The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 2005 Elise (Federal):

I am looking for a passenger-side (on LHD car) lens cover that goes over the headlight assembly.

If you would rather sell a matched-set, that's fine, too.

I need the cover with the black hood (?) that's inside. I have all the bolts to attach it to the car but, again, if they come with it, that'd be nice, too.

Lotus wants $800 for one lens cover … which blows my friggin' mind.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PM sent, thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Whenever you install the lens cover, be very careful when you torque the bolts that hold it in place. If you over-torque 'em, you are likely to break the plastic tabs into which the bolts fit. I don't know the torque specs, but it's probably a good idea to find them and tighten the bolts accordingly.

My dealer over tightened 'em and a couple of months later after all three mounting points broke the lense nearly fell out. Initially, I didn't know why the lens mounts broke. But, the car was under warranty so I figured it wouldn't be any problem to get the lens replaced under warranty. Boy, was I wrong.

The dealer told me they'd "have to check into it with Lotus to see what they'd do." After about two weeks, the dealer finally told me "Lotus said the only thing they'd pay for is to have us [the dealer] repair the broken mounts." That sounded bogus because the only way to repair it that I could see would be to glue a nut to the remnants of the original mounts and that didn't seem like it would hold up very well.

When I protested, the dealer kept telling me that was all Lotus would authorize. Early in the deal, the dealer mentioned the name of the guy at Lotus who deals with warranty claims so I told the dealer I'd talk to him directly to work it out. The dealer really didn't want me to do that and wouldn't give me his telephone number. Hmmmm, I thought to myself.

I got the number from this board and imagine my surprise when I talked with the person at Lotus and he told me that they denied the warranty claim entirely because the lenses only break in this manner if the mounting bolts are over tightened. Hmmmm, I again thought to myself.

Since the dealer is the only one who ever removed my lenses, it was they who must have over tightened the bolts. Which of course makes them responsible for replacing the lens, which they didn't want to do because lenses are expensive even at dealer cost. Which also means they were lying like a room full of politicians on debate day about Lotus only authorizing a repair of the lens. The dishonest dealer just didn't want to pay to fix its own mistake and was going to mickey mouse it to just get rid of me...after all, my warranty was set to expire in a couple of weeks so that's as long as the repair needed to hold.

Once I confronted the dealer with what I knew, we worked it out that the lens would be replaced, so all's well that ends well.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Whenever you install the lens cover, be very careful when you torque the bolts that hold it in place. If you over-torque 'em, you are likely to break the plastic tabs into which the bolts fit. I don't know the torque specs, but it's probably a good idea to find them and tighten the bolts accordingly.

My dealer over tightened 'em and a couple of months later after all three mounting points broke the lense nearly fell out. Initially, I didn't know why the lens mounts broke. But, the car was under warranty so I figured it wouldn't be any problem to get the lens replaced under warranty. Boy, was I wrong.

The dealer told me they'd "have to check into it with Lotus to see what they'd do." After about two weeks, the dealer finally told me "Lotus said the only thing they'd pay for is to have us [the dealer] repair the broken mounts." That sounded bogus because the only way to repair it that I could see would be to glue a nut to the remnants of the original mounts and that didn't seem like it would hold up very well.

When I protested, the dealer kept telling me that was all Lotus would authorize. Early in the deal, the dealer mentioned the name of the guy at Lotus who deals with warranty claims so I told the dealer I'd talk to him directly to work it out. The dealer really didn't want me to do that and wouldn't give me his telephone number. Hmmmm, I thought to myself.

I got the number from this board and imagine my surprise when I talked with the person at Lotus and he told me that they denied the warranty claim entirely because the lenses only break in this manner if the mounting bolts are over tightened. Hmmmm, I again thought to myself.

Since the dealer is the only one who ever removed my lenses, it was they who must have over tightened the bolts. Which of course makes them responsible for replacing the lens, which they didn't want to do because lenses are expensive even at dealer cost. Which also means they were lying like a room full of politicians on debate day about Lotus only authorizing a repair of the lens. The dishonest dealer just didn't want to pay to fix its own mistake and was going to mickey mouse it to just get rid of me...after all, my warranty was set to expire in a couple of weeks so that's as long as the repair needed to hold.

Once I confronted the dealer with what I knew, we worked it out that the lens would be replaced, so all's well that ends well.
And dealerships wonder why people think so poorly of them :wallbang:.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is close to the situation I'm in. I tapped a parking curb and had to have the front clamshell fixed. I guess when I put the lens covers back on, I over tightened them. After a couple months, I came out of a store to find my front lens cover hanging. In any case, two of the three clips are broken.

After looking at things, it looks like one of those parts that's made by the lowest bidder -- which makes me even more mad that they're charging nearly $800 per lens cover. Surely it doesn't cost but maybe $50 to $100 to make these things. Highway robbery for a sub-par part.

In the mean time, a little RTV sealant has been doing well but I had to replace a headlamp bulb today and I would rather just get the part rather than have to scrape all that silicone off again. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts