1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
389 Posts
Cool, I have never even heard of one of those, let alone seen one.

Great condition? Yes! Hard to get parts for? Probably! Fun and different, especially if you like the 308? Yes.

Good investment? I doubt it. At best, it may hold its value, whatever that is.

IMO.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it has pontiac 2.8l and 5 speed ... I can not imagine it would be difficult to maintain or find parts for.

The fact that Ferrari sued GM to make them stop production ... that only limited were made ... would seem to me that this car will be rising in value.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would disagree ... the bradley is a ugly car ... the Mera look just like a ferrari 308 ... good looking car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldn't trust someone who says its a great investment if they can't spell check their own ad... "hear is some history"

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes i can see why as well ... that car look spot on. Change out the emblems and .... ferarri. However, I would not do that ... that car is way to clean in its original form and probably worth more as a MERA

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Pontiac and Fiero

Fiero had a Chevy Citation front wheel drive-train installed in the back with Chevette front end. It had an advanced frame and a composite body. In fact you can say it foreshadowed the Elise. As usual GM f***d it up by using a very bad drivetrain and automatic... there are plenty of V8 and Buick V6 conversions. The car was very light.

All Fiero parts are easy to find and cheap as dirt.

The body parts are probably non-existant unless someone kept the original molds...

I would question anything associated with Pontiac Fiero as an 'investment'. I would suggest it is highly speculative and will take another 20 years to develop.

Anton

Yes i can see why as well ... that car look spot on. Change out the emblems and .... ferarri. However, I would not do that ... that car is way to clean in its original form and probably worth more as a MERA

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Why would a replica be any better if the dealers had the body installed before the owner purchased it versus the owner had it installed after purchasing it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
But guys... I can buy a real Ferarri 308 for 25,000-30,000 with low miles on Ebay.. I think I would rather have that then basically a Fiero.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Fiero had a Chevy Citation front wheel drive-train installed in the back with Chevette front end. It had an advanced frame and a composite body. In fact you can say it foreshadowed the Elise. As usual GM f***d it up by using a very bad drivetrain and automatic... there are plenty of V8 and Buick V6 conversions. The car was very light.

All Fiero parts are easy to find and cheap as dirt.

The body parts are probably non-existant unless someone kept the original molds...

Anton
Well, since the fiero was a front drive platform turned around and stuck in the back of the car, I'd say it was more of a throwback to the Europa (Chapman took a front drive Renault drivetrain, turned it around, and stuck it in the back) than it was a foreshadow for the Elise. Depending on 4 or 6 cylinder, they were reasonably light at 2600 to 2800, but not very light.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Statistics:

1988 Pontiac Mera

Weight: 2750lbs
2.8 MPFI V6
140 @ 5200
170 @ 3600
0-60 7.5 s.
1/4 mile 15.7 @ 87.84

308 GTSi
weight 3350lbs
2.9L EFI V-8
205 @ 6600
181 @ 5000
0-60 7.9 sec.
1/4 mile 16.1 @ 83.80

So you can see ... not only is the Mera cheaper to keep, more reliable, but faster as well.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,154 Posts
Are you trying to convince us or yourself? If numbers are what you're after, those are very pathetic numbers by today's standards. I think most Civics and Corollas can best those numbers nowadays.

Seriously, get what makes you happy. If you like it, get it. You only live once.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bradley GT's are rare. Not investment cars. This is more akin to a Bradley GT than some type of Pontiac one-off.
INTERESTING the Bradley GT came up... I was thinking of posting this under the "comments thread" but fits better here: Stopped at local walgreens last weekend (claritin emergency!) and came out to find a guy sort of squatted down and looking at the rear of my elise...about where the exhaust comes out. I was friendly, and he jumped up and was super polite....bit older... blue collar, not great teeth, beard, but very polite.

He made many compliments, and then went on to tell me he was building a Bradley GT; and had been working on it on and off for about 10 years. I couild not remember the car and looked it up later (not my thing, but what the heck) I didnt ask, but suspect the fellow was checking out the elise-posterior so intently because he had an appreciation for building cars.:shrug:

AS for the MERA: Interesting story in car history... I have sent a copy of this thread to my brother, who has had a number of infamous fieros (not a Mera) and now owns a ferrari, to get his opinion..... BUT...as far as looks.... body, yes, specs, ok....... but interior???

VS

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is something about a Fiero Gt thou that still catches my eye when they pass... ;-)
Must have been a previous love affair from then 80's

·
Back to the Future, again
6,154 Posts
Now that I've had time to jog my memory, I recall the MERA in an article... I think C&D or something from that era. My buddy had a 88 Fiero GT. Good looking car. Terrible interior and drive feel.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts