The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gearbox is experiencing a dying 2nd gear synchro, and I'm looking at replacing rather than repairing.

PM me if you've got a non-LSD C60 or C64 transmission

I'm located in Los Angeles, so please include a shipping quote too if necessary

TIA

Chris

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Just curious, can't you just use the Celica GTS 6 speed transmission? If so, you can buy them off ebay or junk yard for cheap.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the Celica tranny is the c60 and my understanding is that its identical to the c64 tranny lotua uses except with a taller 6th gear ratio.

Trouble is most c60s are high mileage relative to my car that has 17k miles. I wont be able to know how it was treated during those high mileage ranges...

I dont know if rebuilding is better or not..

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just an observation, but your low mileage one (17k) is already dead. I'm not sure buying a low mileage (by Lotus or any other standard) ensures that it was treated any nicer.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but low mileage does not correlate well to not abused/treated nicely. Same thing applies to tires, motors, brakes, etc.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, thats why I'm sort of hesitant to buy used, but I wanted to get an idea of the prices/availability of used trannies out there.

A rebuild may be the best option, or buying completely new. Still, if anyone reading this has a C60/C64 in good condition (broken in properly and you know the history of the transmission), send me a PM with price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts