The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't Import Car to Canada....so hold the phone!!! Looking to purchase a 2005 Lotus Elise. Preffered colors are Storm Titanium / Arctic Silver, Polar Blue, Krypton Green(don't know if avail in 05;)) but will consider all as price and condition seem to be the more important factors!! I've been given a budget of $30,000. hardtop and touring package preffered. The money is in the bank and we are ready to go! Someone "make me a deal!".:D Pm me or e-mail me @ [email protected]

Must be reasonably close to the Canadian Border (west) as I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. So........California, Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, ND, SD, Wyoming, Minnesota......Well you get the idea...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
For Polar you have to go 06 or 07...Krypton was available....

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll ask her about the red......What is this about not being able to import a Lotus into Canada.....What could be the specific reason? Add your daytime running lights ect... and you should be good to go...anyone have any more info on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WTF!!! - Taken from Puresportscar.com

An American ('Federal') Elise cannot (legally) be imported or brought into Canada for registration and use by a Canadian as it does not meet Transport Canada requirements. But thus far I have not been able to find out the details of these requirements.

Yes, the American Elise does come with Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) which are mandatory for all road vehicles in Canada, but not in the US. However, I believe (and the American Elise appears to confirm) that there is no prohibition on a manufacturer installing the feature on cars to be sold in the USA, though very few do.

A phone call to the Transport Canada Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) office in Toronto has confirmed my claim that Canadians cannot (legally) import American Elises (or Exiges) into Canada. The only exception is that granted to John Scotti Lotus (Montreal), who is permitted to import these two models from the US (from Lotus USA) and bring them up to Canadian specifications for sale to Canadians. Presumably, this means that the Toronto and Vancouver dealers obtain their cars from this Montreal dealer.)

However, the person that I spoke to at the RIV did not have any details as to why an American Elise or Exige could not be imported in by an individual. According to him, the ONLY Lotus cars that could be imported were the following :

1993 Esprit
1994-95 Esprit S4
1995 Esprit S-43
1997-2004 Esprit V-8

With these exceptions, according to the Transport Canada RIV, NO Lotus manufactured since 1992 and sold in the US could be imported into Canada. (Vehicles older than 15 years are exempt, hence the 1992 cut-off.)

Anybody have a way around this?? (shot in the dark)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I have been through this so many times it gives me headaches.

US Elise and Exige are not allowed to be exported to Canada. This is a Canadian regulation. It is more than daytime running lamps I can assure you. I researched and researched and now do know what the changes are but I WILL NOT TELL ANYONE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER, THE CANADIAN DOT WILL NOT ALLOW THEM TO BE IMPORTED EVEN IF THEY ARE CONVERTED.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have been through this so many times it gives me headaches.

US Elise and Exige are not allowed to be exported to Canada. This is a Canadian regulation. It is more than daytime running lamps I can assure you. I researched and researched and now do know what the changes are but I WILL NOT TELL ANYONE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER, THE CANADIAN DOT WILL NOT ALLOW THEM TO BE IMPORTED EVEN IF THEY ARE CONVERTED.
robert, you're such the kind and considerate professional. i'm glad i don't sell cars, as i'd be be finished at month's end with a grand tally of zero units sold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like that Guy in Montreal who is "Allowed" to import them in, convert them, crank up the price, and sell them in exotic car dealerships in Vancouver, Monteral, and Toronto has got some kind of monopoly going. Why is he allowed to do it but when you ask get a really harsh NO!. seems a little fishy to me.....

There should be a sticky so Folks from the "Great White North" wouldn't even get that far. Hmmm....buy a lotus and....uh! You can't import them into Canada! oh, well.....there goes that idea.....

Guess that used one in Vancouver with over 10,000 k's @ $50,000 is a deal.........Yeah right, ..... Guess being a Canadian You would think I was used to being taken advantage of by now :(

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
You can't import a Corvette C6 into Canada because the front bumper is unsafe. :panic: You can buy from a Canadian GM dealer for $25K more than the same car in the US. Hmmm... isn't the Loonie at about a 1/1 ratio with the US dollar now?

·
Registered
992 Posts
You can't import a Corvette C6 into Canada because the front bumper is unsafe. :panic: You can buy from a Canadian GM dealer for $25K more than the same car in the US. Hmmm... isn't the Loonie at about a 1/1 ratio with the US dollar now?
sounds like a lot for a bumper...must be some hi tech composite ;-)

and yes, loonie to greenback about .99 now. (i guess this is what happens to a nation-state's currency when u spend a trill or so overseas? nice.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, loonie is at par or close enough. I'm looking at $50,000 for a used on here in Canada. there are 0 Canadian Elise's for sale privately

This sucks

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
For the Corvette it needs a bracket installed under the front bumper fascia. The total job is about $1,000 to do a conversion. The questions that arise are; one, is it the manufacturers that are saying an imported car doesn't meet safety specifications to protect their dealers and their profits, or two, is the Canadian government doing something similar in protecting Canadian businesses and tax revenues? I don't know, but it seems unfair that people in Canada have to pay such a large difference in price whether for a Corvette or a Lotus. :(

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
robert, you're such the kind and considerate professional. i'm glad i don't sell cars, as i'd be be finished at month's end with a grand tally of zero units sold.
A truly admirable, and remarkable grasp of the obvious.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Originally Posted by ace10

not true ace, i'll buy YOUR car from you. so that'd be a sale. local pickup. local funds. and my offer of $29,999 stands. no haggle.

so, when u need a sale, hit me up rotfl

·
Registered
13 Posts
05 Elise for sale

What a sad day !!!!!
A sunny saturday afternoon, just pull off my garage about a block away
a Jerk exiting from a plaza came acroass my lane ignoring me meanwhile
me as a bigger jerk by avoiding an accident decided to go the center
island of the street causing my bumper to be destroyed...
The car is Orange only 4500 Miles...I've decided to sell it AS IS
whoever interested e-mail me : [email protected]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
What a sad day !!!!!
A sunny saturday afternoon, just pull off my garage about a block away
a Jerk exiting from a plaza came acroass my lane ignoring me meanwhile
me as a bigger jerk by avoiding an accident decided to go the center
island of the street causing my bumper to be destroyed...
The car is Orange only 4500 Miles...I've decided to sell it AS IS
whoever interested e-mail me : [email protected]
Holy Threadjacking Batman!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
What if you weren't importing an American car, but a "British" car that just happened to have one extra stop along the way?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you live in Canada and want a Lotus Elise well.....SUCKER!!!

Nope. We are only allowed to register cars sold in Canada. My guess is they don't want us Canadians bringing cars over from U.S. or where ever for $30,000 when they have their newly set up dealerships here (qty 3) flogging them for $50,000 used. and $65,000 - $75,000 new. They would be out of business. I had been discussing the new 08 corvette with someone and apparently R.I.V. doesn't decide what car gets put on the "Can not import list" but it's the CAR MAKER :eek:(same rule applies to the vette as there is a $30,000 price difference.:crazyeyes). We will see this more and more as we Canadians are getting absolutely HOSED and need to take a stand considering the dollar is at or close to par. There needs to be a call to create a North American Standard. Well, at lease Canada/U.S.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts