The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen one of these for sale lately?

These were the ultimate bike when I was cycling years ago and I'm dying to have a 2 lotus garage. They were about 3 grand for the frame back in the day but I am afraid they are collectors items now.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP!

·
Registered
7,483 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DAMN YOU!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And if he isn't trying to sell it he probably doesn't want what I'm willing to spend.

Thanks for the lead!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have a Lotus Sport 110. I bought it to satisfy the same itch that you have. I'll warn you, it did not satisfy the lust. I had to get more and still feel an urge to accumulate more Lotus!

I bought it new from a company called Nytro who were the sole distributors for the US market. I am not sure if they are still in business. They were primarily a supplier for triatheletes. Mine came supplied with Shimano Dura-ace components and similarly high quality other components. It cost abput $5k new. It might be worthwhile trying to see if Nytro still exists as they might still have a frame tucked away in storage. If they do it will likely be a large or small frame.

The Lotus part of the bike is the frame, the fork, the drop-outs (the part that the rear wheel clamps to) and the seat mount. Everything else is non-Lotus and specified by the rider.

The best place to look for one is e-bay (I have seen a number of them listed over the years but it occurs fairly rarely and the seller usually think they are worth what they paid for them). Also, since they were primarily used by Triatheletes I would think that venues used by them to buy and sell equipment would be a likely place to look.

A word on condition. The seat height is set by cutting the stem to suit the size of the rider, then drilling holes in the stem to fit the seat mount. Once it is done it can not be adjusted, so if you intend of riding it you'll need to buy one set up for a rider within an inch of your height. The frame is carbon fiber and it is made out of two halves that are bonded together. Because it is shaped like a Z rather than the traditional diamond with tringulated center frame member the frame is subject to a torque effect as the rider gets out of the saddle and applies pressure to the handlebars as the pedals are pumped. This causes the frame to develope a stress crak down the middle of the "top tube". I doubt you will find a used bike that does not have a crack in that location. Because of this the frames have a limited life for use. I retired mine when I started to see the crack. It is still ridable, but the more miles that go on it the bigger the crack will get. I don't think it is reasonably fixable

They are amazing pieces of engineering, have significant history in the cycling world, and best of all carry a legitimate Lotus type number - the veladrome bike is 108, the road bike is 110)

Good luck finding one. I think a reasonable price for a used one with a crack that is not too bad and in good shape otherwise would be about $3k.If you find one it would be a nice addition to your Lotus inventory. If I can be of further assistance ot answer any question let me know, I'll follow the thread for a while if they come sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I have been oogling them since I was on the Jr National team in Highschool. Got to see one or 2 at races back in the day.

I wouldn't plan on racing it. But I wouldn't mind being able to ride it once in a while.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had one once... was my only Lotus at the time!

Sold it to a guy in the UK for about $7500US Plus $1000 shipping (he wanted is fast!) Original ones are pricey!

The sale page is still up from a couple of years ago, I have heaps more pics too!

Lotus

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking at it... Where did you get that pic!!!

Looks like it's the one I had! Down to the red ano bolts on the cranks, syntace bars, Look Stem - I recognise the separate holes in the seatpost too!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HAHA. small world! Miss it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
A little - it was awesomely fast, but noisy and a little limited. Much like any Lotus I guess!

I've since been through a Scott CR1 Team Issue and now have a Scott Addict R2 (07).

With the disc rear on and wound up you could cruise comfortably faster than any other bike, wonderful piece of kit! Rare though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My pile of bikes. I don't ride any more. There is also a set of spinergys and a cannondale MTB not included.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I didn’t know we had so many cyclists here – nice.

I wonder if Lotus could be convinced to do another run or better still an updated version of this bike? Who knows, with car sales the way they are now a new profit center may seem attractive.

How do we go about asking them ???

I’m on a Cervelo P3 now – fantastic bike – but a Lotus would be totally irresistible :cool:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love the P3.

Not as much as some of the people I trained with

Dave Z and Danny Pate as well as some other talented American cyclists.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My facebook friends list is a whos who of late 90s track cycling

1 - 20 of 64 Posts