The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WTB: 2005 Lotus Elise

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in buying a 2005 Lotus Elise. I have a couple requirements so I will just list them.
  • Reasonable Mileage
  • 27k Price Range
  • All colors, except orange
  • Touring pack
  • Never tracked
  • One owner
I am in SoCal, but will consider shipping from anywhere. Send me PMs or links to your car in the thread. I appreciate your time, and hope to be a proud owner of an Elise very soon!

Thank You,
Relaxing

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
after like a day of being up? High hopes my friend

·
Registered
556 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
488 Posts
One owner and never tracked may be near impossible to find. I wouldn't want to drive a car like that personally. I don't know what its going to do under spirited driving, or on a track day. Are the toe links going to break? Will the engine give me grief if reved to the top? Having mine for 3 years, I wouldn't trust a car from the factory personally.... These cars can stand to have some basic improvements.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It never fails to amuse me the insistence on non-tracked cars. In a car like the Elise/Exige, what would you rather have? An involved owner who by necessity changes brake fluid, stays on top of pads, calipers and rotors, changes wheels (no rusted hubs), changes oil more than once a year (track inspections), updates weak toe links, solves the oil starvation issue (G Pan), and keeps on top of the electrical system, or a decaying garage queen? A car that's been run hard in a few HPDE events a year is a car that was attended to, that got itself up to a good and steady operating temperature, that got all the oily bits good and lubed, and that likely shook loose all the crud that the garage queen will shake for its new owner once he writes the check.

The only part of this car that is fragile is the fiberglass. Underneath it's a tough little car, that a few higher-speed sessions won't hurt a bit.

If I were buying one of these today, practically the only item on my list would be to get the measure of its owner and get a service history that tells me it was well-maintained and its fluids changed a lot. Whether it was run around in some club events would be a plus, not a minus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Andy. That's helpful thinking that will likely save me some money when I buy my 05/06 Elise.

I am struck by the kindness and thoughtfulness of the Lotus owners. And I agree that more important than track history is whom you buy from.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts