The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in the market looking for a Lotus. I now have the fund and ready to get one. Here are what I am looking for.

$25-$29 for a mint Elise
<$33k for a Exige
<$33k for a supercharged Elise or Exige

Prefer:
Chrome orange, stafforn yellow, Ardent Red or White.
decent upgrades like exhaust, CF goodies, etc

Must:
Touring package, Hardtop
Less than 35k miles

I am in Kansas but would travel anywhere for the right car.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nothing???:shrug:

I have the money ready~~SC would motivate me even more.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
nothing???:shrug:

I have the money ready~~SC would motivate me even more.
For a factory supercharged car, your desired point of entry is likely a bit low. Examples that are exceptions are just that, and if you hold out for a $33K or lower price for a good, solid, factory supercharged car, be prepared to compromise on other things you may want.

Aftermarket supercharged cars are a bit of a roll of the dice, depending on the installation and tune. Lower priced ones are often lower priced for a reason.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a factory supercharged car, your desired point of entry is likely a bit low. Examples that are exceptions are just that, and if you hold out for a $33K or lower price for a good, solid, factory supercharged car, be prepared to compromise on other things you may want.

Aftermarket supercharged cars are a bit of a roll of the dice, depending on the installation and tune. Lower priced ones are often lower priced for a reason.
Good point. Thanks for the advise. I understand $33k is a bit low for a good SC elise/Exige but I have seen many of them around this price range.
I have owned turbocharged car but never experience a SC. What are the tests I should do before the purchase? compression test, etc?

Thanks!!!
Matt

·
He's on fire!
3,088 Posts
but I have seen many of them around this price range.
If you've seen many, why aren't you out buying one of those rather than waiting for someone to come to you? :rolleyes:

If its factory supercharged, most of these cars don't have enough mileage on them to warrant bothering with compression tests IMO. If its aftermarket or is higher on the mileage that would change my mind though.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Good point. Thanks for the advise. I understand $33k is a bit low for a good SC elise/Exige but I have seen many of them around this price range.
I have owned turbocharged car but never experience a SC. What are the tests I should do before the purchase? compression test, etc?

Thanks!!!
Matt
Matt,

Many around that price range? Many? What is many? Altogether, Elise and Exige, there probably are not 1000 (350 07 Exige, 150 08's, probably not 200 09/10/11 together. Not sure how many factory SC Elise's, but it's not many) factory supercharged cars in the US total. At any given time some of those are for sale, but I've never seen one at $33K...not to say there haven't been any, but I've not seen any and I look around a lot. You may see some higher mileage 07 Exige S's, with or without stories, getting to that point, but hardly any, if any, are there yet.

The factory supercharged Elise's are all newer cars, some still with warranties, and are bringing bigger bucks.

Anyway, best of luck. This is all about being in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion here. I am not talking about the factory SC. I know they only available in the later years. I have seen many 05 06 lotus elise/exige. with an aftermarket SC last year. Ok.. let me correct my word here.. Not many but some! I remember seeing some here on the forum and some on craiglist and auto trader, etc.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you've seen many, why aren't you out buying one of those rather than waiting for someone to come to you? :rolleyes:

I have seen some elise/exige with aftermarket SC last 6 months. My reasons of not buying one are:
1) I didn;t have the money yet
2) too far =>1000miles away from me
3) they were sold quickly.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I have seen some elise/exige with aftermarket SC last 6 months. My reasons of not buying one are:
1) I didn;t have the money yet
2) too far =>1000miles away from me
3) they were sold quickly.
If you're buying aftermarket just be sure, to the extent you can be, that it was a quality install. There are a lot of cars that are running great with no problems, there are some out there that have had superchargers added that have been headaches for their owners.

Another thing to double check: what are Kansas' laws relative to emissions? It is not unusual in a supercharger upgrade for the car to be de-catted or have the emissions system otherwise compromised. It's better to be sure your car as modified will meet your state's requirements before you plunk down the cash, get the car home, and find you cannot legally get it titled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2005 Elise nightfall blue, touring, star shield stage 2 exhaust, hard top, 25000 miles ,mint condition, located in New hampshire in the price range . Email me for photos and phone contact [email protected] Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts