The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WTB: Bride Zodia seat if it works with factory 3pt belt

Update: Settled on Bride Zodia. Please let me know if you have one for sale and it works with the factory seat belt, or can provide some information where I may get it with a good price. :bow:

Update 2: something similar that fits thin drivers is also welcome.

The stock seats for Elise are still wide for me as I am skinny. Being thrown around on the track hurts my waist, so I am planning to install harnesses.

1. Any seats with the upper holes for shoulder belts would work (like the stock Exige ones), better if they also have the lower holes for lap belts.

2. Must work with the factory seat belts, as this is also my commuter.

3. Prefer those that fit the stock rails. I do not have many tools for an installation that involves drilling/threading.

4. Prefer narrower seats, as I have a 30" waist.

5. Good lumbar support is a big plus.

6. A pair would be nice, but it is acceptable for now if you have only the driver seat. New or used both ok. Shipping is fine (I live in the Seattle area).

I think this is about what I can think of. Please PM your asking price or reply here if you have something like that for sale. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The stock seats for Elise are still wide for me as I am skinny. Being thrown around on the track hurts my waist, so I am planning to install harnesses.

1. Any seats with the upper holes for shoulder belts would work (like the stock Exige ones), better if they also have the lower holes for lap belts.

3. Prefer those that fit the stock rails. I do not have many tools for an installation that involves drilling/threading.

6. A pair would be nice, but it is acceptable for now if you have only the driver seat. New or used both ok. Shipping is fine (I live in the Seattle area).

I think this is about what I can think of. Please PM your asking price or reply here if you have something like that for sale. Thanks.
Have you looked into the Sector111 seat grommets? I know they don't really give you a tighter-fitting seat but they should allow the belts to cinch you in tighter.

I wish I had the problem of being too small for my seats. I am on the other side … pushing 220 and need to lose some weight for a more comfortable ride. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked into the Sector111 seat grommets? I know they don't really give you a tighter-fitting seat but they should allow the belts to cinch you in tighter.

I wish I had the problem of being too small for my seats. I am on the other side … pushing 220 and need to lose some weight for a more comfortable ride. :D
Thanks for the advice. I took a look at the grommets, do not really like the idea of cutting holes in the seat. I am not a very handy person so would rather spend more to get things right.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts

2 and 3 narrow the options completely to stock exige sport seats. anything else will require some fettling/bracket mnf. (to retain 3 point)

·
Registered
115 Posts
2 and 3 narrow the options completely to stock exige sport seats. anything else will require some fettling/bracket mnf. (to retain 3 point)
+1 on the Tillett seats. They meet all of your criteria.
They come with brackets, so relatively easy install.
Works fine with factory belts and harness.
More comfortable too.

·
Registered
842 Posts
+1 on the Tillett seats. They meet all of your criteria.
They come with brackets, so relatively easy install.
Works fine with factory belts and harness.
More comfortable too.
I'd also recommend looking at the Tillett seats--they appear to meet your criteria and are a good value as far as aftermarket seats go. I also use mine with both the stock belts and with a harness system for auto-x and track events.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, with so many recommendations for the Tillett seats, I am seriously considering them. I was mainly aiming at the stock Exige seats, since they are the easiest to replace the current one without much additional work for the harness. But all seem to agree that these are more comfortable.

I have just one concern. From the photo here

http://smitty.corsalogistics.net/Lotus_Talk/Two_B5_in_Elise.jpg

the driver seat does not have any cushion. Doesn't the CF surface feel too hard? The main reason I want to intall harness is to protect my waist, so sufficient lumbar support is important.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hmm, with so many recommendations for the Tillett seats, I am seriously considering them. I was mainly aiming at the stock Exige seats, since they are the easiest to replace the current one without much additional work for the harness. But all seem to agree that these are more comfortable.

the driver seat does not have any cushion. Doesn't the CF surface feel too hard? The main reason I want to intall harness is to protect my waist, so sufficient lumbar support is important.
That appears to be a right-hand drive car. The passenger seat does not have padding. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts

Tillett makes them without padding and with different configurations of padding.
The seats that Smitty usually sells, from this thread, have the 3 padded surfaces (head, back and bottom) as in the right hand seat of your pic. I believe he can get the non-padded seats as well, but that could be slippery.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I took a look at the grommets, do not really like the idea of cutting holes in the seat. I am not a very handy person so would rather spend more to get things right.
1) doesnt like the idea of ruin a perfectly good seat by cutting it

2) would rather spend more to get things right

I like this guy already.

The seat grommet recommendation, while well intentioned, is not a good one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Settled on Bride Zodia

After some investigation, I feel like Bride Zodia is the best choice for me. It is narrow (waist<=32"), so will fit me perfectly as I am thin. It provides better side support than the Tillet. It drops directly into the factory holes on the chassis, only works for the driver side though.

The only thing I am not sure of is the factory safety belt. Sector111 claims I cannot use the 3pt with it, another site says they are not sure even after checking with Bride USA. But some users on this forum believe it works with the seat. I am :confused:

Can anyone with it on Elise confirm if the factory 3pt belt works? I am going to buy one with a positive confirmation. If someone has this seat for sale or can tell me where I can find it for a good price, that would be very nice :bow:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just got a Bride Zodia and though I have not mounted it yet, I don't see how it would work properly using a factory 3 point belt. I don't intend to use the factory belts anymore, but if I notice somthing different that makes me think they will work, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got a Bride Zodia and though I have not mounted it yet, I don't see how it would work properly using a factory 3 point belt. I don't intend to use the factory belts anymore, but if I notice somthing different that makes me think they will work, I'll let you know.
Damn, I guess I have to give up and find something else. How can I drive it every day with a harness? The cops must be surprised when they see that :shrug:

Let me know if you find some clue that proves otherwise.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Are the Tillet seats Hans compatible?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks John -

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have been driving all summer with schroth profii II harness from sector 111, which is DOT approved (because of the rip seam on the shoulder strap). I took out the 3 point oem belts. Im still street legal, right ? (sorry to hijack the thread, but cant understand while people want both sets of belts in car at same time, unless they pick a harness which is not DOT legal)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been driving all summer with schroth profii II harness from sector 111, which is DOT approved (because of the rip seam on the shoulder strap). I took out the 3 point oem belts. Im still street legal, right ? (sorry to hijack the thread, but cant understand while people want both sets of belts in car at same time, unless they pick a harness which is not DOT legal)
I do not mind at all. Actually, I am quite interested in the discussion, and glad that you have raised the question. This is my daily driver, so I do not want to pretend I am on the track all the time rotfl At the same time, I still doubt if all cops accept harnesses as legal seat belts. That's why I prefer keeping both around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts