The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrapped my Arctic Silver access panels with some matte black vinyl I bought to play with. Pics provided for anyone considering the same.

I like it and think I'll keep it.

The first panel I did has a couple wrinkles on the edges. The second one I totally nailed.

This was my very first wrap job. The trick for me was to use moderate heat (heatgun on low held about 9" away) over a wide area and to simply set the warm vinyl on and use the felt-edged vinyl applicator / squeegee to do the work, always working towards edges for air to escape and gently lifting and re-heating if wrinkles appeared. This approach went really smoothly and was pretty darn easy.

I did the work with the panels off the car, and just tucked a bit around the edges to finish.

illustrates the application approach that worked for me.

For the first panel I was heating up small areas and trying to stretch out the wrinkles and pull them around the edge - it worked eventually, but the second one done the "right" way went a lot better.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, match with the roof :up::up::up:
Thanks! I've got some of your side mirror covers and side scoops in matte on order from the RLS group buy, so once those hit I'll have some more black accents as well!

I'm trying to do a simple gray/black theme with the car. That's the softtop, but I'm going to buy some more vinyl and wrap the hard top in black as well.

I'll wrap the rollbar cover black too and see if I like it. I'm sure it will look great with the roof on but I think it might draw too much attention to a somewhat random area with the roof off, and I do quite a bit of no-roof driving in the summer.

I did the gas door today as well (and forgot to take pictures). I'm not quite sold on it yet. I did the whole thing, but I might try peeling off the outside part and leaving just the actual flip-up cover area in black.

I've already got a set of black Rotas that are quite heavy but decent for the street.

After all that I just need a black Difflow diffuser, and I'm set.

I'll make more posts as the cosmetics project moves along.

·
Registered
505 Posts
looks good,now you will need to get rid of that yellow badge and get a black one ;)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Try not to wrap the major big parts, as the coating (paint) is not that nice from factory.

Some ppl has their paint come off when they take off the wrapper or star shield..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts