The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw a elise in person for first time at PIR in Portland at the Rose Cup Races. The car was from Park Place in Seattle in Artic Silver/red.

While I knew going in this was essentially a racecar/kart posing as a passenger car, until you see, feel and sit in the car, there is no way you can fully appreciate this.

First of all, I was surprised how cheap the interior was. I know I didnt buy a luxury car but until you see it and touch it you cannot fully appreciate this. Im small so it wasnt too bad getting in car but I could see this being abit tough if top was on and a person was tall/big. The plastic interior was on the flimsy side but Im sure this was done to save weight. Even the metallic looking housing the shifter sits on was actually plastic and moved when you shifted gears(didnt make me happy). The leather seats were actually pretty nice but I laughed when I shifted to 5th and 6th(while not moving) and it kept hitting the passengers knees! The passenegers seat didnt seem smaller to me as some have described in past. There was no way to adjust pass's side and the cushin was riding on the floor!. The seats and steering wheel felt just like a go kart(I really liked this feeling). Kinda felt like a Rotax 125cc!. The money definitely went into the suspension and chassis.

I knew full well the car was very small but once again, I couldnt actually believe how small it was until I saw it today. The entire ext shell felt like fiberglass and felt light and plasticy. God forbid if you wreck in this thing. The trunk might carry 1 carry on bag. Surprisingly, the softtop could be placed in 1 minute flat and I know this cause I timed the guy. I looked at the headlights and was thinking it would be hard to swap over to xenon HID's cause the hood doesnt open. All there is is a radiator in there and there are bolts holding hood on. Despite my previous whining about diffuser and exhaust in rear, it didnt look too bad in person. I did laugh when I saw sign near trunk/engine bay saying "50lb limit".

The bottom line, this is a racecar/go kart posing as a passengers car whereas my current car(M3) is a passenger car posing as a racecar. I took pics with cell phone but cant download them to my computer...sorry. I wouldnt buy this car if luxury and solid interior look/feel was a priority and I personally wouldnt use this as daily driver. As a no frills pure sports car for weekend/trackuse, this car is perfect!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, it didnt have touring or sports package but it did have leather seats and sidepanels....Park Place rep said this was a hybrid and no cars would come like this to US.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
mact3333 said:
btw, it didnt have touring or sports package but it did have leather seats and sidepanels....Park Place rep said this was a hybrid and no cars would come like this to US.
same car as was at the LA Auto Show

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Now you are starting to get it. Some people still haven't seen one. :eek:

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by mact3333
Even the metallic looking housing the shifter sits on was actually plastic and moved when you shifted gears(didnt make me happy).
me too, this is the only part of the car I don't like, except for the raised radiator vents to make room for the ABS. I thought that piece was aluminum until I shifted several times and noticed it moving. I don't like the shifter leather boot either. I'd rather have the bare stick look. In fact, I'd like to install a gate as in Ferraris and Lambos. That would look way better.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I will agree with you for the most part. I thought the external shell of the car felt rock solid though. Much more stout than I had expected. The touring package does add a lot to the car. The difference between the cars that I have seen (the magnetic blue and the racing green) was pretty large. The RG interior was about 40% nicer. peace

-whit

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
zcar222 said:
I will agree with you for the most part. I thought the external shell of the car felt rock solid though.
-whit
Agreed. I was impressed with the stiffness/feel of the clams.

Hmm... wording seems a bit odd in that sentence.

I like the interior of the car for the most part. It's minimalist. The shifter housing is indeed cheesy when you see it wiggle, but it does not bother me when I am driving. It would be easy as Chris says, for some aftermarket companies to make a replacement for it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Huh, I was impressed by the interior, I like the look of the aluminium. I expect to use it without carpet most of the time.

I'm optimistic that more and more people will back out of line once they see the cars and decide they don't like them for one reason or another. ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I saw a leather cover that fits in place of the plastic shifter housing on a visit to LCU
CHris
My dealer told me that this was going to be an option. Is this true?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Leather covered stick console will be an option.

I'm with Randy, I really don't mind that it wiggles. I'm not looking down there when I'm driving. In fact I'm kinda curious about what it looks like without the cover. I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing the linkage and all.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
this ain't intended to be your dad's bimmer replacement! i read that post up top and thought....YESSSSSSSSSSS

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey Mact3333:
Loved your post! I've seen the cars, been to the factory, driven the Rover engined cars, I agree with your comments 100%. The aluminum is this stamped thin cheap looking stuff, the plastic looks cheap, I didn't even realise the shifter housing was plastic- why then do I love this car and want to pay nearly $50K for it?

I think we all know the answer or we wouldn't be on this forum!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
mact3333 said:
Even the metallic looking housing the shifter sits on was actually plastic and moved when you shifted gears(didnt make me happy).
Most cars have plastic shifter housings... So what!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Snowphun said:

I'm optimistic that more and more people will back out of line once they see the cars and decide they don't like them for one reason or another. ;)
Keep dreaming. :) That might work, but they will also take a test drive. That will hook them.

P.S. The reason there are separate electric window switches for each door, is that they use the same door panels. The switch also acts as a cover for the crank hole. That is why I think there is not two switches on the drivers side. Plus it is very easy to lean over.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I think that some of the comments on this thread are a bit harsh. The interior on the car you saw IS NOT the one that is on the cars that are almost at the port. A recent trip to LCU confirmed that even since LA, the interionr finishes have changed and been upgraded. I have owned a couple of Lotuses and even my "plush" elite has a transmission cover which shifts. These are hand built, low volume cars, there is no way to compare them to a BMW 3 series when it comes to finish. I'm sure if Lotus spent the money and time to upgrade to BMW's interior finish (although I much perfer Audi/VW) the car would be an extra 5-10K and about 100-150lbs heavier. We need to remember, as has been stated on this thread, we are buying a racecar for the street, not some GT.

The storage capacity is about 3 times what you think. This is a bad misconception that even I held until my visit to LCU a couple of weeks ago. What you see in the pictures and at first glance when you open the rear is a small carpeted area, about 18"x36"x18" until you take a closer look. Place your hand in the storage area and move it over the rear wheels and toward the rear of the car. Empty. the access to this area isn't great but the overall capacity is much greater than first impressions. Certainly enough for 2 people fr a weekend.

Interior finish packages, offered as dealer accesories, have been talked about by Lotus for about the past 18 months or so. I would bet money on not just one, but several options come years end.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Every car has it's purpose :D

This one is for me ...

This one is for the family ...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Keep dreaming. :) That might work, but they will also take a test drive. That will hook them.
For some people the test drive will seal the deal of not buying the car. Older or bigger folk may not like clambering in and out of the car. Until people sit in and drive the car, they simply can't relate it to their Boxster or whatever they're used to.

I don't need that many people to drop off, just a few. :p

1 - 20 of 62 Posts