The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so as stupid as this sounds, I never knew the Lotus Elise was available in the states. I've never seen one on the road and no one ever talks about them. The only ones I've seen were in video games.

Lately I've been saving up for an EVO X GSR with the upgraded package, so it'd be around $36,000. Now I've come across this beast and on autotrader there are some 2006 models with around 30,000 miles going for $35,000. Well even if it's a few tenths slower than the EVO X, it looks fricken amazing.

I'm just wondering what are the pros and cons from your guys experience with them?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Elise sucks. Get the Evo

:panic: How else can we drive these people away?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I saw that ad, too. It's a Canadian model and not available in the states. Keep looking at Evo's. I hear Subaru makes a really nice car, too.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Ok, so as stupid as this sounds, I never knew the Lotus Elise was available in the states. I've never seen one on the road and no one ever talks about them. The only ones I've seen were in video games.

Lately I've been saving up for an EVO X GSR with the upgraded package, so it'd be around $36,000. Now I've come across this beast and on autotrader there are some 2006 models with around 30,000 miles going for $35,000. Well even if it's a few tenths slower than the EVO X, it looks fricken amazing.

I'm just wondering what are the pros and cons from your guys experience with them?
I bought one of the first into the country back in 2004 and loved it, and the community, so much that I actually left a job as an architect to sell them.

They are not 0-60 cars even though they are quick. If you are looking for straight line performance, this may not be the car for you. Lotus are all about handling. They will out handle the EVO and Sti and give you more grins per mile than any car on the planet at ANY price. There are plenty of cars for sale here and at Lotus dealers that are better values than the one you mentioned.

PM me if you want to talk further.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought one of the first into the country back in 2004 and loved it, and the community, so much that I actually left a job as an architect to sell them.

They are not 0-60 cars even though they are quick. If you are looking for straight line performance, this may not be the car for you. Lotus are all about handling. They will out handle the EVO and Sti and give you more grins per mile than any car on the planet at ANY price. There are plenty of cars for sale here and at Lotus dealers that are better values than the one you mentioned.

PM me if you want to talk further.
Robert I agree with you. But to be honest the EVO also has very good handling. The EVO VI I've owned in stock form came very close to my tuned mazda MX-5 (sways, springs, braces, shocks). Handling wise the Lotus is far superior. And now with the 240 S the stock EVO has serious competition in the straight line too!

Now why did I sell my EVO (and STI for that matter)... I found out that HP alone doesn't do it. It's handling, hugging curves that put smiles on my face.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
My neighbor let his son drive his EVO.

The EVO was way too powerful and unpredictable for a new driver.

The kid crashed it and was almost killed.

Get the Lotus.

It's a better driver.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My neighbor let his son drive his EVO.

The EVO was way too powerful and unpredictable for a new driver.

The kid crashed it and was almost killed.

Get the Lotus.

It's a better driver.
:panic:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Well.. actually Elise is not available here in the US.. Only the EVO is going to be available

·
Registered
780 Posts
Elise not available here in U S anymore. too many seat fires caused from the power seat motor and the heated seat wiring. Power steering failure too. Also the Spare tire doesn't meet d.o.t. standards .

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
And the car doesnt have bumpers..

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Elise in the US ??? WHEN ???????? :eek::shrug::eek::shrug: ( I'll have to get my 1000.00 refundable deposit in ! )
Deja Vu .

·
Registered
712 Posts
Elise PROS & CONS:

Ok, the Lotus Elise it looks fricken amazing.

Make sure you test drive with Lotus first. You might not like to buy one at all.

CONS:
-Cramped interior, so if you are big person that's an issue.
-Hard to get in and out.
-Very small boot.
-No power steering,
-No good AC.
-No good stereo system.
-Very expensive to repair if involve in an accident.
-Insurance can be expensive too, sometime difficult to get.
-Not recommended in winter driving.
-Inpredictable handling for unexperience drivers (Oversteer if you panic in midcorner :panic:)

PROS:
-Fun to drive.
-Fast in corners.
-Amazing look [..You already knew that]
-Chicks magnet.

Good Luck, and be safe!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Especially if those "chicks" are 13 year old boys...
Or bald, 56 year old fat guys who knew somebody that had a [insert name of now-defunct British car maker from the 60's] when he was in college.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts