The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the right side plastic duct that is pop-riveted in front of the right cooler. Part # A120B0090F. I'm going to the trouble to add the cooler, figure I may as well find the duct to go along with it even though it's probably not needed...

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
What car?

If Elise/Exige, you may not want all that oil cooling. These cars run with oil much too cold, which many believe causes that premature cam wear.

There is a thread going thru the details here.

My track days are gone, so I run with no coolers...as per BOE.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What car?

If Elise/Exige, you may not want all that oil cooling. These cars run with oil much too cold, which many believe causes that premature cam wear.

There is a thread going thru the details here.

My track days are gone, so I run with no coolers...as per BOE.
Yes, I know. Unfortunately, the cooler is required to be legal for SCCA SS class as the entire LSS package needs to be installed to have access to the LSS front wheels. I thought about blocking the coolers off with a plastic cover for normal use, or perhaps some update to the cooler bypass?

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
811 Posts
I would definitely recommend changing the sandwich plate to one with better thermostatic control. There are many thermostatic cooler bypasses out there that probably all work better than what Lotus used. I know the Mishimoto one is a common choice - get one with a high thermostat opening temperature - at least 80 C.

The biggest problem, I think, is that there's a quart or so of oil in the cooler lines and coolers. It's constantly and efficiently trying to get back to ambient temperature, particularly if the car is over 30 MPH and the cooler ducts are flowing air. You can get in a situation where the engine is hot but the cooler loop is still at ambient. The sandwich plate thermostat closes off the bypass and suddenly there's a quart of cold, highly viscous oil being pushed around the 30 foot loop of plumbing and coolers. It's fine in steady state, but the transitional state is a bear.

Consider the 20-60 C and 40-80C graphs on this page. There's a big change in kinematic viscosity between shirt sleeve ambient and desired operating temp.

Before I took my stock dual coolers out of circuit, I had closed off the inlets to both of them during cold weather. It was better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
I wrapped my coolers in rubber sheathing, but couldn't see temps.

Is it legal to install the cooler but block flow thru it??

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
811 Posts
Is it legal to install the cooler but block flow thru it??
Probably. The 'you need the whole package to claim having the package' rule doesn't require that everything in the package works. It's there to keep the street stock guys honest about stockness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts