The Lotus Cars Community banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,900 Posts
Dude, cars gone, chalk it up to lesson learned and be more aggressive on the next one if it ever comes up. Sometimes compromises have to be made and a 260 in my opinion isn’t any better then a well sorted Exige with some upgrades. Calling out a reputable dealer / person who’s been doing this for a super long time and knows them in and out isn’t the way to go.

·
Registered
2006 Exige Garage Art
312 Posts
Mr. Kart. Within this thread you're both looking for EXACTLY what you want, while at the same time concerned about resale. The cars are an awesome experience and in theory you should be able to get what you want, even if it is for a short time. I have heard MANY a story, including the story of mine when it was for sale where financing falls through. I also am in sales and financing falls through all the time. To me hearing "getting financing" is becoming the same as a tire kicker, or let me ask my wife...

Also, to echo others an upgraded non-S260 may be the sweet spot for these cars! But it your monthly payment you should get what you want.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Mr. Kart. Within this thread you're both looking for EXACTLY what you want, while at the same time concerned about resale. The cars are an awesome experience and in theory you should be able to get what you want, even if it is for a short time. I have heard MANY a story, including the story of mine when it was for sale where financing falls through. I also am in sales and financing falls through all the time. To me hearing "getting financing" is becoming the same as a tire kicker, or let me ask my wife...

Also, to echo others an upgraded non-S260 may be the sweet spot for these cars! But it your monthly payment you should get what you want.
I don't want to ignore your comment but I said I would shut up so please forgive this non response. I appreciate your comment and everyone letting me vent here.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Lesson is to pre qualify so you can instantly pull the trigger when an opportunity presents itself.

·
2006 Exige
1,051 Posts
Considering how low interest rates are, it makes no financial sense to pay cash.
I do agree about the low int rates.

I meant pay with cash and get the loan later. Can you do that? I've always bought cars with cash.

Like others have said, you really have to be ready to buy at a moment's notice if you're looking for certain cars.

·
Premium Member
2010 Exige 260 Sport, 1979 Eclat, 1969 Type 61 Formula Ford
59 Posts
I picked up my 260 a couple months ago. It wasn't my first choice of color but there are so few and they so rarely come on the market I snapped it up. I paid cash in order to get the deal done, knowing full well that I could do better taking a loan and leaving that money in an investment account. In the current market, no one is going to wait for financing when cash is on the table, actually usually a line of buyers with cash. Bottom line - it was worth it. So, my advice going forward with your quest would be to have cash at the ready and be willing to "overpay."

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I picked up my 260 a couple months ago. It wasn't my first choice of color but there are so few and they so rarely come on the market I snapped it up. I paid cash in order to get the deal done, knowing full well that I could do better taking a loan and leaving that money in an investment account. In the current market, no one is going to wait for financing when cash is on the table, actually usually a line of buyers with cash. Bottom line - it was worth it. So, my advice going forward with your quest would be to have cash at the ready and be willing to "overpay."
I don't need an 260. I want one but it's not a need. I rather retire early. If it means I miss out, I guess I will just have to live without.

·
2006 Exige
1,051 Posts
How does that work? If I paid for the car with cash, why would I take out a loan? I am confused.
By your last post, it sounded like you have the cash available, but it didn't make sense for you to use that cash on a car when the interest rates are so low (opportunity cost).

Buy the car with cash to have the best possible chance of securing the car you want.

Take out a loan against that car after it is yours and then you can "invest" or whatever you have planned for your cash.

Good luck in your search. If you'd rather retire early, definitely get an '06, with or without a supercharger. It is the same car afterall.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Not doing business with Hayes again. After refusing to take my deposit multiple times, after taking my info to send me a purchase agreement at which point I again asked where to send deposit, he sells the car to someone else. And not even for more. It's not like the car won't sell. If it didn't work out with me, he knew he would still sell it tomorrow.

His argument is that he was trying to protect my deposit because I was securing financing. Had I failed to get financing, I lose the deposit but that's my fault. I can't and won't blame him for that. We are all adults. And I did get financing.

Oh well. Cest la vie.
That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
By your last post, it sounded like you have the cash available, but it didn't make sense for you to use that cash on a car when the interest rates are so low (opportunity cost).

Buy the car with cash to have the best possible chance of securing the car you want.

Take out a loan against that car after it is yours and then you can "invest" or whatever you have planned for your cash.

Good luck in your search. If you'd rather retire early, definitely get an '06, with or without a supercharger. It is the same car afterall.
Not sure if banks loan money for people to invest but I like the way you think. The 260 is my dream car. If I am going to do it, might as well do it big.

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
You could buy my 2014 Lotus Elise Cup R - and its titled and registered. Stock. Let me know!
Why don't you place a FS? Bet it would be popular!

141 - 160 of 168 Posts