The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Lotus Talk members.
Looking for a project car, in between certain choices for a shop street car..

Preffered 2006+ Lotus Exige with Blown Motor or No Motor/Transmission but complete Body wise, minimal body damage/imperfections BUT clean title a must.
Looking to spend anywhere from 15-25k for the right shell. possibly 32.5k for a complete running exige.

Might also be interested in an 05-06+ Elise as well if available

Color Preference: Black on Black, or White on Black. but open to whats available.

Some of you may know shops with customer shells laying around.. you can point me in the right direction if you know of anything for sale.

Location: NY but travel/Transport can be arranged so closer to NY preffered but distance doesnt matter.

thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats right mr onehotlap.com ! :clap:

possibly 300hp NA or 600hp FI E85 6266

just cant justify buying a complete exige and rip out a good running motor :p

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just being honest here... This is going to be EXTREMELY difficult to find.

Most that have motor damage will simply fix the motor. Most with minor damage will just fix the damage.

You basically don't see any "shells" for sale expect when they are a salvage title, or banged up pretty good and requiring a lot of body work.

What I would recommend doing is looking for a clean car to start, and don't be afraid to spend a little extra for a good one. Remember the last thing you can ever change when you start a project like this is the chassis you started with.

Remember that you can sell quite a bit of the Lotus/2zz stuff to recoup some money. Consider the cost of a nice car minus what you get in return for the parts as the cost of a good clean shell. :)

Last note is that an Elise will probably fit the budget better than the Exige. And in terms of fitment both 300hp NA setup or turbo K will fit.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I agree its a tough order because an engine and transmission is worth about the same as a single clamshell.

Its not like an old ferrari or something where a rebuild is prohibitively expensive. If you get a car with an intact drivetrain you cant even expect to recoup that much from the engine and trans

that being said you should have no problem buying an NA exige in good condition for 30k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up guys. Pretty much knew this in the back of my head just hoped I got lucky.. I can get an evo shell locally for 8gs and with another 10 have a painted 600hp awd beast .. obviously a lotus is more rare so its not going to be as affordable but still deciding between the two..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts