The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I would like to buy a 111 frame. Where can I get one at a reasonable price? How much do they go for brand new?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
From lotusgarage.com it says $7500..

8600 is the quote that I got from the local dealer.. when they were still here

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys.
Just curious, but is this for your car-building venture? :)
Yes, sir. We need something ultra-lightweight, and I'm not a fan of CF monocoque for various reasons. I was thinking the Lotus Engineering Versatile Vehicle Architecture (VVA) that they used in the APX could work well for what we're planning on - it would allow us to outsource much of the development and keep overhead down, while also having all of the characteristics we need from a chassis and being "exotic" enough to demand the price point we are considering. In the meantime, I think an Elise frame would work well for prototype / proof of concept development. :)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Those prices are for replacement chassis.

I am fairly certain that they will not just sell you a chassis so you can build a car of your own design.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am fairly certain that they will not just sell you a chassis so you can build a car of your own design.
I am fairly certain that they can't stop me from acquiring one, whether they sell it to me directly or not. ;)

I'm also fairly certain you don't know what Lotus VVA is. They designed the system with resale to other auto-makers in mind. :)

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Lotus will only sell a replacement chassis - not a new chassis. They also ensure that the chassis which is being replaced is rendered unusable by asking you to cut out a large section near the front VIN and send it to them.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I am fairly certain that they can't stop me from acquiring one, whether they sell it to me directly or not. ;)

I'm also fairly certain you don't know what Lotus VVA is. They designed the system with resale to other auto-makers in mind. :)
You are wrong on both counts:thwack:

On your last point I don't think you are the customer they had in mind...-poke-

Good luck:wave::shift:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Well, Patrick, in all fairness to Steve, he can always buy another car and take the frame, which would explain his interest in the powertrain-free car in the for sale thread.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well then stop trolling. :)

On your last point I don't think you are the customer they had in mind...-poke-
No? Lotus doesn't cater to low-volume niche auto-makers? Explain Zap and Tesla. :shrug: Oh, and explain this:
VVA Article said:
The great advantage of this technology is that it can be used by one OEM looking to develop a range of niche products, or by a group of OEMs looking to share investment, but still retain a high degree of end product separation.
Good luck:wave::shift:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Goodluck and create a fun car man.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
No? Lotus doesn't cater to low-volume niche auto-makers? Explain Zap and Tesla. :shrug: Oh, and explain this:

Do a google on Tesla's funding and then tell me how yours compares...:rolleyes::shift:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Well, Patrick, in all fairness to Steve, he can always buy another car and take the frame, which would explain his interest in the powertrain-free car in the for sale thread.
Yes, I know. I would say that is the only way.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I haven't sought funding yet. First I want to prove the concept. If it works as I expect, then we can talk about your interest in investing. :)
I would love to invest over $100 Million into a company called doomed...rotfl

Financing and organization

The initial, Series A investment round of USD$7.5 million was led by PayPal co-founder Elon Musk in April 2004 and included Compass Technology Partners. Mr. Musk became Tesla's Chairman of the Board and in February 2005, led Tesla Motors' second, USD$13 million Series B investment round which added Valor Equity Partners to the funding team. Mr. Musk co-led the third, USD$40 million Series C round in May 2006 along with VantagePoint Venture Partners. Tesla's third round included investment from prominent entrepreneurs including Google co-founders Sergey Brin & Larry Page, former eBay President Jeff Skoll, Hyatt heir Nick Pritzker and added the VC firms Draper, Fisher, Jurvetson, Capricorn Management and The Bay Area Equity Fund Managed by JP Morgan.[1]
The fourth, Series D round in May 2007 added another USD$45 million and brought the total investments to over $105 million USD through private financing. Elon Musk, who was President of PayPal before it was bought by eBay, has contributed $37 million of his own money to the company. In August, 2007 Martin Eberhard was replaced by an interim CEO, Michael Marks. In December 2007, Ze'ev Drori became the permanent CEO and President of Tesla Motors.[3] In January 2008, Tesla Motors fired several key personnel that had been involved from the inception after a performance review by the new CEO.[4]
Tesla Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 20 of 27 Posts