The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Some Id*ot* slashed my top today..TWICE!

and my ride is only 2mths+

very sad i am... :(

Need a replacement canvas,
but im fine too if it's the complete soft top assembly

I've got hundreds of stone chips, right door sill worn out, air-con faulty, ABS

light flickering, front lip scratched, numerous rattling and squeeks almost

everywhere! (now i a have a torn roof...)

but I'm not giving up on her! kindly help guys, thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
If they only slashed the top material and didn't damage the rest of the top, you could have it redone by an auto/marine upholstering shop. Check your local phone book for a shop and take your top there for a quote. They can usually replace the fabric for far less than a complete new top will cost. The fabric on our tops is common to other convertibles and our tops are basically flat, so they should have no problem sewing up a new top for you.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Sorry to read about your soft top! tesprit is right on the money. Any good auto upholstery shop in your area can whip up a new canvas top using your existing frame and bits. The material is very common (though good quality). Make sure they roll the edges like the soft top and build the little fabric rain channels on each side. Basically, they'll use the existing material as their pattern. Take some pics as a reference to make sure it has been sewn correctly.

If it's any consolation, I replaced the convertible top on my Fiat Spider a few years back with a brand new one all the way from Italy. It took half a day in my garage to fit it perfectly. I was so pleased...then, I thought...I should park it out front while I sweep up the garage (detached in the alley). 20 minutes later, I walked out front to drive the car back to my clean garage only to find someone had stabbed the back window and sliced it wide open...:mad:

Tom

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Sorry to read about your soft top! tesprit is right on the money. Any good auto upholstery shop in your area can whip up a new canvas top using your existing frame and bits. The material is very common (though good quality). Make sure they roll the edges like the soft top and build the little fabric rain channels on each side. Basically, they'll use the existing material as their pattern. Take some pics as a reference to make sure it has been sewn correctly.

If it's any consolation, I replaced the convertible top on my Fiat Spider a few years back with a brand new one all the way from Italy. It took half a day in my garage to fit it perfectly. I was so pleased...then, I thought...I should park it out front while I sweep up the garage (detached in the alley). 20 minutes later, I walked out front to drive the car back to my clean garage only to find someone had stabbed the back window and sliced it wide open...:mad:

Tom
I hate the human race. An animal would never do something like that. So I think that puts animals below humans. Ok, some monkey's might, but they are pretty close to humans anyway.

That sucks, sorry to hear that both of you. :(

·
Registered
140 Posts
... air-con faulty, ABS

light flickering, front lip scratched, numerous rattling and squeeks almost

everywhere! (now i a have a torn roof...)

but I'm not giving up on her! kindly help guys, thanks
The ABS light flickering or the brake light flickering? If its the brake light it might just be a matter of topping of your brake fluid.

RE the faulty AC, do a search on here there are some fixes that people have done to make it work better, something about drilling a hole somewhere or something like that, but there are some who say the AC is what it is and for some reason it just works better on some cars rather than others.

HTH,
Larez2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Tom
Thanks for sharing Tom, couldnt have imagined how you felt back then...

thats also one of the reason i dont wanna replace it so soon.

Think i'll just hang on with it for a while...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ABS light flickering or the brake light flickering? If its the brake light it might just be a matter of topping of your brake fluid.

RE the faulty AC, do a search on here there are some fixes that people have done to make it work better, something about drilling a hole somewhere or something like that, but there are some who say the AC is what it is and for some reason it just works better on some cars rather than others.

HTH,
Larez2
It's the ABS light, sometimes it turns into a disco light dancing along to trance music. Thanks for the info, i'll do a search on the AC

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
My AC stunk until I figured out that leaving the fan on 2 made the car cooler than putting it on 3. Now it works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts