The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am graduating May 31st and will be started my new job. I would like to pick up a used Canyon Red Elise with black interior. Touring package, track package optional, and star shield.

Just trying to locate some so I know my options when the time comes soon. Thanks guys.

BTW, I am in PA and would prefer east coast, but am willing to travel if need be.

Edit: I don't know how to edit the title but i guess never mind on an 05 since canyon red wasn't offered.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
LOL I just bought my 06 Canyon Red Elise from PA over the winter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
203 Posts
just got my CRM Elise with black interior last month. It seems to be one of the rarer colors, based my watching of ebay, autotrader, and cars.com for the last year or so. Even though I really didn't relish the thought of buying one sight unseen from 3000 miles away, I felt I had to pull the trigger or end up waiting forever. I guess my advice would be definitely give serious consideration to any particular one you find, because they are not as common as the yellows, the reds, and non-colored metallics.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am partial to the magnetic blue which seems to be more common but I still like the Canyon red more, thanks for the advice. Did you buy it from a leader 3000 away or a personal sale?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am partial to the magnetic blue which seems to be more common but I still like the Canyon red more, thanks for the advice. Did you buy it from a leader 3000 away or a personal sale?
it was from a private sale. I actually won it on ebay, and amazingly I was the only bidder on it. The seller only had 9 auctions under his belt, which probably gave other bidders some pause. The car had a scraped winglet on the bottom of the nose, but I planned on attaching the Lotus bump guards there anyway, which would totally cover the scrape. I definetly took a huge chance, but I researched the seller on ebay, and I also paid through Escrow.com. This allowed me two days to inspect the car upon receipt before they released the funds to him. I highly recommend using an escrow service if you decide to buy one sight unseen. There were definitely some surprises with the car--he drilled into the dash to install and Ipod mount, which I wasn't too happy about-- and there were lots of light scratches to the car's clear coat (I guess I expected better treatment of a Lotus). But no deal breakers. Definitely try to get the car inspected by an inspection service if you can't look it over yourself.

As far as the color goes, at first I was sold on an all-black one, with the Black Pack. But I kept seeing photos of the Canyon Red ones and I just fell in love with it. And in person-- wow! I don't even need to drive it. Just sitting in my garage, it's like a work of art. I am totally happy I chose CRM over black.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Canyon Red was a 2006 color. Before that it was Bordeaux Pearl Magnetic (the color of my Elise in my avatar). Canyon Red has less of a purple hue than Bordeaux and I actually like it better than Bordeaux.

Ben I understand you're looking for an '06 Elise but have you considered Criswell's Canyon Red Exige S? Dan is selling it for $52,400 ($10K off) which should also help depreciation.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/11-need-go-52834/index11.html
(not the best picture of Canyon Red IMO - looks close to Ardent Red)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw that exige and I would prefer an elise, but in addition I was looking for an 06 elise for somewhere around 37-38k, 52k even though a good deal, is much more than im looking to spend.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I think I found one in Chicago that I like, it doesnt have the sport package from what I can tell and its a tan instead of black interior. Besides those two things its a great price in my opinion. Do you think this should be something worth my while, and in the future try and change out the door panel and seats for black and maybe upgrade the suspension to a sport pack later? Considering how hard canyon red is to find.

link:

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

·
Registered
485 Posts
I checked the carfax on that car you listed and it comes us as a rental. Unless the price was a lot cheaper I am not sure I would buy a rental.

·
Registered
203 Posts
... and in the future try and change out the door panel and seats for black and maybe upgrade the suspension to a sport pack later?
While I agree with CRM being a hard-to-find color, I think that swapping out the seats and door panels would be more trouble and expense than it's worth. I investigated this myself when I came across some Elise's with interiors I didnt like. You might be able to find someone who'd be willing to swap out colors with you, but you'd have to take that chance. If you have to buy them, new Probax seats are $975 a piece if I'm not mistaken. The door panels are a couple of hundred bucks, so they are within reason I suppose.

The price on the car you found isn't too bad, esp if you can talk the dealer down. However, I did also note that it doesn't appear to have a hardtop. If this is important to you (it was to me), then bear in mind it will cost you at least $1400 for a used one (and of course, you have to find one thats CRM). So now the price isn't so hot, because you'd have to spend more on the top. If you could get it for the really low 30's, maybe it might be worth it (provided it passed an independent inspection by a qualified mechanic).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While I agree with CRM being a hard-to-find color, I think that swapping out the seats and door panels would be more trouble and expense than it's worth. I investigated this myself when I came across some Elise's with interiors I didnt like. You might be able to find someone who'd be willing to swap out colors with you, but you'd have to take that chance. If you have to buy them, new Probax seats are $975 a piece if I'm not mistaken. The door panels are a couple of hundred bucks, so they are within reason I suppose.

The price on the car you found isn't too bad, esp if you can talk the dealer down. However, I did also note that it doesn't appear to have a hardtop. If this is important to you (it was to me), then bear in mind it will cost you at least $1400 for a used one (and of course, you have to find one thats CRM). So now the price isn't so hot, because you'd have to spend more on the top. If you could get it for the really low 30's, maybe it might be worth it (provided it passed an independent inspection by a qualified mechanic).
I wouldn't mind a hard top, that is semi important. I would consider buying a CF one and painting it. I dunno but being that it is a rental car as i have been told, that sounds like a deal breaker, it probably wasn't treated every well at all.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a canyon red, I was planning on going to see it to see what canyon red looked like in person.

Allan I think Elise withdrawal must be driving you crazy. Your car was Bordeaux Red Pearl. -poke- :D

That Criswell car looks more like Chili Red than Canyon Red.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts