The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Christmas coming I was so excited to see a call come in from my Lotus dealer. Could my car be coming? When the dealer asked if I wanted the starshield I said hell no, but does this mean my car is here???? I felt like a kid waking up on Christmas morning. When can I pick it up?

Turns out that this was just a really cruel phone call. Lotus has decided to do the starshield at the factory instead of the port and they just needed to update my order. This is just soooo not fair. Yeah, just like Christmas morning...and finding all the presents filled will clothes instead of toys. I had finally gotten numb to the fact that other dealers have extra cars yet I'm waiting for a order that seems like it will never come. Oh and if you think this means that lotus has gotten their act together and knows their production schedule think again. The only date I've been given for my car is "spring".

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
What's to say ? sorry about the false alarm, hang in there, it's all been said before. Welcome to Hell is probably most fitting ;)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The thing I don't understand, and I'm not saying this fits your scenario just as a general question, is why aren't all of these people who are on lists just calling dealers and finding a car with their options and buying from them at MSRP? Obviously dealers ordered every other car for themselves and it's hurting the waiters, so tell your dealer, who most likely has sold a car identical to yours to a non wait list person at least once, to return your money and buy it elsewhere. I know some don't care becasue it's winter, but there are a lot of people out there on lists with cars selling at msrp right now.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It could be worse. It could have gone like this:

Ring. Hi Jeff. Just wanted to let you know you're car's at Port. It should be here in....oh, wait. I'm sorry. You're number 31 and I mis-read number 13. Sorry about that.
Hang in there. The weeks tend to speed up if you're not paying attention to them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, thats the worst part of this. I had finally gotten to the point where I wasn't wondering every day where my car was. Had finally put it in the back of my mind. Oh well maybe now some of you wont get your hopes too high if your dealer calls.

As for why I haven't gone anywhere else, its the fact that I've actually placed an order. I'm not just on a wait list. If I was I would have asked for my money back a long time ago. It's not like I'm that far down the list either...21 sounded like such a low number too....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The thing I don't understand, and I'm not saying this fits your scenario just as a general question, is why aren't all of these people who are on lists just calling dealers and finding a car with their options and buying from them at MSRP? Obviously dealers ordered every other car for themselves and it's hurting the waiters, so tell your dealer, who most likely has sold a car identical to yours to a non wait list person at least once, to return your money and buy it elsewhere. I know some don't care becasue it's winter, but there are a lot of people out there on lists with cars selling at msrp right now.
There are lot's of folks who are going to be receiving cars over the next four months - let's say 1,200 US cars (16 weeks at 75 cars per week). That means that there are 1,200 hundred of us who can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Those of us from colder regions, might as well wait for our cars, with our options, and no shipping or stories. Most of us are pretty hardcore and want exactly what we want. I can buy a car almost identical to what I want today at Ascot for MSRP(ST/LSS/Touring/Starshield/HT). But I don't want a black interior. Might as well wait it out - wouldn't drive it much until spring anyway. I plan to have the car a long time, and want what I've been dreaming of, not something close to it. I quess I'm not the only one.

Chris

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Most of us are pretty hardcore and want exactly what we want. I can buy a car almost identical to what I want today at Ascot for MSRP(ST/LSS/Touring/Starshield/HT). But I don't want a black interior. Might as well wait it out - wouldn't drive it much until spring anyway. I plan to have the car a long time, and want what I've been dreaming of, not something close to it. I quess I'm not the only one.

I agree with you completely, you should get exactly what you want. That being said there are exactly 3 options, and Most are getting the same few colors. I waited a total of 2 months from the time I decide I wanted the car and the time mine came in and paid msrp. I would think the people in california and other states who don't have a weather issue, would start buying these cars and forcing their dealers to rethink the way they're handling this process. It's a pretty efficient system (free enterprise) but it will only sort itself out if people act to correct it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I know what you mean, but those in CA already have deposits somewhere else (and would need to try to get them back - perhaps easy, perhaps not), would have to pay shipping ($1,200-$2,000 from east coast) or drive the car west (still gas, mileage, motels, $), might not feel like calling around to lots of dealers, and might feel like they are close to getting a car, so why pay more to get a car sooner. Just speculation of course.

Agreed, if one is not very picky and willing to pay to ship a car, there are lots (and seemingly more everyday) available all over the rest of the country at MSRP.

Chris

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I think it's a good move for Lotus to install the starshield at the factory than at port. I would have wanted it that way.

·
Registered
739 Posts
What he said... plus I can't be assed to fight the dealer for weeks to get my $2.5k deposit back, plus I actually like the guy, plus Criswell are actually playing fair (unlike some), plus I want to build a good relationship with the dealer/service manager.

AluminIum+steel+ water+salt = Battery.

:D

ChrisStarrUSA said:
There are lot's of folks who are going to be receiving cars over the next four months - let's say 1,200 US cars (16 weeks at 75 cars per week). That means that there are 1,200 hundred of us who can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Those of us from colder regions, might as well wait for our cars, with our options, and no shipping or stories. Most of us are pretty hardcore and want exactly what we want. I can buy a car almost identical to what I want today at Ascot for MSRP(ST/LSS/Touring/Starshield/HT). But I don't want a black interior. Might as well wait it out - wouldn't drive it much until spring anyway. I plan to have the car a long time, and want what I've been dreaming of, not something close to it. I quess I'm not the only one.

Chris

·
Banned
338 Posts
agree

I also think it is a much better idea to put the starshield on at the factory instead of the port. I just hope the lads in England know how to install the starshield.
How long do they have to wait for the paint to cure before the starshield can be installed???
cheers

·
Registered
637 Posts
Re: agree

Maverick1 said:
I also think it is a much better idea to put the starshield on at the factory instead of the port. I just hope the lads in England know how to install the starshield.
How long do they have to wait for the paint to cure before the starshield can be installed???
cheers
According to the guy I bought my 3M Armorfend from (wondering if this is the same stuff - it's what Lotus always used before...) - about 2 weeks for the paint to cure completely.

Of course he could have been talking total rubbish.

Craigy

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Re: Re: wrong call

Allan Gibbs said:
It could be worse. It could have gone like this:

Hang in there. The weeks tend to speed up if you're not paying attention to them.
Well Alan... In Effect, that is what he was told..:shrug:

Another translation could be " We just called you to let you know that we sold your car to a walk-in, and that it was awfully sporting of you to let us do so...You know.... A bird in the hand..Hehe."
m

1 - 14 of 14 Posts