The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is anyone here using WSIB insurance while tracking their cars? Anyone had to make a claim? Just wanted to get some opinions before I purchase a policy.

Thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hello,

Is anyone here using WSIB insurance while tracking their cars? Anyone had to make a claim? Just wanted to get some opinions before I purchase a policy.

Thanks
I just signed up with them. no claims yet. make sure you talk to them on the phone if you have questions (not via email)

mark

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Apparently, it's on Chubb paper, which is a good thing. I'd have to look at the policy form to give my professional opinion, however. If someone wants to post it, I'll weigh in.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Apparently, it's on Chubb paper, which is a good thing. I'd have to look at the policy form to give my professional opinion, however. If someone wants to post it, I'll weigh in.
I didn't get a policy with them (yet). When I asked back in April this year, I got the attached sample policy. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I didn't get a policy with them (yet). When I asked back in April this year, I got the attached sample policy. What do you think?
The biggest thing I see is that the company is to indemnify you. In other words, you pay for the damage and you'll be reimbursed as opposed to them paying for the damage from the first dollar.

·
Registered
249 Posts
EXCLUSIONS
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, this certificate does not cover
1. Liability of any kind to Third Parties.

This hasn't come up for me, thank God, but what happens if you damage someone else's car? Does it always fall upon the other driver's insurance or personal pocket, since they assume the risk of tracking/racing?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
EXCLUSIONS
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, this certificate does not cover
1. Liability of any kind to Third Parties.

This hasn't come up for me, thank God, but what happens if you damage someone else's car? Does it always fall upon the other driver's insurance or personal pocket, since they assume the risk of tracking/racing?
Personal pocket from a potential liability standpoint; but that's a given. This type of policy is strictly for track offs, where one puts one's own car into a wall or barrier. That's why it's intended more for HPDE than it is for any type of racing/advanced tracking.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Thanks! Worst case, that could be a lot of out-of-pocket money.
De nada! But at least you'll get your money back.

However, I note that there is no mechanism in the contract specifying when (potential problem). State law may address that, but this isn't your everyday-type policy. In retrospect, I might also ask for a clarification as to what 'Consequential loss of any kind' entails. That's pretty broad; however, ambiguities will ultimately be construed against the drafter of the contract - so you'll probably have coverage; you just may need a lawyer to get it, worst case.

·
Registered
459 Posts
EXCLUSIONS
Yes. Depending on the event, you sign a waiver that basically states you will eat any and all costs if you get hit by someone else.

How much is the cost for this?
WSIB does this by stated value of your car. You come up with some reasonable number your car is worth. You then pay a premium equal to 3% of that value. Your deductible is 4% of that value. Thus for a $30K car your premium is $900 and deductible $1200. I believe this covers 10 events (an event can be one weekend). But you better inquire yourself.....

·
Registered
245 Posts
How do they define a driver's education program? How do they distinguish it from racing? Are time trials covered? Does timing equipment affect coverage?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do they define a driver's education program? How do they distinguish it from racing? Are time trials covered? Does timing equipment affect coverage?
They have a list of preaproved clubs and events. I do a lot of BMW HPDE events and that was listed as well as NASA and other. I signed up recently with WSIB and had them include my member driving days at the VIR, it cost a little extra but was no problem. They just called the VIR to get the details thne added it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts