The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to sound like an odd request, but I am hoping that someone here will let me swap cars with them for a day or an afternoon. I am seriously looking at purchasing one of these, but my wife is very pessimistic that we will be able to live with the car. We test drove one at Newport Lotus (very nice people) so I am familiar with the car, but need more seat time before making such a huge decision.
I have a 1995 Ford F250 Diesel or a 2006 Jetta TDI to offer as "swap" material" if you need something to drive, and would of course return the car clean and full of gas. I can assure you that I am not looking to race the car, drive it hard or take it to a track and I can leave you with a deposit as well. I just need to spend more than 15 minutes in the seat of an Elise before I buy something that may be difficult to recollect my money on.
I live in Vista, San Diego but work near the Miramar base.
Thank You to any volunteers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Enterprise

You do know that you can rent an Elise from Enterprise Rent A Car in So Cal?

$250 per day.....+++++...good way to see if it is the car for you...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Svetlankas,
I was not aware of Enterprise having Lotus's. I was told that Rent-A-Vette in San Diego had them, but they closed the SD branch.
I will look into this, thank you.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
When I was in the market the dealer handed me the keys to the car and said 'bring it back before we close'.

If you can develop a relationship with your local dealer they may let you have one of their demos for more than 15 minutes. You don't really need a full day, more like and hour or so.

Go home. Go to Home Depot. Go to the mall. Go to the grocery store. Go to the airport. Go back to the dealer.

That should be enough seat time to give you an accurate idea of what using an Elise is like.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you have already driven one then you should know if this is a car for you....

Anymore time in the seat will not change this... :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
If you have already driven one then you should know if this is a car for you....

Sounds like it's more about convincing the wife...:evil:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

+1 A customer took me around the block. The next day I took myself around the block in the one I bought

·
Registered
93 Posts
After I test drove mt first Lotus, I remarked to the owner, "That was the most fun I EVER had in a car....by myself!"
From then on, it was LOVE......

Funny thing is the wife enjoys the car about as much as I do....

But agree with the above comments...seat time wont change a thing...either it is for you...or not your cup of tea....

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I'm surprised you're not getting any takers on this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is much more about convincing the wife. She likes the Cayman S's, will I like the more gritty feel of the Lotus. Plus the lotus seems much cheaper to mod in the future when high 4's 0-60 gets boring.
I did not want to harass the dealers since I will almost surely be buying private party. Either way I will be looking for a sub $25k Lotus or a 2001ish Porsche 911 or I might break the bank on a Cayman S to make my wife happy. Whatever I get it will be a whole lot faster than my 100hp Jetta!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Whatever I get it will be a whole lot faster than my 100hp Jetta!
"At my old school, detention usually involved being asked to write a 1,000-word essay about the inside of a ping pong ball. So I’m well qualified to write about the new Volkswagen Jetta. Because I spent every Saturday afternoon for five years writing about the precise chemical breakdown of air, it’s a breeze to fill these pages with prose about what is unquestionably the most boring car in the whole of human history." – Jeremy Clarkson

Jeremy Clarkson Volkswagen Jetta review | Driving - Times Online

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes, it is much more about convincing the wife. She likes the Cayman S's, will I like the more gritty feel of the Lotus. Plus the lotus seems much cheaper to mod in the future when high 4's 0-60 gets boring.
I did not want to harass the dealers since I will almost surely be buying private party. Either way I will be looking for a sub $25k Lotus or a 2001ish Porsche 911 or I might break the bank on a Cayman S to make my wife happy. Whatever I get it will be a whole lot faster than my 100hp Jetta!
I'd stay away from ANY 911 from '99 thru '01. I forget the exact reason but many mechanical issues. Dealers also don't want them so in the future if you're planning on trading it in, forget about it. Porsche is really struggling right now so deals can be had on new Cayman's or buy a '02 and up 911...much better year. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bueno,
Thanks for the heads up, I will do more research on the 99-01's. That was a whole new model for them that year so its understandable that there would be issues. I think all of the manufacturers are hurting from the economic downturn right now. I have already lost 40% of the equity in my home, so even the thought of a brand new car right now makes my wallet cringe.
I am also going to retract my offer at this point to borrow the Lotus. I thought I was going to be able to convince the wife, but she is adament about NOT getting a Lotus. Too flashy, not enough amenities, and not fast enough to justify the lack of said amenities are the main arguments. Hopefully some day I will have the funds to enjoy both a Prosche and a Lotus as some of the members here do.
Thank you all again,
Chaoscreature

1 - 13 of 13 Posts