The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
nah... that is a very limited run - i don't think he will be cutting it up!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning to go with a 2007 Variable Turbine Tehnology turbo engine. I think it will fit with enough cutting...rotfl

Yes this one would remain stock except perhaps OEM Porsche Euro market upgrades.
It would be my daily driver to the Porsche store if I end up getting one so a low mile car really doesn't matter to me.
I took the wife to Carmel last weekend and during the drive down she says "since we just paid off your Lotus, why don't you go ahead and get the Carrera S Coupe that you've been talking about?":eek: I told her that I think I would enjoy a Speedster more. She rolls her eyes when she hears that it's a 1989:rolleyes:. But starts to listen to the idea more intently when I tell her it is about 1/2 the cost :up:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i have pics from when the car came out in '86 i think it was, at the tokyo motor show... have to see if i can dig them up for ya - very cool car - get it!!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Try calling this guy. If he won't part with one of his, perhaps he can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I've heard those cars have more vertical miles than horizontal miles :no:

good luck with finding one Perry

Neil

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Make mine a triple-black turbo-look cabrio

Hey Perry, you and I are on the same wavelength again... almost. I've been lusting after an '87 - '89 (i.e. G50 trans) 911 turbo-look cabrio for ~20 years now. All the show, not so much go as the turbo, but at least you don't have to deal with those turbos' antiquated (i.e. '70s) fuel-injection and engine management, not to mention world-class turbo lag.

Slap a mass flow sensor upgrade ,with an open air filter element, on there, in place of the air-flap box and a throaty exhaust (with equal length exhaust manifolds, i.e. "heater boxes") and you've got serviceable power (at least for those of you at sea level) and KILLER SOUND. The only thing that would make it sound better is a set of triple throat Webers!

As a matter of fact, the main reason I decided to keep the Elise and forego using my owner loyalty coupon on a '08 Exige S 240 is that the difference in price would still get me an '87 - '89 911 turbo-look cab.

I've got an '89 Porsche brochure around here somewhere that includes both the turbo-looks and the Speedster. Hmmm...

·
Registered
815 Posts
A bit different, but my boss is selling his 70's Porsche 930 (911 turbo widebody). This car has basically been fully restored. New paint, new 2.7 motor, Recaro seats, etc. It was restored by Autothority in Alexandria, VA. He has owned it since 1983 I believe. I can get more info if you're interested. I think he asking <$20k.

It looks just like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
What kind of money do the speedsters fetch now?

I had looked at a yellow one in the year 2000. Great raw sportscar.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard those cars have more vertical miles than horizontal miles :no:

good luck with finding one Perry

Neil

Neil, I work at a Porsche dealership with lots of lifts.. rotfl
Keena Turner(former 49ers dreamteam player) dropped his White Speedster off a few days ago for routine service @29K miles and I got the bug.. I really loved the look and simplicity of the car when it was first introduced. I have a buddy that has a triple Black one with under 1,000 miles!:eek:
Some of the prices are ridiculous. I will lurk and look for a decent buy on one and if the timing is right :shrug: I'm looking to spend under $50K.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ah, yes, turbo - look

I had an '86 triple black turbo look cab with wing delete. That was as close as I could afford to the speedster. If you're a porsche guy, then you know that the 3.2 often has valve guide issues (mine did...), and if I recall correctly, you have to do a leak down test to verify the condition of the guides. As you know, a top-end rebuild is expensive.

Also, the tops are very expensive to replace - mine was coming undone when I sold the car.

That said, I too would buy a speedster tomorrow if the wife would allow 2 sports cars. I think they're great. I liked my cab a lot, and would have liked it a lot more if it had more horsepower, which was my only area of dissatisfaction with the car (if you don't count dropping 8 grand on having the motor rebuilt...).

Good luck with your search - post a pic when you get your speedster.

tim

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Perry I will PM you with some options. Probably not what you want but who knows :shrug:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Perry,
I had an 89 Speedster. I actually owned the same car on 2 different occasions. I doubt that you will find anything decent under $50K. 89 Speedster prices are on the rise. The lines are drop dead beautiful. Even though it was supposed to be "lightweight at 2,750" you will find that the car actually feels quite heavy. Overall a great driving vehicle but vastly different than the Elise. You may consider an 87-89 cab. They are plentiful and you can get a pretty good buy on one at this time. Good luck with your search.
Bobby

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are right, it looks as if I can get a nice 05 C2S for about the same price.
Mid to upper 50's....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts