The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for one 17 inch silver SSR wheel. I had purchased a set from a fellow lotustalk member, however, one was damage on shipment. I am pretty bummed about this (pic attached). If anyone knows where I could find one please let me know. I would also like to give a big thanks to Robbie Poe (Yeahiknowiam) for helping me deal with the shipping company to get compensated for the damage.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
180 Posts
Before you leave it for dead, maybe you should contact SSR. They might surprise you and be able to repair it.
I had one of my Porsche wheels damaged by a tire installer.... I contacted RH (the manufacturer) and they were able to fix it no problem.

Worth investigating.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks...I'll look into that. I was just concerned about taking them to the track after being repaired

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Can you get a better pic? I had wheels repaired on numerous occasions.. I can tell you whether it will hold up or not.

I usually keep repaired wheels in the back..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get a better pic? I had wheels repaired on numerous occasions.. I can tell you whether it will hold up or not.

I usually keep repaired wheels in the back..
Here are some more pics. I was just worried about tracking the car after a repair. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how could that type of crack occurred during shipping? Shipping damage usually consists of dents & dings. That looks more like a stress fracture from something like a tire machine that was positioned too close to the rim or something.

How it happened is irrelevant at this point, I guess. SSR may have a way of welding the crack, then re-rolling the rim back to round and making sure it's straight and true. They have the metallurgy expertise to be able to tell you whether or not it's safe to race on after a repair. If they tell you it can't be fixed, then you're no worse off, but I'd still pose the question. They should be able to give you an idea from the pictures.

I wouldn't give up yet!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Do you know what kind of material it is made of? If it has a good percent of aluminum the rim can be easily repaired.

Im worried about how the crack got there. Try taking it to a tire shop.. Put it on their balancing machine and just hand spin it. Im an almost certain that the rim will be egg shaped

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just out of curiosity, how could that type of crack occurred during shipping? Shipping damage usually consists of dents & dings. That looks more like a stress fracture from something like a tire machine that was positioned too close to the rim or something.

How it happened is irrelevant at this point, I guess. SSR may have a way of welding the crack, then re-rolling the rim back to round and making sure it's straight and true. They have the metallurgy expertise to be able to tell you whether or not it's safe to race on after a repair. If they tell you it can't be fixed, then you're no worse off, but I'd still pose the question. They should be able to give you an idea from the pictures.

I wouldn't give up yet!
I agree. The person at the wheel repair shop also felt that it was stress related. Said it could have taken a hit any where and then just split at that location. I do feel confident that there was no crack when shipped after talking to the seller. Now I just wait to see what the repair guy says...he has plenty of experience and also stated that he could get it round again if it were off.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yeah, there's absolutely no way the crack was there on shipment. The wheels were inspected many times over before selling. Again, Nick, I will do anything I am capable of doing for you. I'm sorry again for all of this... really sucks :sad:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, there's absolutely no way the crack was there on shipment. The wheels were inspected many times over before selling. Again, Nick, I will do anything I am capable of doing for you. I'm sorry again for all of this... really sucks :sad:
I believe you and I appreciate your help. Just trying to decide if fixing it is safe enough.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I saw these wheels before shipping and they were in good shape. (Robbie's Grandparents house is right by my Grandparents house and we were both visiting them at the same time) He was boxing them and just getting them ready to ship. As a matter of fact I have the tires on my car now that came off of them. I can vogue for Robbie being a very stand up and honest guy and I know he would of never knowingly sold any damaged goods. His ethics and morals are second to none and would probably even be viewed as extreme by most people here. I have had several transactions with him (both ways, buying and selling) and all of them have been excellent. As a side note, if you ever need custom T-shirts made his quality can't be beat. I don't know how it happened, but if he says it was damaged in shipping, it was damaged in shipping.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw these wheels before shipping and they were in good shape. (Robbie's Grandparents house is right by my Grandparents house and we were both visiting them at the same time) He was boxing them and just getting them ready to ship. As a matter of fact I have the tires on my car now that came off of them. I can vogue for Robbie being a very stand up and honest guy and I know he would of never knowingly sold any damaged goods. His ethics and morals are second to none and would probably even be viewed as extreme by most people here. I have had several transactions with him (both ways, buying and selling) and all of them have been excellent. As a side note, if you ever need custom T-shirts made his quality can't be beat. I don't know how it happened, but if he says it was damaged in shipping, it was damaged in shipping.
Well, I never doubted him. He has been more than helpful and I would order from him again in a second...no complaints on my end! I agree that it happened on shipping.

Stuff happens...I just want to get to the track!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts