The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey LT!

I'm a long time lurker of these forums (10+ years I think?) looking to finally purchase my first Lotus! I'm looking for a clean, stock or lightly modded 06+ Elise or an 06 Exige, preferably in black (preference for PhB over SB) or white. I'm looking for a anywhere between 10-50k miles, touring pack, hard top would be nice with an Elise, ProBax seats (or non-05 seats), LED taillights intact, good paint, and relatively undamaged front splitter.

I'm located in Southern California and I'm hoping to find a car nearby, but wouldn't be opposed to driving a few hundred miles for the right car either.

I've been looking for a few weeks now, so I'm fairly familiar with all the cars available on LT, WireWheel, AutoTrader, CarGurus, Ebay, and even Craigslists, but would welcome any other suggestions on where to look or for other listings you might find!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Have you looked here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/low-mileage-2005-elise-472604/

This has dragged on for a while and I'm pretty relaxed about the price.

You're right about the '05 seats not being too compliant, but it's easy to install viscoelastic foam (or whatever you want) in them to your liking. There's a substantial thread on that on LT. I added some ethafoam to the bottom of my drivers seat to preserve my tailbone and it works, and was straightforward to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link pajarito-- I did have this car on my radar, but wanted to see if I could find something 06+ and a little closer to me first before broadening my search to 05's and cars a little further away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the response not-a-number! I was actually interested in your car, primarily since it looked proactively maintained (and maintained well at that!), but I was hoping for an 06+ and in black or white to show up before looking at other colors and model years. I'm looking for an 06+ primarily for the tail lights, but seats are a close second. I'm keeping an open mind as well, but wanted to see kinds of cars might show up if I posted here first.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the 06+ have improved headlights as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the response not-a-number! I was actually interested in your car, primarily since it looked proactively maintained (and maintained well at that!), but I was hoping for an 06+ and in black or white to show up before looking at other colors and model years. I'm looking for an 06+ primarily for the tail lights, but seats are a close second. I'm keeping an open mind as well, but wanted to see kinds of cars might show up if I posted here first.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the 06+ have improved headlights as well.
No problem. Let me know if you want to check it out.
Id be open to drop the price if you dont want the wheels and other spares. Then put that towards tail lights :grin2:

Another thing to consider if you havnt driven many Elise is the 05 has a mechanical throttle cable and 06+ is fly by wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely keep it in mind!

I'll be honest, I don't know that I would be able to appreciate the difference between the throttle cable vs fly-by-wire so that aspect has been a wash for me. I'm curious though, do you have a preference for the throttle cable?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Many here prefer the throttle response that the cable offers vs. DBW, as there is reportedly less lag. The seats are easy to change out to Probax if that's a deal breaker for you, as most Elise seats seem to show wear from just a little use (probably due to the very thin/lightweight leather used). Probax seats are still available new for a price.

I would look for a car based on condition rather than year or even color, as there are some really nice low-mileage cars out there that have been kept in excellent condition. Many others have been run into the ground and owned by several careless owners. My car is an early '05 (built July 2004), so it is now 15 years old. The newest one out there is approaching 9-10 years old, so these cars have been around for a while.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely keep it in mind!

I'll be honest, I don't know that I would be able to appreciate the difference between the throttle cable vs fly-by-wire so that aspect has been a wash for me. I'm curious though, do you have a preference for the throttle cable?

This is just my personal opinion/preference through it is echoed by many other.
I prefer the mechanical cable. Its more direct and nothing can go wrong (electrically). I have driven a DBW version right after driving mine and I could feel a delay. Maybe each DBW car is different and some are better than others?

To be honest I imagine that your brain compensates for the very minor delay and you dont notice after a while. Because there arnt many complaints about DBW.

Just my 2c worth

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link senna! I've been watching that thread-- I'm tempted, but that S260 is a little too much car for me and my current budget.

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Thanks for the link senna! I've been watching that thread-- I'm tempted, but that S260 is a little too much car for me and my current budget.
I think there are reasons why it hasn't sold. S240s have sold at a higher cost. Karma's a b!#*+z.

San

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am considering selling my 2006 for $36.5. 17.5k mi. Graphite (dark) gray with red interior. Black LSS wheels. Touring. Penske NAs. Inokinetic muffler. I bought it at 12.5k mi.

I have the silver wheels, rear panel cover, the original muffler, and the original Bilstein touring dampers.

Just passed emissions last week and the CA tags are good til Nov 2020.

I am in San Jose. PM me if you want contact info/pictures, etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts