The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have one for sale please let me know. I'm looking for a fairly base car. I don't really want the hardtop or touring pack. The sport pack would be nice but doesn't really matter either way. I like almost every color so that's not too big a deal.

Cash buyer (but not a sucker so if your price starts with a 5 don't bother)

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: WTB: Elise NOW

atyclb said:
did you mean to say you really DON'T want the hardtop or touring pack?

Otherwise it sounds like you want a completely loaded car, despite saying you were looking for a base car.
duh. Yeah that's what i meant to say, fixed it in my original post.

i'd be happy to take a car with options but they really have no value to me.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Most people say "I'm looking for a car with no options, they have no value to me" And when you show them the stripper car they say "oh, well I did want a few options..."
I do agree with you if you are sincere though. I got the sport pak only and would have got the base car if I had really thought about it... I know that I will be changing the suspension in time..
BMC of San Francisco has a Starlight Black touring car in stock.
I think the price will be over msrp but don't know how much over. Vincent Golde is my sales guy there if you like the black give him a call...:p

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
perryeyges said:
Most people say "I'm looking for a car with no options, they have no value to me" And when you show them the stripper car they say "oh, well I did want a few options..."
I do agree with you if you are sincere though. I got the sport pak only and would have got the base car if I had really thought about it... I know that I will be changing the suspension in time..
I think the price will be over msrp but don't know how much over. Vincent Golde is my sales guy there if you like the black give him a call...:p
well i have a Chrome Orange sport pack car on order but am getting impacient. If i had it to do over again i would probably still order the sport pack but don't really care if it doesn't have it as the aftermarket should provide the same things (if not better). I have zero use for the hardtop or touring packages so they are truly worthless to me.

I'm looking to pay around 46.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
perryeyges said:

I went to BMC just to check out colors (they had an ardent customer car at the time). I could have sworn the sales guy said they're charging a $15K premium for the two cars they ordered on their own. Whatever it was, it wasn't less than a $10K premium.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
offroadr35 said:

I'm looking to pay around 46.

-Steve
Unless you get a used one with no options and basic paint I don't think you'll find that anytime soon.

$41,725 Base (red or yellow) MSRP
+ $2,608 taxes (6.25% in Texas, probably more in CA)
+ license, registration etc...

Total base car: $44,333 + license, registration, etc..

that's just around $1,000 over sticker on a base model. Not imposible but very unlikelly in the near future.

I'm sure you could find it in the middle of winter. Good luck finding it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
offroadr35 said:
If you have one for sale please let me know. I'm looking for a fairly base car. I don't really want the hardtop or touring pack. The sport pack would be nice but doesn't really matter either way. I like almost every color so that's not too big a deal.

Cash buyer (but not a sucker so if your price starts with a 5 don't bother)

Thanks,
Steve
call all the dealers in the country. some (many?) have cars in showrooms to be sold over msrp - this "over" varying greately. make a list, take what suits you best - be it cheapest or options or whatever.

for example, in detroit (auto europe), last time i checked, there was a car available for sale going over msrp, but i don't think this "over" was more than 6K. being from l.a. you may not want to consider detroit, but all i am trying to say is that it is worth checking many dealers.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
called most everyone in the country and there are VERY few for sale. I think i found about 4 of them and all are fully loaded.

I don't think 46 is unreasonable for a base car. That is about 5 over. I don't have a problem paying 5 over but it begins to get a bit much when it's 5 over plus another 5 for options that i don't want.

-Steve

·
Registered
538 Posts
offroadr35 said:
called most everyone in the country and there are VERY few for sale. I think i found about 4 of them and all are fully loaded.

I don't think 46 is unreasonable for a base car. That is about 5 over. I don't have a problem paying 5 over but it begins to get a bit much when it's 5 over plus another 5 for options that i don't want.

-Steve
Not sure I agree. Mine has the touring pack, but I got the car before the $995 MSRP increase. Still, it was close to $44K out the door, and VA has a lower tax rate than many. The car today would be almost $45K out the door. Guess my point is that there's little incentive in offering $46K when that's pretty much cost to the seller. Now, if you're talking strictly buying from a dealership (and not from a private party), your logic works better, but I still don't see how the numbers work (i.e., it's still not $5K profit). It's almost $42K for a base car including freight.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Agreed. The numbers only make sense if buying from a dealer who is willing to make an easy $4-5k. A private party that paid fees and sales tax will want more.

My car- Yellow, Touring. Sport. Star Shield. Destination. Sales Tax. $49,550

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
perryeyges said:
I was told that the SB car is their 2nd demo. They have sold off their AR demo to someone on this board for 10K over

and how many more demos will they get before their next customer car???

they have delivered 2 customer cars and received 2 demos

·
Registered
538 Posts
Randy Chase said:

My car- Yellow, Touring. Sport. Star Shield. Destination. Sales Tax. $49,550
Wow! :eek: Even given the difference in options, sales tax much be MUCH more in CA. (Then again, we get to pay a 5% property tax every year. Guess they get you one way or another...)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I was told that the owner of BMC Mr Qvale took the Argent Red car as his personal demo. This guy could drive most any exotic and regularly does.:clap: :bow:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
perryeyges said:
I was told that the owner of BMC Mr Qvale took the Argent Red car as his personal demo. This guy could drive most any exotic and regularly does.:clap: :bow:
i was told they sold their red demo to "some company." the lady that sits at a desk in the showroom told me this; she also said she is the assistant to the lotus sales manager.

this info would seem to be corroborated by the poster on this forum who is trying to sell his red elise. it was purchased for 10K over msrp through an outside agency. the buyer was then sent to bmc to pick up this AR elise.

why bmc didn't sell this car on their own is up for speculation...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
raggedy1 said:
why bmc didn't sell this car on their own is up for speculation...
Peculiar indeed. Maybe there's some restriction that they can only sell it to another dealer, so this "company" has to play middle-man for the transaction?

What I'm more puzzled by is... how does the dealership get a SECOND demo?

"Uh, hi Lotus? Yeah, we need another demo car."
"What happened to the Demo we sent you two weeks ago?"

"Uh, yeah... We liked it. Can we have a second one?"
"Sure thing.. let me slide the customer cars down a notch and get you another one right away."

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
2nd demo:

yup, that was my question exactly.

they have delivered 2 customer cars and have received 2 demos....

someone has assured me that it would not be unusual for a dealer to have ordered 2 demos...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts