The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, fuk. The dash cluster does whatever it wants to do. So, if anyone has any methods of fixing this issue, or has a working one laying around, please let me know. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have one, but I have no idea what the going rate for one would be.

Feel free to PM me what you consider to be a reasonable offer.

Cheers,

- Nick

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Nick,

If Ken passes, I might be interested. Mine works fine, but I swear the needle on my speedo is very slightly bent, like it melted in the hot sun.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm definitely interested. Nick I PMed you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My speedo needle is bent too and the color of the tach and speedo needles has washed out to a light pinkish orange :(

And I don't leave the car out in the sun for any inordinate amount of time. It is definitely sun damage though.

You can see it pretty obviously in this picture. (Don't razz me about driving about driving and taking pictures - a friend of mine leaned in and took this pic with her phone)

I wonder if there is any way possible to get new needles? It looks like later models have more solid looking needles that are also more vibrant in color. It seems like the Stack company that made our clusters realized the problem and changed the design. Maybe the needles from an '06 and up would fit our '05 if they sold replacement needles separately? I tried once to contact Stack but didn't make any headway to finding anything out.

I also have the issue with my cluster where sometimes out of the blue, the whole cluster goes dead and the needles drop to zero. Then after driving along a while it just pops back to life. I believe that is the issue other Lotus owners have talked about where the soldered contacts behind the cluster have cracked and make intermittent contact. I'm going to be pulling my cluster out soon to check it out and try to re-solder the contacts. It would be great if at the same time I could replace the needles.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My speedo needle is bent too and the color of the tach and speedo needles has washed out to a light pinkish orange :(

And I don't leave the car out in the sun for any inordinate amount of time. It is definitely sun damage though.

You can see it pretty obviously in this picture. (Don't razz me about driving about driving and taking pictures - a friend of mine leaned in and took this pic with her phone)

I wonder if there is any way possible to get new needles? It looks like later models have more solid looking needles that are also more vibrant in color. It seems like the Stack company that made our clusters realized the problem and changed the design. Maybe the needles from an '06 and up would fit our '05 if they sold replacement needles separately? I tried once to contact Stack but didn't make any headway to finding anything out.

I also have the issue with my cluster where sometimes out of the blue, the whole cluster goes dead and the needles drop to zero. Then after driving along a while it just pops back to life. I believe that is the issue other Lotus owners have talked about where the soldered contacts behind the cluster have cracked and make intermittent contact. I'm going to be pulling my cluster out soon to check it out and try to re-solder the contacts. It would be great if at the same time I could replace the needles.
Where is this soldered problem? How do you remove the dash cluster? Any reference threads

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks Saffron. My needle looks exactly like yours, although it's generally pointing closer to the opposite direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts