The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, washing the car today and the thing broke off. I've noticed it's been loose for a long time. Does anybody have one, maybe from a wrecked clam or something. I'd love to be able to get one before or at LOG.

It's the small plastic grill under the headlight on the pass. side.

Thanks!
Keith

·
Registered
221 Posts
I may have what you need.

If it's the Driver's side little front grill.

Paul

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The beeyatch is replacing it.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's the Driver's side little front grill.

Paul
Thanks, I need the pass. side though.

Randy, is it true you have to take off the clam? That's what someone said on our mountain drive yesterday.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yes, to get access to the single screw. Or you can do what I did, just tie wrap it in place.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
IIRC, you can remove the headlight housing and drill a small hole to access the screw. There's a thread somewhere here about that. Ace10, where are you?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I do recall the thing about drilling a screwdriver access hole. Jack up car, remove wheel, remove wheel liner, remove headlight. Easier than removing the entire front clam for sure.

Or stick the grill in and use a dab of hot melt and call it a day.

Necro, yes... some things will drive you crazy. In general, it seems less focus for a few things on the Elise was put on access for maintenance. I am a bit spoiled now with the Noble with the fully hinged clams front and back. But the Noble also has its own quirky bits, like removing the dash requires removing the windshield.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Randy, what did you tie wrap it to?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Had this happen to me yesterday while I was washing the car. I ended up zip tying a clip to the lower post and used that to hold the grill to the clam.
Randy, what did you tie wrap it to? I could not find anything that would hold it, hence the clip

The bottom is held by the tab fitting into the slots right? So that leaves the top. I used two very small zip ties. One around the small flange that the screw threads into on the grill. The other around the screw hole in the clam.

I felt the car looked better with NO grill, but had to re-install them to be technically legal in my SCCA class.

·
Registered
96 Posts
is it still under warranty?

My dealer replaced mine for free when I told him that it fell off during washing my car...worth a try to save you some time and money.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bottom is held by the tab fitting into the slots right? So that leaves the top. I used two very small zip ties. One around the small flange that the screw threads into on the grill. The other around the screw hole in the clam.

I felt the car looked better with NO grill, but had to re-install them to be technically legal in my SCCA class.
If it wasn't for the tab and slot at the bottom, I do think it would look better with no side grills. Thought if I couldn't get a new one on before Log, I'd play with some matte black vinyl to cover the tab at the bottom.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer replaced mine for free when I told him that it fell off during washing my car...worth a try to save you some time and money.
I'm out of warranty. There is no more "free". (actually maybe I shouldn't say that, they did give me a new battery for my key fob :up:)
It fell off after picking it up from the dealer while was giving it a wash. That was sheer coincidence though and not their fault at all. They never touched my car while it was there. It was only in the back parking lot while I had one of their cars to do stripes on. It had been loose for a long time- ever since I got it back from the body shop. So I think the top tab had always been partially broke, either from re-using my old part or from them maybe trying to forceable install it from the front.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I used some 2 part epoxy and a rivet when I broke mine off and that was over a year ago. It is still rock solid today, unlike the passenger side which I have not managed to break yet. I took nothing off the car to do it. All I did was place masking tape all around the area because epoxy is messy and so am I when using it. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That is why, if I had to do it over again, I would just put a dab of hotmelt above it.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Black PRC adhesive would work better. That's what we use on the airplane.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Ehh....nothing a little 600 mph duct tape wouldn't cure. :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Is the airplane glue compliant and removable? That was my thought, that it should be able to be easily removed, yet stick. And some compliance would be good.

p.s. What are we looking at in the guts of that airplane?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
the PRC will come off.... it's an aircraft grade silicone, that's a lot stickier than regular silicone. That looks like the forward baggage bulkhead to me..Looks like baggage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts