The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, got the car back from the repairs and CUSTOM front end protection. ALl I cna say is WOW!! I am very impressed. Although I do not have my digital cameral with me right now, I will post pictures tomorrow for all of you to see.

The fiberglass was repaired, and primed/painted. Then the "starshield" was cut to make room for the rubberized protection. Let me say, when I heard that Rhino liner would be applied, I thought it was going to be textured. He did not use the exact Rhino liner compound. Instead, it is a very very durable feeling rubberized application that feels very thick and durable. In addition, it looks completely stock, and flows with the lines of the car perfectly. Another plus is that if scratches to materialize, all I have to do is have him re spray it, easy and cheap.

I am sorry to post without pics right now, but I am so excited I had to tell everyone. I can't believe that the car didn't come like this! Like I said before it looks like it came from the factory, and is closely related to the rhino-lining that we all know is extremely durable.

For a few hundred dollars this has to be the best mod out there. It protects the car and looks plain MEAN. He curved it up on the sides in what I would call a "Swoosh". I have the advantage (because of previous damage) of having the front end beefed up to better withstand any impacts, but even if you don't have any scratches on the clam yet, you want and need this product. I chose to leave this application plain black which matches the trip pieces perfectly. He also offers to paint this application to match your car, although I think that this would defeat the point of this sort of thing.

Lotus has reccommended to all dealers that if there is a crack 2 inches long, a new clam should be ordered, primed painted clearcoated and installed. He told me that this procedure would cost a customer around $7,000 dollars after all the installation was competed.

I will post pics tomorrow, but I am very excited with this, and if anyone is in the Texas area and interested, call the number above. It makes the car look even more agressive, matches the trim pieces in color, is protective and extremely durable, and most importantly can be easily resprayed if it does accumulate scratches and you want to freshen the look up.

Thanks to Mic, he was a stand-up guy and thanks to Autostrada for recommending an excellent craftsman to do this kind of work, even though they could have easily recommended 7000 dollars in repairs just to have the same sort of thing happen again.

Simply Amazing.:clap: :clap:

Pics tomorrow.:D

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Im lost.

What does it look like? A rubber bra? From what you describe its the same color as the trim pieces? What Im imagining doesnt sound like something I'd go for...but Im also tired so maybe Im not reading right.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is like a rhino liner, which is what is used to spray into pickup beds. It raises maybe 1 inch at the front, but "swoops" up to maybe 2 inches at the front wheel well. It is shaped something like a smile, but trust me, it looks mean.

By the feel of it, it is thick and durable. It covers all of the lowest points of the clam, as it covers all of the exposed painted parts that would/could ever come in contact with the ground, and maybe even a curb? It feels like it is a little thicker than the application of the starshield, as the starshield was cut to allow this application to be attached to clam directly. There is maybe 1/16 clearance between where the starshield was cut and the lining was applied. It is thick.

I can't wait for everyone to see it. I will post pics tomorrow if I can find my digital camera. Sorry Ican't be more help. suffice it to say that it covers all of the parts of the parts of teh clam that could ever come into contact with the ground. IT looks very nice. :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts