The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a curb and messed up the front clam.. well, i saw a small amount of oil on the garage floor and when i took off the clam i saw that the oil cooler was leaking from the bottom. not at the hose or fitting but where the edge of the oil cooler is. (the picture shows a blade up to the area where it is leaking.. my question is could it be fixed without buying a new oil cooler. maybe welding the area with a small bead? it is probably just a hairline crack.. Also, when i put a new oil cooler on how do I get the air out of the lines? I looked at many posts but nothing really stated what people did to address the problem of bubbles in the lines.

also on a side note what is the elastic band under the clam on the 2nd picture? does anyone know?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
just let it idle for a couple of minutes after start and it'll purge itself.
if you're feeling real guilty, fill it with oil however you can and don't sweat the small stuff.
the old cooler is probably repairable, too.

good luck, sam

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The "rubber band" is probably the factory "fix" for the parking lights popping out - I've heard that they added that hold down.

As for the oil cooler crack, you could probably remove the cooler and take it to a good (old fashioned) radiator shop. They would know how to braze that joint back together as it's essentially what they do when they repair/rod-out radiators. A good welder could do it too.

As for purging the oil cooler system, the Factory Service Manual (you did down load it from LCU for $25 didn't you) has the steps involved. Steps like removing one of the connections on one of the cooler, filling the lines with oil, and using the air bleed nipple on the oil cooler sandwich block on the engine.

It's not particularly difficult, just tedious - something you don't want to do as a routine oil change process, but for repairs like yours, no big deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts