The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to put harnesses in my '05 elise but from what i understand the only safe way to do this is to change my seats as well. So I'm looking for someone that has used aftermarket seats or seats that came out of a lotus that already had the right seats. My stock seats with biscuit leather would also be available for trade if you want them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. i thought it wasn't safe to cut through the stock seats to install harnesses?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i remember reading something about NOT cutting out the stock seats for harness holes.
IIRC, it was that in a rear end impact the head rest area is compromised and can collapse, thus making it like a seat from back in the old days where there was no headrest.
the reason for the headrest is to stop your head from snapping back and breaking your neck.

A friend of mine recently broke their neck, and is now a quadraplegic. trust me, you want to avoid an injury like this at any cost.

risking your body over a few hundred bucks does not sound like a bargain to me............buy the right type of seat.

Either my memory and what i am pretty sure i have read here on more than one occasion is wrong, or sector 111 is selling something that may lead to a customer of this product getting really "f'ed" up like my freind with the broken neck.
I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time, but i would hate for someone to get hurt because they trusted an aftermarket suppliers' product blindly, and thought they had a quick /cheap solution to solve their saftey issue.

If you think about how the structural integrity of the stock lotus seats would (potentially)be changed by removing all that material from the seat for the holes to be cut out, and the forces generated by a rear impact, and the potential for injury to the neck in an extreme motion of the head snapping back.

seems like someone, (maybe me?):shrug:, should do their homework a bit more.
i would hate to see someone get hurt (it wont be me), i would hate to see a business have such a big liablity mess on their hands.

If it were me doing this modification to my car again , I would definately do the same thing i did the first time around............dig in my pocket and buy a seat specifically designed for the safety i expect out of it.

may not be a popular post, but i do feel that saying nothing about this is the wrong thing to do.

Fishguy

·
Vendor
3,177 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i want to make sure i do this the safe way. that's why i wanted to see if someone has seats that might be suitable without spending $2000-4000 on brand new seats.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I thought you were done mod-ing your car?

How was LRP last week?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does anyone know how the seats are tested? Has anyone calculated the reduction in strength from cutting the holes and installing the inserts?

I'm not advocating that it is safe, but in the absence of testing or modeling I'm not convince that it isn't.

Many conclusions that seem "obvious" aren't necessarily so.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If you want harnesses, you need to go ahead and buy the sport seats (i.e. Exige seats) made for the car- I picked mine up from Robert @ Blackwatch-

Then you can sell your elise seats to recover some of the costs-

It all boils down to, how important are harnesses to you? If you're tracking, and/or autoxing, they're really nice to have-

...and, oh yeah, leave the stock, 3-point belts in the car for street driving-

·
Registered
459 Posts
If cutting holes in the stock seats is such a big deal, how do I know that any of the aftermarket seats (with holes) are any safer? Seems the only safe way to go is to get the Exige seats, as Phantom suggests. Those have holes for the shoulder straps and are Lotus made.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You have to ask if an aftermarket seat has any sort of safety rating; like those used for racing seats. Sparco and Recaro both make seats that fit our cars and have the holes and are certified.

The Exige seat is a better choice for a non-dedicated track car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts