today simply can not be matched in terms of modern purity. In other words there probably will never be another lotus or any other car for that matter as pure and unique as the s1 and s2 Elise and Exige. Not sure if the 2011 or 2012 elise is considered the s3 or not but they fall in the same line as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I will not trade my existing elise, but sell the s2000 ap2 and get the 2015 elise.. :)

I think the new lotus will cost higher than $55k comparing to our existing near spartan car options.. This one will has bigger engine, bigger brakes, leather interior, etc..

·
Back to the Future, again
6,175 Posts
Maybe they meant $55k in today's dollars... with what they project as options for today... and so with the new regulations in 2015 and other mandates plus new things they want to throw on the car to remain competitive in 2015's market which could mean bigger engine, more electronics, etc., and you can see the car costing over $80k easily in today's dollars, like the Exige 240/260. Like really... what in the Exige 260 justifies the more than doubling of costs over the 2005 bare bones Elise which was $40k?

The engine is not worth $46k, sorry.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I personally think the Lotus 7 was a great design for the 1950's, the Elan for the 60's, the Esprit for the 80's the Elise for the 90's and parts of the new century but the 2015 model is pretty much the future, if there's any, that still in question...

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I am sentimentality attached to my current car. But if she were lost I would not hesitate to take on a brand new one. So much negativity here about everything Lotus does anymore. I'd sure drive a new one and give her a chance to impress me.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
By 2015 my Elise will have 100+ track days on it and will be getting tired. Sadly, machines don't last forever, and the car will be hitting a window where it will cost much more to rebuild motor, suspension, etc than it is worth. Financial logic dictates it will be time for a replacement. Doesn't mean it won't be kept as an old toy though. Hopefully, Evora will be the track car by then and a new DD replacement will be in order.
Time marches on and I suspect technology does also. Very few cars remain competitive forever.

BTW all the bad mouthing about the bigger Evora has proven fruitless. It, even in stock NA trim, can stick with most any variant of Elige in stock trim, and kill them on tracks with long straights. They didn't release the V6 Exige for haHa's and yes- its heavier as necessitated by the bigger powerplant. Time will tell, and I, for one, will be in line to try the new models

·
Registered
981 Posts
The 2015 looks nothing like the Elise. I dont think it should be drastically changed in style like that. This is sort of like GNR( guns and roses), one of the members are left and the music is nothing like it was, why keep the name... Because of its legacy. That is so stupid.

I'm sure the 2015 is going to be another fine lotus car, but its no Elise IMO.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,175 Posts
Aside from certain designs which are evolutionary versus revolutionary, new car designs are supposed to deviate in big ways or else why bother with a redesign? The differentiation is a big reason that drives new car sales instead of just holding onto your older generation car.

Everybody does it. Ferrari, Toyota, Rolls Royce, Kia, etc.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts