The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
The tanks are brass and the core is copper. Aluminum is lighter and has slightly worse heat transfer rating (not that you can notice). Aluminum can't be repaired and recored, the brass and copper one can. Brass and copper can take vibration better than aluminum. On most new cars the tanks are plastic on an aluminum core. The 2 row rad is adequate, a 3 row is better.
David Teitelbaum

·
Car Adicted
188 Posts
David, That is basically what he said also. I would assume he will stick with a copper core. I should have asked, but didn't. Hopefully he calls me today, so I can pick it up........although then I have to start re-installing!!!!! Joyous times!!!! Please remember to tighten all hose clamps!!!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Make sure to use the rubber strips so the steel frame doesn't rub against the soft copper. I painted my frame before reassembling. That way I didn't get paint on the core.
David Teitelbaum

·
My car sneezes
624 Posts
Small world turns out the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon......sure as **** I knew the Radiator guys Uncle who did a few Radiators for me. Radiator Bill was his name. Good guy, so they will look at it Monday pressure test etc. I did talk with him about making it a 3 row versus a 2 row. The only real issue I see is with the bracket that holds the AC condensers to the front of the radiators. A 3 row would be thicker and make it an issue with the bracket without modifications . Anyone go from a 2 core original to a 3 core original radiator? Thanks Mark Seifert
Looks good! That small bracket will need to be modified.

Gonzo, you helped me when it came to my coil pack replacement. ...............
I don't come around forums very often but you can always call or text if you have any questions

·
Car Adicted
188 Posts
So I learned the 4 small brackets that go top to bottom at the edge of the tanks need to be modified / ground down as they do not sit flush against the radiator. I might use spacers to have them sit out correctly . Gonzo I know you are too busy anymore. I appreciate the offer . I am piecing the radiator assembly back together finally and will have some pictures to show the progress.

·
Car Adicted
188 Posts
I have been trying to get this Radiator back in and really have no excuse time wise......but man is it tough. I tried at first with it bolted in to the Radiator assembly / brace and just didn't seem like there was enough room. I still had the triangular braces in as I got the assembly out in pieces but left the brackets in. Finally I gave way and removed the brackets. They aren't the easiest getting out but not crazy hard. So I have them out and the assembly bolted in tight. Still seems like I don't have enough room. I do have the front crossover oil hose on and half the oil cooler ducting on each side. Maybe taking the oil hose and ducting off would help make it easier? Maybe I should loosen the bolts that hold the assembly tight to the underside of the trunk and see if then I can get the Radiator in the assembly? Or am I wasting my time and do I just need to take down the assembly and bolt the radiator to it and then try again now that the braces are removed?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts