The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if I can snatch a good deal on an Elise I'd LOVE to have one. I'll need to sell my Mustang which would be hard to part with but an Elise is... just .. awesome! I found one on eBay I was really considering but I think it got sold... the guy said he'd let it go for $19K (asking $20K) because it has a salvaged title, however, everything was fixed and it ran fine.

If anyone here has one under $24K let me know. A salvaged title in itself doesn't bother me -- but if the car has issues or problems that haven't been fixed and need addressing or if there is anything with the car I need to worry about then I wont take it. I need a DD, I think the Elise would be suitable for my DD use if I could find a junker for a couple hundred to drive on bad days or in the winter. (Anyone drive theres in the winter??)

Send some pics and prices my way. It doesn't necessarly have to be your car either! If anyone knows of any that fit my description let me know please!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That should bet you about two thirds of a decent one -

Good Luck

Personally I'm looking for the new Ferrari F-500 for $100,000

·
Registered
470 Posts
stay away from a salvaged title unless the person is on here and they are a regular. You will have a hard time finding one for the that price, but keep looking and be patient. with the economy going the way it is, you might be able to snag one up.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Salvaged Lotus is a death trap. The frame structure is not something you can just fix or bend back. I'd stay away from them. Be patient and you'll find the right one. Get ready to haul 1,500 lbs less, you'll feel like your elephant just became a cheeta.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol. I'll keep my eyes peeled. If anyone comes across something let me know!
I saw one on ebay, clear title no damage history or anything go for around $21K not long ago.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I saw one on ebay, clear title no damage history or anything go for around $21K not long ago.
Anything that sounds too good to be true.........is.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Anybody who is seriously thinking about selling someone their clean, undamaged, 'low' mileage Elise for $21.K, please PM me. I'll give you $21.5.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Rebuild title? I can sell you my 2007 Exige S for 24K, it costs a little more, but it's supercharged. It HAS been totalled after a little fender bender, but it's really nothing that won't buff out with a wheel and some light compound...

:D

ROFL

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Salvaged Lotus is a death trap. The frame structure is not something you can just fix or bend back. I'd stay away from them. Be patient and you'll find the right one. Get ready to haul 1,500 lbs less, you'll feel like your elephant just became a cheeta.
A salvage Lotus MIGHT be a death trap.

Or it might have just been body damage.

Listen, I'm in the camp of avoiding damaged cars, but let's not throw out broad generalizations as if they were true without exception.

xtn

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A salvage Lotus MIGHT be a death trap.

Or it might have just been body damage.

Listen, I'm in the camp of avoiding damaged cars, but let's not throw out broad generalizations as if they were true without exception.

xtn
Thats what I wouldn't mind at all -- if it has minor body damage that hasn't really affected the car in anyway, other than visual, wouldn't bother me so much as long as it is drivable and could be fixed over time (and not break the bank to fix it).

I also wouldn't mind getting a high mileage one either, which would also save money... I just hope Lotus car's aren't like my old Mazda 626... that thing hit 100K miles and literally fell apart, new tranny, waterpump, radiator, over heats all the time, wont shift into lower gears, just a huge mess.

I've always wanted an Elise ever since I first laid eyes on one. You guys that own them are VERY lucky... I'd put 1k miles on it every week if I had it lol. (I put 1K every two weeks on my Mustang when I first bought it :p)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
seems decent ones can be bought here with an asking price of 27-28ish. That means many would likely take 26ish. Is 1-2k really enough of a difference not to get a decent one with no stories? If so it may not be the right car for you honestly. You may be able to get a good example for that if you try hard enough and wait long enough. Id pay the extra grand or so and get a really nice example right away and start enjoying the ride...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
man thats a deal on that exige, it looks like it even has the touring package!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These threads become more common, yet never get any less annoying...

Question to the original poster, have you driven an Elise yet?
Then dont come in these threads if they are so annoying to you... honestly tell me where else is anyone supposed to get any information about the cars from KNOWLEDGEABLE people, not just some dealer trying to sell a product (which is likely over priced)??

Have I driven an Elise? Nope. I live in a small town of 25k people. The closest Elise to me is in the twin cities with a price tag of (I think) $50K -- why bother? Would I test drive before I buy? Of course, although I know I'll love it. I know you'd rag on me for saying "you never know if you'll like it or not" but I know I would. I drove the Mustang I have now for probably 1 minute and I knew I wanted it -- that's just the kind of person I am. I know what I want, and I've done a TON of research on the Elise and I know it's right for me. The only thing I could see happening if I do get the car is me being way to over protective of it :shrug:

Yeah I would rather pay the extra 1-2K to get a clean one, but I am in no hurry and I'm assuming this winter some will be on the cheaper side and fit my budget (yet still be a clean car). Last winter I saw a few go for my price range with some miles on them.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
what mustang you got?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Track pack too, it's calling. rotfl

·
Registered
852 Posts
One of the problems at that price is your timing - cars like this are significantly more expensive mid-summer than they are in January-February. If you're on a tight budget, I'd wait until next winter, and be prepared to travel a little to find one.

John

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of the problems at that price is your timing - cars like this are significantly more expensive mid-summer than they are in January-February. If you're on a tight budget, I'd wait until next winter, and be prepared to travel a little to find one.

John

Yeah I figured they would all be expensive this time of year and I do plan to wait it out until the winter rolls around. I have no problem traveling to get the vehicle... I drove 18 hours non-stop (other than gas and one stop for food) last spring. I enjoy the road...

Anyone have any guestimates on what an Elise with 50k miles would go for next Dec-Feb?

Or maybe I coudl through this idea out and drive up to the Twin Cities and drive yours every day for you jhnmdahl... :p

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Anyone have any guestimates on what an Elise with 50k miles would go for next Dec-Feb?
20k-22k

I think an elise with 50k miles on it is worth 24k right now. These cars arnt worn about by then but 50k is on the high side for how much these cars seem to be driven. Honestly your 24k mark isnt far off just be a bit paitent and you will find one with no stories for that......

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How long will these cars last with good maintenance and not being abused much? Miles dont bug me so much as long as they aren't like previous experiences I've had (needing new trannys and a bunch of other overpriced stuff at 100k miles, etc.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts