The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is it’s “about time”.

I’m tired of passing people on the inside just because they want to drive 59mph in the passing lane.

Poking along in the left lane? Prepare to pay | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | News

SEATTLE -- Even if you're going the speed limit it might not be enough to prevent you from getting a ticket if you're holding up traffic in the fast lane.

State troopers are on a mission to make sure the left lane on area freeways is used for its indented purpose: passing.

"We're doing 58, 59 miles an hour and they are just sitting there, traffic's passing them on the right hand side," Trooper Keith Leary said while pointing out a car in the left lane of Interstate 5. "That's exactly what we don't want to see happen."

The driver, Brasta Bonifcho, said he was surprised what he was doing was illegal.

"I didn't know that, I really didn't know that," he said. "I am guilty, no question about it."

Leary reminded Bonifcho that drivers need to stay in the right lanes unless they're passing another vehicle.

Everyone pulled over during Leary's patrol said they thought it wasn't a problem as long as they were going the speed limit. But the law says otherwise.

"It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic," the statute reads.

The reason for the law is to help keep traffic moving and to diffuse potential road rage situations.

"It just takes one thing to set them off," Leary said of frustrated drivers stuck behind slower moving vehicles. "If we can alleviate one of those things, maybe we can avoid an assault."

The State Patrol said several recent collisions caused by slow vehicles in the passing lane have prompted increased enforcement of the law along area interstates.

Drivers in the HOV lanes are exempt from the rule, but anyone else could be facing a $124 ticket.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
NICE!!! :clap: Now bring that down here, please.

·
Registered
506 Posts
YAY! I'd love to see the CHP start writing those tickets...

... except the people holding up traffic in the left lane are probably already doing 15 over the limit, while being passed on the right by folks going 25+ over the limit!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
While I sympathize with that and absolutely agree in principle, the first time such a ticket is challenged in court it will get thrown out.

There are not separate posted speed limits for the different lanes, there is one posted speed limit.

Technically speaking, if one is going the speed limit, one should not be passed, so it shouldn't make any difference what lane that person is in.

Again, I'm sympathetic, but this is a case of cops wasting times writing tickets that won't stick, and going to court to testify in traffic cases that will be thrown out.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Good idea.... but.... what speed do you drive, if you are in the fast lane, once you see a highway patrol?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Good idea.... but.... what speed do you drive, if you are in the fast lane, once you see a highway patrol?
Excellent question!

So in other words...being in the fast lane under any circumstance is subject to a fine.

Brilliant!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
There are not separate posted speed limits for the different lanes, there is one posted speed limit.
Easy to change, and worth it, IMHO. Isn't this the way the Autobahn works?

The whole point of "passing on the left" is to minimize the effects of lane changes on the highway by making such changes more predictable. That's why a lot of "safe drivers" get into the leftmost lane and drive the speed limit or slower - less maneuvering by other cars to attend to (and more attention for your cell phone). Of course, for the rest of us, it makes it more dangerous, because people like me will pass on the right and turn the center lane into a mosh pit.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While I sympathize with that and absolutely agree in principle, the first time such a ticket is challenged in court it will get thrown out. There are not separate posted speed limits for the different lanes, there is one posted speed limit. Technically speaking, if one is going the speed limit, one should not be passed, so it shouldn't make any difference what lane that person is in.

Again, I'm sympathetic, but this is a case of cops wasting times writing tickets that won't stick, and going to court to testify in traffic cases that will be thrown out.
Obeying one law, while breaking another, does not make you not guilty.

If I speed in the right lane, I am just as guilty as someone that is impeding traffic in the left lane. I am glad to see it being cracked down on, there is entirely too much inefficient traffic on the highways.

I think the biggest issue here is one of education, there are a lot of people out there ignorant to the fact that they're not supposed to be holding up traffic regardless of their speed. It's not their place to judge why someone else might be going fast, or even whether what they're doing is legal.

Not to mention which, tickets work because most people won't challenge them, even when they're easy to beat.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

If I speed in the right lane, I am just as guilty as someone that is impeding traffic in the left lane. I am glad to see it being cracked down on, there is entirely too much inefficient traffic on the highways.

I think the biggest issue here is one of education, there are a lot of people out there ignorant to the fact that they're not supposed to be holding up traffic regardless of their speed. It's not their place to judge why someone else might be going fast, or even whether what they're doing is legal.

Not to mention which, tickets work because most people won't challenge them, even when they're easy to beat.
+1!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Although I agree, a bigger problem here in CA is that the left lane is used a normal lane and not as a passing lane. I5 (a highway with two lanes going each way between SF and LA) for example is terrible. Most of the drivers don't want to get stuck behind a big rig so they stay in the left lane. So the right lane becomes the passing lane in between breaks in 18 wheeler convoys.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
+a billion. Two wrongs do not make a right. I'm tired of hearing the excuse, "I'm driving the speed limit therefore I don't have to follow any other laws."

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Just about every major highway in Texas has signs that say "Left lane is for passing only". It's NEVER enforced, but the 'rules of the road' are clearly there for everyone to see. I'd LOVE it if folks actually followed the laws of our state.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts